Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post was published in an FB group by me, in Arabic, and it was a big hit. Now it's time to translate it and share it here, with some minor edits
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 : Visa selection

There are several visas, basically this post will focus on visas 189 and 190.

189 is Skilled Independent. It means you do not need any sponsorship by a state, employer, or a person.

190 is State Nominated. It means you need a nomination by a state/territory government

IMHO, 189 is better and easier than 190, however, in some cases we have to resort to 190 for any of the following reasons

1- Your occupation is allowed to apply for 190 but not 189
and/or
2- You cannot achieve 60 points, but can achieve 55 (state nomination adds 5 points)

How to know if my occupation can apply for 189, 189 and 190, only 190, or neither?

Simple ..... First check in SOL :

Skilled Occupations List (SOL)

If your occupation is in SOL, it means you can apply for 189

If not, check in CSOL :

Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List

If it's there, it means you MIGHT be able to apply for 190. Why might? because you still need to find a state that nominates your occupation, AND make sure the conditions apply to you, since different states have different conditions for the same occupation, and the same state would have different conditions as well for different occupations.

To find which states are sponsoring your occupation, use the occupation code (six digits code, also known as ANZSCO Code) to search here

https://www.anzscosearch.com/

and find which states sponsor your occupation. Then, google for the state government website to find their nomination criteria for this job. Some states would require specific experience, English proficiency, graduation from that state, working/job offer in the state, relatives living in the state. Some require nothing at all, some require one or more of those conditions.

Now we're done selecting, moving on to the next step

Step 2 : Milestones to your visa

189 and 190 are pretty similar, the steps are

189 :

1a - English Test
1b- Skills Assessment
2- EOI
3- Awaiting invitation
4- Visa application

190 :

1a - English Test
1b- Skills Assessment
2- EOI
3- State Sponsorship application
4- Awaiting invitation
5- Visa application

In many cases, 1a and 1b can be done in parallel, in some cases, it cannot be and 1a has to happen before 1b, this is when your occupation's skills assessment requires an English test result (such as but not limited to : engineers, accountants, teachers...etc.), in other cases (managers, ICT professionals...etc.) you can do it in parallel

Now let's tackle each step of these

Step 1a - English test

Australia accepts various tests, such as IELTS General, TOEFL iBT, CAE, PTE Academic ...etc.

Unless your occupation requires a specific test (OET, IELTS Academic), you can do any of these.

Engineers Australia for instance still accepts only IELTS, but you can do two tests, for instance IELTS and PTE-A, use the former for EA Assessment and the latter for visa application, that's if you can't score the required score for the visa application in IELTS but can score EA's bare minimum for assessment, but can score higher in PTE-A

Competent English is the bare minimum for the primary applicant, it grants 0 points, but it is required. Proficient English is 10 and Superior is 20.

For information on test scores required for each of which, please refer to the links below

How can I prove I have competent English?

How can I prove I have proficient English?

How can I prove I have superior English?

Spouses require functional English only

How can I prove I have functional English?

Step 1b - Skills Assessment

In SOL or CSOL you can see an acronym/name besides your occupation, this is the assessment authority (ACS, EA, ADC, VETASSESS ...etc.). This is the body authorised by the government and immigration to assess you as suitable or not for the job code you are applying for.

Google for the assessment authority website, look for migration skills assessment on their website, look for requisites and requirements for a successful assessment and whether you qualify or not for the job

Google is your best friend here. There are literally hundreds of jobs across tens of authorities, no one will know all of them by heart !

Step 2 - EOI for 189 applicants

Now you need to submit the EOI, which is Expression of Interest. This is where you answer some questions that will determine your points and eligibility and await invitation based on your score, turn in the queue, occupation ...etc.

In brief, you have the following list which is NOT a comprehensive one, but includes what most people claim points based on

1- Age

< 25 = 25 points
25 to 32 = 30 points
33 to 39 = 25 points
40 to 46 = 15 points
Above 46 = 0

2- Education

Bachelors or Masters = 15 points
Diploma = 10 Points

3- Work experience (as assessed, not necessarily your actual number of years and could be less)

< 3 years = 0

3 to 5 = 5 points

5 to 8 = 10 points

8+ = 15 points

4- English

as explained in previous point

5- Spouse points

You can claim 5 points on your spouse if the spouse occupation is in the same list (SOL for 189, CSOL for 190), is assessed by his/her occupation's assessment authority, and has Competent English at least, and is < 50 years old.

Step 2 - EOI for 190 applicants

Same as 189, but you need to additionally choose a state, then using the EOI number, apply for the state at its website.

Step 3 - Awaiting invite

For 189 applicants, you need to wait for your turn, which happens as follows

1- if your occupation is not in the high demand (prorated) occupations, then you will get the invite by the next invitation round (invitations happen twice a month)

2- If your occupation is prorated, and you score higher than the current cut-off score (e.g. : cut-off score is 60, and you scored 65), you will also get it next round

3- If your occupation is prorated and your score is equal to or less than the cut-off, you need to wait for your turn a bit longer.

Monitor the SkillSelect round results (published about a week after the round) and from the dates you can relate to how soon you will get it (compared to your submission date)

For 190 applicants, you will get invited once the state accepts your nomination application.

The last step, visa application

Once invited, you have 60 days to apply for the visa, you simply apply online, fill the online form, pay using a credit card, charges are $3520 for primary applicant, $1760 for adult secondary applicants, $880 for child secondary applicants.

You will get a document checklist, which includes evidences of your claims in EOI (degree and transcript for education, payslips, bank statements, and taxation for employment evidence, birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc.)

At one point you will also need police clearances (For every country where you lived one year in the last 10 years) for all adults, medicals (for everyone), etc.

Last but not least

1- Google and the forum search are your best friends

2- Above instructions are just broadlines and not details so you might need to dig a bit deeper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi anyone knows can offshore applicant apply for 489 Subclass for South Australia.
my occupation is Business Analyst with 5 years of exp. MY ACS has done they deduct two years so left with 3 years of exp.
In Ielts, I got 7.5, 7.5,7.5,6.5.
help needed ASAP please

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi anyone knows can offshore applicant apply for 489 Subclass for South Australia.
my occupation is Business Analyst with 5 years of exp. MY ACS has done they deduct two years so left with 3 years of exp.
In Ielts, I got 7.5, 7.5,7.5,6.5.
help needed ASAP please
check with the SA government for 489 sponsorship requirements

·
Registered
2,114 Posts

Dear TheExpatriate,

This post is going to curb dollars for many Agents /Consultancies all over the world.

Will save hard-earned money for many aspirants.....

:clap2:

This post was published in an FB group by me, in Arabic, and it was a big hit. Now it's time to translate it and share it here, with some minor edits
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

189 is Skilled Independent. It means you do not need any sponsorship by a state, employer, or a person.

190 is State Nominated. It means you need a nomination by a state/territory government

IMHO, 189 is better and easier than 190, however, in some cases we have to resort to 190 for any of the following reasons

and/or
2- You cannot achieve 60 points, but can achieve 55 (state nomination adds 5 points)

How to know if my occupation can apply for 189, 189 and 190, only 190, or neither?

If not, check in CSOL :

If it's there, it means you MIGHT be able to apply for 190. Why might? because you still need to find a state that nominates your occupation, AND make sure the conditions apply to you, since different states have different conditions for the same occupation, and the same state would have different conditions as well for different occupations.

To find which states are sponsoring your occupation, use the occupation code (six digits code, also known as ANZSCO Code) to search here

and find which states sponsor your occupation. Then, google for the state government website to find their nomination criteria for this job. Some states would require specific experience, English proficiency, graduation from that state, working/job offer in the state, relatives living in the state. Some require nothing at all, some require one or more of those conditions.

189 :

1a - English Test
1b- Skills Assessment
2- EOI
3- Awaiting invitation
4- Visa application

190 :

1a - English Test
1b- Skills Assessment
2- EOI
4- Awaiting invitation
5- Visa application

In many cases, 1a and 1b can be done in parallel, in some cases, it cannot be and 1a has to happen before 1b, this is when your occupation's skills assessment requires an English test result (such as but not limited to : engineers, accountants, teachers...etc.), in other cases (managers, ICT professionals...etc.) you can do it in parallel

Step 1a - English test

Australia accepts various tests, such as IELTS General, TOEFL iBT, CAE, PTE Academic ...etc.

Unless your occupation requires a specific test (OET, IELTS Academic), you can do any of these.

Engineers Australia for instance still accepts only IELTS, but you can do two tests, for instance IELTS and PTE-A, use the former for EA Assessment and the latter for visa application, that's if you can't score the required score for the visa application in IELTS but can score EA's bare minimum for assessment, but can score higher in PTE-A

Competent English is the bare minimum for the primary applicant, it grants 0 points, but it is required. Proficient English is 10 and Superior is 20.

For information on test scores required for each of which, please refer to the links below

In SOL or CSOL you can see an acronym/name besides your occupation, this is the assessment authority (ACS, EA, ADC, VETASSESS ...etc.). This is the body authorised by the government and immigration to assess you as suitable or not for the job code you are applying for.

Google for the assessment authority website, look for migration skills assessment on their website, look for requisites and requirements for a successful assessment and whether you qualify or not for the job

Google is your best friend here. There are literally hundreds of jobs across tens of authorities, no one will know all of them by heart !

Now you need to submit the EOI, which is Expression of Interest. This is where you answer some questions that will determine your points and eligibility and await invitation based on your score, turn in the queue, occupation ...etc.

In brief, you have the following list which is NOT a comprehensive one, but includes what most people claim points based on

1- Age

< 25 = 25 points
25 to 32 = 30 points
33 to 39 = 25 points
40 to 46 = 15 points
Above 46 = 0

2- Education

Diploma = 10 Points

3- Work experience (as assessed, not necessarily your actual number of years and could be less)

< 3 years = 0

3 to 5 = 5 points

5 to 8 = 10 points

8+ = 15 points

4- English

5- Spouse points

You can claim 5 points on your spouse if the spouse occupation is in the same list (SOL for 189, CSOL for 190), is assessed by his/her occupation's assessment authority, and has Competent English at least, and is < 50 years old.

Same as 189, but you need to additionally choose a state, then using the EOI number, apply for the state at its website.

Step 3 - Awaiting invite

1- if your occupation is not in the high demand (prorated) occupations, then you will get the invite by the next invitation round (invitations happen twice a month)

2- If your occupation is prorated, and you score higher than the current cut-off score (e.g. : cut-off score is 60, and you scored 65), you will also get it next round

3- If your occupation is prorated and your score is equal to or less than the cut-off, you need to wait for your turn a bit longer.

Monitor the SkillSelect round results (published about a week after the round) and from the dates you can relate to how soon you will get it (compared to your submission date)

For 190 applicants, you will get invited once the state accepts your nomination application.

Once invited, you have 60 days to apply for the visa, you simply apply online, fill the online form, pay using a credit card, charges are $3520 for primary applicant, $1760 for adult secondary applicants, $880 for child secondary applicants.

You will get a document checklist, which includes evidences of your claims in EOI (degree and transcript for education, payslips, bank statements, and taxation for employment evidence, birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc.)

At one point you will also need police clearances (For every country where you lived one year in the last 10 years) for all adults, medicals (for everyone), etc.

Last but not least

2- Above instructions are just broadlines and not details so you might need to dig a bit deeper.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well done. This post should be stickied on the front page.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great effort! well done, brother!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you for structuring that information so clearly!

·
Banned
231 Posts
very good thread

and/or

If not, check in CSOL :

189 :

1a - English Test
1b- Skills Assessment
2- EOI
3- Awaiting invitation
4- Visa application

190 :

1a - English Test
1b- Skills Assessment
2- EOI
4- Awaiting invitation
5- Visa application

Step 1a - English test

1- Age

< 25 = 25 points
25 to 32 = 30 points
33 to 39 = 25 points
40 to 46 = 15 points
Above 46 = 0

2- Education

Diploma = 10 Points

< 3 years = 0

3 to 5 = 5 points

5 to 8 = 10 points

8+ = 15 points

4- English

5- Spouse points

Step 3 - Awaiting invite

Last but not least

Hi The Expatriate,

Good Work done by U - friend ....
This will be very helpful/useful to many wannabe PRs ......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts