Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have +ve assessment from Vetassess on "University Lecturers and Tutors" (ACT or NSW SS), with 5 points for 3 years of experience. My wife also has +ve outcome from EA which will also give me 5 points. I took IELTS on 7th June and scored more than 7.5 in all bands, so there is additional 10 points for me.

Total points = 30 (Age) + 15 (Education) + 5 (Experience) + 5 (Spouse) + 10 (Ielts) = 65 points.

I don't want to apply for 189 as it takes too much time, I know that 190 is quicker. So how do I apply to get SS, as they give SS to people with 55 points? Is there any way to not claim or declare some points irrelevant?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi tone_n_tune,

You can choose the type of visa and choose the state as well whilst you are doing your EOI. And I presume you know how to check the states that are sponsoring your skills. You have got good score and I think it wouldn't take long to get your invitation. Once you are done with this then you can go ahead and lodge your visa.

Well the other part of your query about not claiming points I found this thread gives some info. Please check this link. Hope this helps.

Good luck

·
Registered
613 Posts
So how do I apply to get SS, as they give SS to people with 55 points? Is there any way to not claim or declare some points irrelevant?

Thanks in advance!
I am not sure i understand your question here. If you mark the experience as "not relevant" you obviously cannot claim points for it. Did you mean, State sponsorship is given for people with 55 points only? I don't think this is correct. As long as your occupation code is in the list of the state's list and you satisfy other conditions (like IELTS/fund requirements etc) you can apply for it.
Also check if you can claim partner points if you apply for SS, the reason being - both your code and your spouse's code should be in the same list (Both should be in SOL or both should be in CSOL).
Also, agreed that with 190 you skip the Invite line since the 190 does not follow the regular invite process. But, you still need to get the sponsorship approved and only then you will get an invite, which might take longer than waiting for an 189 invite.
Also, 190 has a moral obligation to stay in the state sponsoring you for 2 years. This might be a limitation for some.

Study all the factors and choose wisely. Firstly, check if you occupation codes are present in 189 and 190. Then, check if they are present in the state's occupation list.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bond_vai,

The occupations are on the CSOL of NSW and ACT, so no problem here.

What my query is, I have more points than required for 190, but I intend to take state sponsorship. State will sponsor you if you show 55 points, not more. If more than 55 points is shown, then one has to apply for 189.

So how do I not show/claim some of my points?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Hi Bond_vai,

The occupations are on the CSOL of NSW and ACT, so no problem here.

What my query is, I have more points than required for 190, but I intend to take state sponsorship. State will sponsor you if you show 55 points, not more. If more than 55 points is shown, then one has to apply for 189.

So how do I not show/claim some of my points?
Why will you not show some of your points?:confused:

If I am not wrong; Your "University Lecturer - 242111" is not in SOL, only in CSOL.

So, your obvious way is Points Based Skilled Migration visa 190 or 489 which requires " State Nomination". :D

You may also choose Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS), Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS), Temporary Business (Long Stay) (Subclass 457).:croc:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Hi Mithu,

I will apply for 190 only. So will the state sponser me if I show my 65 points?
Sure, you will get SS if you meet the criteria of the that particular state.

BTW, check if you can claim partner points or omit this points. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi mithu,

Can you please describe the SS procedure?

I have all the docs, now where should I start first? First apply SS or apply to SkillSelect? Then?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Hi mithu,

Can you please describe the SS procedure?

I have all the docs, now where should I start first? First apply SS or apply to SkillSelect? Then?
Skillselect-----> State Nomination

Do some research about state nomination as each state has it's own procedure and criteria.
BTW, Have you completed your Phd.?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm doing PhD in an ACT Uni, so my current job would be PhD student/researcher.

If I have to apply to SkillSelect first, I can not claim more than 55 points in there, can I?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I'm doing PhD in an ACT Uni, so my current job would be PhD student/researcher.

If I have to apply to SkillSelect first, I can not claim more than 55 points in there, can I?
Nup, you can claim more than 55 points.No such restriction in State nomination.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi mithu,

Well, my points will be 70 including 5 from SS. Now should I not claim 5 points for work experience as it may lead to lengthy verification in Bangladesh? You can understand that my concern here is to get PR quickly. So what should I do?

PS: Should have clarified earlier, I'm a professional engineer who happened to be a Uni teacher in Bangladesh. My engineering skill is on SOL, but I only intend to take SS for faster PR. So I chose Uni Lecturer skill for CSOL, and this is giving me 5 points for experience. I have engineering experience too but not enough to get points for experience.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
My suggestion is , you could omit the points of 5 (Experience) and 5 (Spouse) and could get your PR quickly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would not my application rank higher if I show 65 points (only omiting 5 points for experience)? In this way lengthy experience verification can be avoided and DIBP will give importance because my wife (professional engineer) will also be a skilled applicant. Sounds logical?

I appreciate your response to my questions.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
For State nomination path way, higher or lower points is less important unlike 189 route . If you receive state nomination, you will get automatic invitation from skillsellect to lodge your visa application. So, points 60 or 80 is same when you choose 190 route.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got it.

But is there any preference if I show my wife has a skilled occupation which is listed in CSOL? Would not that make my case stronger to the SS case officer first, then to DIBP later?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Got it.

But is there any preference if I show my wife has a skilled occupation which is listed in CSOL? Would not that make my case stronger to the SS case officer?
Yup, may be . :D

However, You have not yet tell us about the ANZSCO code of both of you. If you fail to understand how to claim partner points, your application may lapse. Here , I am afraid! :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My occupation is University lecturer, and my wife's is Civil Engineer (I am a civil engineer too!). Mine is listed in CSOL only, while Civil Engineer is listed in both SOL and CSOL.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
My occupation is University lecturer, and my wife's is Civil Engineer (I am a civil engineer too!). Mine is listed in CSOL only, while Civil Engineer is listed in both SOL and CSOL.
Okay go ahead with partner points. Remember, while claiming partner points, she must have IELTS score 6 in each band.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts