Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am an Indian got married to a French citizen. Now, I am in Paris along with my husband on Type D Multiple Entry Vie Privee Et Fam. Visa. I have submitted the application to OFII the next day of my arrival in Paris( 27th March) by mail. I got an acknowledgement on April 24 mentioning the application is received. On June 9th, I got the first convocation to have the medical visit on 19th June. In between, I was attending interviews and got selected . I got the job offer but employer is asking for securite social number. When I contacted the CPAM nearby, guy over there has mentioned that in order to submit the application, OFII vignette is also required. I am not sure when I will get the next convocation from OFII to have the Vignette. Assume, it takes another month.

Kindly help me to know if I can get the securite social number without OFII vignette? Is it possible to add me in my husband's Carte Vitale? How long does it take? Is there a way to speed up?

Can I work without OFII vignette in Paris? I have the acknowledgement and medical report from OFII to prove that I have submitted the form to OFII. Kindly help.

Thanks
Ale

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
It's not a simple matter of whether or not you need the vignette to get the sécu number. (France always seems to have "complications" like this.)

Under normal circumstances, your first employer would submit the initial request for your social security (i.e. "sécu") number, given that you have not gotten one before. However, to do that, the employer has to have a "titre de séjour" number for their employee data base - and that's basically the vignette you are supposed to receive from the OFII.

You may want to contact the OFII and explain your situation. They should be able to tell you when you are likely to be convoked for your OFII processing appointment and it's then that you will receive your vignette.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thank you Bev.
I have contacted CPAM about securite social number. Without OFII vignette, it's not possible to apply. Then, contacted OFII. Reply is " Wait for Convocation". Convocation 'may' come in 3 weeks.

Now, it's 3 months over that I'm in Paris.. I was lucky enough to find a job but unfortunately don't have securite social number. Now, fingers crossed...

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
It's up to the employer whether or not they are willing to extend a hard offer to someone who is waiting for their "work papers." And, as far as getting the vignette is concerned, depending on how many folks they have waiting, the summer holiday season may (or may not) slow down their rate of convocation for the OFII appointments.

You may have to work with the employer to see if they will be willing to wait for you to get the paperwork processed. The problem is that it's the employer who is most likely to get into trouble if they are found to have hired someone without the proper documents.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Does that mean my Visa without OFII doesn't allow me to work?
That's an excellent question - and I'm afraid no one really knows the answer to that one. But generally speaking, I don't think the visa itself is considered "work papers." The type of visa indicates that you will be receiving work papers - but it has never been clear whether or not you have to go through the OFII processing before you can actually begin work.

All the sources I have seen state that the employer must see a titre de séjour that gives the foreigner the right to work in France or else they must obtain a formal authorization to work. Your visa isn't a titre de séjour until it has the vignette from the OFII.

The fines for the employer if caught with an employee on the payroll without the proper documents or authorizations include 15,000€ fine plus potential jail time of up to 5 years.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does that mean my Visa without OFII doesn't allow me to work?
If what you got is a Vie Privee Visa, take a look at the bottom and you'll see that you are authorisee to work, however payment wise may be a gray area till you got you vignette so it's better to do have one. However, an issue that arose with me ( 4 months away from expiration) is the renewal but at the prefecture, I was told if necessary, that my employer could even help advance the renewal process (if they want) because the contract I'm after is at least a year. Hope this makes sense

1 - 8 of 8 Posts