Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancé and I plan to get married in France.
He is a French citizen living in France, and I am an American living in the U.S.
He received a list of the documents that his mairie requires of me.
I have contacted the French consulate in Pittsburgh, who will sign and verify the documents that I provide (i.e translated long form birth certificate, etc.)
The French consulate here in Pittsburgh also provided me with a list of professional translators here in Pittsburgh.
Is there a way to obtain the French forms, the certificat de célibat et certificat de coutume in the U.S.?
I was going to start by getting the attestation tenant lieu de certificat de célibat et certificat de coutume, and providing it to the mairie in Soudan to see if they will accept that rather than a certificate de coutume from a French/American lawyer…I don't know that there are any French/American lawyers here in Pittsburgh, PA.
Some extra information in regard to our marriage:
We plan to get married in France, but I will only be there for 10 days, then I will return to the U.S. My then *hopefully* husband will come to the U.S. to stay with me (once there is accepted spousal visa, permanent resident and work visa, etc) until I have finished my job at my employment. After a year or so (maybe more, who knows?), we will relocate to his village in France.
Best laid plans…..:plane:

·
Administrator
51,620 Posts
You may be doing things "the hard way" but then again, there are probably circumstances beyond your control here, too.

The Certificat de célibat and related documents are pretty much only available through the US Consulate (and maybe even the US Consulate in Paris - the sub-consulates seem to be doing less and less these days). You may want to try contacting them directly to see what they can or can't do for you. Otherwise, you probably need to have your fiancé talk to the mairie to explain that the attestation tenant lieu.... is the only document "your" consulate can and will provide and ask them up front if they'll take it. (Ultimately, when push comes to shove, they take what they can get. But you have to approach the issue very delicately and do what you can to convince them that "it's all we can do.")

Just a small caveat - the process for getting a visa, green card, etc. for your new hubby will take at least 6 months AFTER the date of the wedding. Possibly more like 9 months to a year. And various folks over on the US forum advise that it can be risky for the foreign spouse to try to "visit" while the visa application is pending.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1 Posts
Obtaining marriage documents outside of the U.S. and France

How would a U.S. citizen go about obtaining the certificat de célibat and related documents if they are working in Israel? I plan on visiting the U.S. briefly in June (the wedding is in the beginning of September) but it will only be for a few days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts