Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in France and work in Switzerland. I recently signed up with CMU, as I was told I was legally obliged to after French insurers stopped offering cross border private insurance. The Swiss managed to find away round it at the last minute , so now I have Swiss insurance and don't need CMU, but what do I do to get out?
Can anyone help?
Many thanks.:fingerscrossed:

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
That's actually a difficult question - I would suggest you go to CPAM and ask what you need to do. There has to be a way to get out and I doubt it would be an issue. If you haven't been billed yet and haven't made a claim, it should be totally straightforward. Otherwise there may be an amount for the current quarter that you will be required to pay.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
It would appear that if you are covered in Switzerland that will suffice and you are not required to be attached to the CMU - see here Assurances maladie en Suisse et en France, ce qu’il faut savoir sur les régimes de base | Le blog du frontalier. You will need to go to CPAM with evidence of your employment and cover in Switzerland, as well as documentation re your attachment to the CMU, and they will advise you on how to get out of the CMU. As always in France, you may well be required to submit other documents, but you certainly don't have to be attached to the CMU.

·
Administrator
49,874 Posts
The other thing to consider is that the CMU is supposed to be available only to those who have no other eligibility for health coverage. If you have cover through your employment, you are no longer eligible for the CMU. Best to just advise the CPAM of this change in your situation and let them do what they have to do.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the good advice. Helsana, my new Swiss insurance said I just need to wait for them to send me an E 106 form which will de register me. This has been a huge headache for all frontaliers working in Switzerland and living in France. Cmu still have my birth certificate and show no signers of giving that back either - ho hum !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts