Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My wife is a french national. We got married in November 2012. I want to know the procedure how to get the resident card so that i can travel with her with ease. We live in Dubai UAE where i worked as a civil engineer. We are expecting our first baby next year in June.. I want to know the procedure how to apply apply for a french resident card while staying in dubai. Is it at all possible? What is the route for french citizenship? IS there any language test i need to give? I have a masters degree in engineering from Australia and i am a permanent resident of Australia as well . Can someone please advice?

·
Administrator
50,453 Posts
Hi,
My wife is a french national. We got married in November 2012. I want to know the procedure how to get the resident card so that i can travel with her with ease. We live in Dubai UAE where i worked as a civil engineer. We are expecting our first baby next year in June.. I want to know the procedure how to apply apply for a french resident card while staying in dubai. Is it at all possible? What is the route for french citizenship? IS there any language test i need to give? I have a masters degree in engineering from Australia and i am a permanent resident of Australia as well . Can someone please advice?
Basically, no, you cannot get a French residence card from outside France. You have to be resident in France.

If you plan on moving to France, you should be able to get a spouse visa with relatively little difficulty. The visa allows you to enter France with the intention of establishing residence. Once you have entered France (and have the stamp in your passport to prove it) you then have to meet certain requirements with the OFII - mainly a medical exam, classes in French "civics," evaluation of your level of French language skills and a visit with Pole Emploi to evaluate and counsel you on work possibilities. At that point you get a "titre de séjour" (basically a residence permit) in your passport. This has to be renewed annually - the first time you renew it, you'll get an actual carte de séjour.

If you want citizenship, you have to have been married for five years, reduced to 4 if you are resident in France while married. For citizenship based on marriage you can apply from outside France, but you have the same requirements as if you were living in France, namely knowledge of the French language at, I believe, a B2 level and integration into the French lifestyle, a vague requirement to show that you have some connection to France and the French beyond simply being married to a French person. If you're applying from within France, they're mainly looking to see that you have been working and paying into the French social insurance system. Applying from outside France, it's harder to tell just what they're looking for.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically, no, you cannot get a French residence card from outside France. You have to be resident in France.

If you plan on moving to France, you should be able to get a spouse visa with relatively little difficulty. The visa allows you to enter France with the intention of establishing residence. Once you have entered France (and have the stamp in your passport to prove it) you then have to meet certain requirements with the OFII - mainly a medical exam, classes in French "civics," evaluation of your level of French language skills and a visit with Pole Emploi to evaluate and counsel you on work possibilities. At that point you get a "titre de séjour" (basically a residence permit) in your passport. This has to be renewed annually - the first time you renew it, you'll get an actual carte de séjour.

If you want citizenship, you have to have been married for five years, reduced to 4 if you are resident in France while married. For citizenship based on marriage you can apply from outside France, but you have the same requirements as if you were living in France, namely knowledge of the French language at, I believe, a B2 level and integration into the French lifestyle, a vague requirement to show that you have some connection to France and the French beyond simply being married to a French person. If you're applying from within France, they're mainly looking to see that you have been working and paying into the French social insurance system. Applying from outside France, it's harder to tell just what they're looking for.
Cheers,
Bev
Dear Bev,
Thankyou so much for a detailed reply. Really appreciate it. I was just wondering, after 4/5 years when i can apply for citizenship in theory, do i have to be resident anytime before that in france? As i am migrating to Australia in near future and planning to stay there for a while. But in the mean time want to keep all the options open. I have started learning French little but and probably within 2/3 years will be much better at it until the time come for french language testing and all.
So if i do stay due to my work commitment outside france for some years will it effect anyhow in citizenship ?
Secondly as me and my wife are expecting a baby next year, baby will be born in Dubai where i work, will heshe get the nationality by birth ?
Really appreciate if you can throw some light on it.
Merci :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.