Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am a British man who got divorced in the UAE. So, I have an Emirati divorce certificate. Now I am looking to get married to my new partner- who is from Saudi. From what I heard at the time of the divorce I will need to legalize/affirm the divorce in the UK. Further, we may have to marry without her father’s permission as although we are both Muslim he is the type that will accept nobody anyway!

Thanks for reading and would really appreciate any advice. Like can we get married in Dubai without her Dad’s permission or in the British Embassy or in the UK if we went there?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
The British Embassy don't do weddings, so that's out. Both being muslim, I think you have to get married in the court here - unless you elope and go somewhere and have a civil ceremony. Or Cyprus - where nobody cares.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having got married before coming out here the UK process is fresh in my memory.

I think it would be difficult if she hasn't got a EU passport hidden away anywhere? My wife is has Italian citizenship and it made the process very easy as there are no concerns on trying to 'game' UK immigration - although post Brexit I'm not sure what they'd do.

We also had to prove we were living in the same borough we wanted to get married in for at least 30 days before the wedding.

You def don't need fathers permission for it in the UK as her Dad wasn't in favour of it with us but you'll struggle if all she has is a Saudi citizenship I'd think

1 - 3 of 3 Posts