Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving with a job in Paris and I will soon have a Residence Permit, and so will my wife and child.

My wife is a registered dentist in India since 8 years. She specializes in Pediatric density; has done her Masters in Dental Science in India. She has been teaching dentistry (Asst. Professor in an Indian University) and is also practicing for the last 5 years in a well-known corporate hospital in India.

I understand that the process of getting oneself registered to practice dentistry in France (Paris in particular) will be a very tedious task, may even look impossible. However I was not able to find much help over the internet as two relevant govt. websites are in French – and I don’t read French as yet. Does anyone know the steps - Please guide us.

Secondly, can she take up a teaching job (dentistry related) in Paris without being a registered dentist in France?

Lastly, what could be an alternative yet related job for a dentist to look up immediately, and the one which won't need her to be registered? Like dental sales, etc..?

Thank you for your time and help in anticipation.

·
Administrator
51,624 Posts
OK, this is the website of reference: S'établir en France : Ordre National des Chirurgiens Dentistes And yes, for those from outside the EU with credentials earned outside the EU it's going to be something of an uphill battle. At a minimum she'll need to obtain a ministerial authorization plus demonstrate an adequate level of the French language.

As far as teaching is concerned, it would be up to the school itself. A school for aspiring dentists in France would most likely expect its instructors to be licensed dentists in France - both due to the language and to the specifics of the law and practice here in France. However, other schools (say, for medicine, anatomy or other dental-related types of classes) might be interested. Again, it could depend on her level of French.

But there's always the option of jobs in related areas. Technical writing, for example - for a scientific publisher who publishes in English or wants submitted articles on dental topics reviewed by a native speaker with some background in the area. Drug companies often hire medical people who can't practice here in France to review test results or other published information. There are also insurance companies (though this would require a reasonable level of French) or possibly doing some form of research or research assistance in the dental area. She's really only limited by her own creativity (and her level of French).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I would suggest your wife contact the dental association/professional body in India (assuming there is one) to see whether they can provide you with information in a suitable language on the requirements to register in France. But yes, expecting registration to be very difficult to achieve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts