Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ceiling in the bathroom is "peeling". To repaint should I just scrape away the paint that's peeling off and repaint or is there something else I should do? The bathroom is well ventilated, it's just that the paint is old, about 20 years old and needs redoing.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I just repainted my bathroom ceiling!

It's hard to give any specific advice on this because it depends on what the original paint was and what the surface underneath is.

As mysticmick said, your best bet is to scrape off as much of the old peeling paint as you can, give it a good rub down with sandpaper to key the surface and wash down thoroughly with detergent and sugar soap. Wash that down again with clean water, let it dry and repaint it with a couple of coats of emulsion. They do specific bathroom and kitchen emulsion paints that are more moisture resistant than normal emulsion paint you might want to consider using one of those.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just repainted my bathroom ceiling!

It's hard to give any specific advice on this because it depends on what the original paint was and what the surface underneath is.

As mysticmick said, your best bet is to scrape off as much of the old peeling paint as you can, give it a good rub down with sandpaper to key the surface and wash down thoroughly with detergent and sugar soap. Wash that down again with clean water, let it dry and repaint it with a couple of coats of emulsion. They do specific bathroom and kitchen emulsion paints that are more moisture resistant than normal emulsion paint you might want to consider using one of those.
Ahhh sugar soap. A blast from the past. I seem to remember my dad talking about sugar soap. What is it? And of course the inevitable question, what is it in Spanish?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Ahhh sugar soap. A blast from the past. I seem to remember my dad talking about sugar soap. What is it? And of course the inevitable question, what is it in Spanish?
Sugar soap is the stuff you want! It's essential for cleaning down paintwork prior to repainting because it removes so much grime and grease from the surface. It's so good, that sometimes when you've thoroughly cleaned down a wall with it that looked like it needed repainting, it looks so good you're in two minds whether to repaint it or not!

As to what it is or what it's called in Spanish I'm afraid I can't tell you. In the UK it comes in dissolvable powder or liquid form from hardware stores. Wilkinsons sell it, as do Homebase, B&Q etc. I'd try a ferreteria in Spain.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
The original ceiling was, in all probability painted with distemper or, worse, cal. After you get it back to the bare plaster, it is best to give it a coat of sealer such as PVA (similar to white wood glue) which will also create an impermeable barrier thus reducing future flaking off. Then paint with plastic emulsion paint.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I've never seen it here but it is the best stuff to use. Failing that, scrape the old paint off and then seal the ceiling with something like unibond. Then paint it.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info everybody. I'll go to my local paint shop and enquire about sugar soap and if not Leroy Merlin with the chemical name to see if there's anything similar.
I'll also have to revarnish doors this autumn. Should I use it on them as well?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
No not on wooden doors. Just rub them down with sand paper and then paint on a good varnish or whatever you want. Wooden doors are absorbent and don't need sugar soap...

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No not on wooden doors. Just rub them down with sand paper and then paint on a good varnish or whatever you want. Wooden doors are absorbent and don't need sugar soap...
OK!
I didn't think it would be a good idea, but always best to check with the experts!:)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
And I am an astrophysicist, not an expert decorator lol...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts