Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have now lived in Spain for two weeks and are very happy about our move.

However, we would like to be able to watch British and Danish TV channels. What's the best way?

We have a 50MB Ono fiber internet connection, so I am inclined to getting this to work with internet TV and not having to deal with satellite companies.

Is anybody doing the same? I am assuming this requires some sort of British and Danish VPN to get British and Danish IP-adresses. This should make iPlayer etc. available on the house computers. But what is the quality of this? As good as normal HD TV? What are you using to do this?

Ono also offered us a TV subscription with our fiber net connection. We initially said no, but I am now a little curious. If Ono TV is internet cable based, then maybe there is a clever way of "including" some more, foreign, channels with the standard Ono ones?

Next there is the question of streaming the internet TV from computer to actual TV. This can be done in a variety of ways with Apple TV and other "boxes", but does anyone have experiences to share? What worked for you?

Hoping for some advice from seasoned expats. If there is already a thread about this somewhere, I would appreciate a finger pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Anders, Valencia

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
You are fortunate to have a fibre optic connection - we are lucky to get 7 Mb on ADSL.

English and American programmes broadcast on Spanish channels can be viewed in English by turning off the Spanish overdubbing in the Audio settings.

You can get programs like Expat Shield to give you a fake British IP address, which enables you to use iPlayer etc. There are security issues though.

BBC World News and other news channels are available free on the internet through websites like Livestation. Otherwise you would have to get them as part of a subscription from ONO (along with a load of rubbish channels).

We use bit torrents to download the programmes we want to watch from Vuze: The most powerful bittorrent app on earth., like Forbrydelsen (brilliant!) but you have to wait a few days for the torrents to become available. On the other hand, there are no adverts! We use a media player box which connects the memory stick to the TV.

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
You are fortunate to have a fibre optic connection - we are lucky to get 7 Mb on ADSL.

English and American programmes broadcast on Spanish channels can be viewed in English by turning off the Spanish overdubbing in the Audio settings.

You can get programs like Expat Shield to give you a fake British IP address, which enables you to use iPlayer etc. There are security issues though.

BBC World News and other news channels are available free on the internet through websites like Livestation. Otherwise you would have to get them as part of a subscription from ONO (along with a load of rubbish channels).

We use bit torrents to download the programmes we want to watch from Vuze: The most powerful bittorrent app on earth., like Forbrydelsen (brilliant!) but you have to wait a few days for the torrents to become available. On the other hand, there are no adverts! We use a media player box which connects the memory stick to the TV. Designer Habitat Nano 3.0 - HD TV Digital Mini Media: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
is Vuze better than utorrent?

and would there be any issues having them both on the same computer?

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
The quality of iplayer, especially the HD content is very good and you'll have no problems with a 50mb/s connection unless you have a download limit.

Unblock Us - smarter faster VPN is excellent, its a few dollars a month but is way more reliable than expat shield. Using that lets you sign up to the likes of netflix and netflix USA (much more content than the UK site)

G

·
I prefer uTorrent over Vuze, both are equally fine for the job. uTorrent has the edge, for me though.

Having both would cause minor issues with file association malarkey. Click on a torrent and you`d have to specify which app to use to deal with the .torrent file.

I use ExpatShield, but make sure to disable some of it`s settings when I`m done using it. It has a nasty habit of loading a bunch of process/services at startup, regardless of whether you initialise it or not. Apart from that, it`s OK(ish), but suffers when the world and their wife are watching Corrie or `stenders.

Media streamers can be modified PC`s or COTS products like Slingbox and many others. Prices start from 75 and go up and up and up! I can stream stuff from my PC to fondleslab, as well as use the slab as a remote to launch movies/music on PC (connected to hifi). Doddle to setup and freaks the OH out when I can launch a tune on her PC whilst I`m out and about - I`m a truly mischievous individual!

Eeeh, isn`t technology fun.

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
I prefer uTorrent over Vuze, both are equally fine for the job. uTorrent has the edge, for me though.

Having both would cause minor issues with file association malarkey. Click on a torrent and you`d have to specify which app to use to deal with the .torrent file.

I use ExpatShield, but make sure to disable some of it`s settings when I`m done using it. It has a nasty habit of loading a bunch of process/services at startup, regardless of whether you initialise it or not. Apart from that, it`s OK(ish), but suffers when the world and their wife are watching Corrie or `stenders.

Media streamers can be modified PC`s or COTS products like Slingbox and many others. Prices start from 75 and go up and up and up! I can stream stuff from my PC to fondleslab, as well as use the slab as a remote to launch movies/music on PC (connected to hifi). Doddle to setup and freaks the OH out when I can launch a tune on her PC whilst I`m out and about - I`m a truly mischievous individual!

Eeeh, isn`t technology fun.
thanks for that, I'll stick with utorrent then :)

I've thought about Expatshield, but there isn't really anything on UK TV that I'm especially bothered about - anything I DO want I can downlaod, or it's on Spanish tele anyway - & I've finally worked out how to record onto the humongous thing in the corner, so I don't even have to stay up half the night to watch it

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Personally, I don't watch TV except for the odd film. BUT we have a satellite dish and a Samsung 32" TV on which we can watch all the Satellite channels, Spanish TV, videos (either self recorded or DVD), Torrents on a USB stick and, if the suegra is using the room for teaching, she can have the PC connected and use that as the display as well as the monitor.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
I upgrade my PC every year and use the old one in a bedroom plugged into a TV, connected to the home wireless network I can lay in bed and surf the net or watch a film off my main PC downstairs, simple to set up and all four bed rooms are now 'online'.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the replies and good ideas.

Didn't know you could switch the dubbing off. Just tried it and it works great.

The ONO TV is only a couple of Euros extra a month if you have internet with them, so think we will go with that to get BBC World. There are a couple of other decent channels in their package.

Vuze is great and we use it together with XBMC installed on a jail breaked Apple TV to view the files on the TV.

Call me old fashioned, but I still like live TV where you don't have to search for specific files but can sit down and let yourself be surprised. I am sucker for History Channel type documentaries and there aren't too many of those lying around as torrents.

Also like live sports with English or Danish commentary.

Anyway, think we can get iPlayer to run on XBMC to use it via Apple TV. For Danish TV I think I have to play with mirroring the computer screen on the TV. And we need two different VPNs of course. Pheeww ...

Thanks again
Anders

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
There are a surprising amount of History Channel and National Geographic type documentaries on some of the more obscure Spanish TDT channels. In Andalucia they often turn up on Canal Sur 2.

I like watching football with Spanish commentators, they are far more entertaining than the English ones!

G

·
If you have a droid or an iphone, try using FilmOn. I could watch, but rarely do (Six Nations, David Attenborough, Brian Cox and David Attenborough etc.) all the main Brit TV channels on the fondleslab. It`s even got Dave, if you like constant re-runs of Top Gear and some great panel shows/comedy in between Clarkson.

Tis free to download and use. Go to Google Market/Play and search for FilmOn.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, and if somebody can recommend a UK VPN-provider I'd be most grateful. Low price, high speed and no hassle is what I am looking for, of course.

And thanks Alcalaina, I will check out the higher channel numbers to see what's on offer (-:

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Personally, I don't watch TV except for the odd film. BUT we have a satellite dish and a Samsung 32" TV on which we can watch all the Satellite channels, Spanish TV, videos (either self recorded or DVD), Torrents on a USB stick and, if the suegra is using the room for teaching, she can have the PC connected and use that as the display as well as the monitor.

You naughty popette, do tell what you watch

·
Registered
176 Posts
Film On works very well on the iPad and if you have an iPad 2, or better, can be shown on a TV with an adapter or using AirPlay. You can also 'mirror' any video content on the iPad to the TV. Also the BBC iPlayer Global App works very well and has lots of previous BBC content to choose from and some current content, for a very reasonable cost. This works well with iPad 1 too. Of course, you do have to have an iPad to use this option but we find we need nothing more.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FilmOn looks fantastic on iPad and I can mirror to Apple TV. Thanks. Am I really just choosing channels and watching streamed live TV from the UK etc.? Even with a Spanish IP?

I will have to play around with it. There is no such thing as a free lunch ... or is there?

G

·
I thought the same. Having watched Scotland get gubbed, again, in the Six Nations, whilst up a wee hill (me, not them), I can attest to the overall liveness of said product!

;)

ps There are some truly awful channels that really are worth a deek - mainly anything with God in the title!

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
Recently watched the Artist before it got all those awards and last weekend watched Le Havre - both excellent films and well worth the trouble to read subtitles.
We saw The Artist last night and really enjoyed it (didn't realise it had won awards but I can see why). Will now go and download Le Havre. Thank you!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We saw The Artist last night and really enjoyed it (didn't realise it had won awards but I can see why). Will now go and download Le Havre. Thank you!
The Artist is a 2011 French romantic comedy drama in the style of a black-and-white silent film written and directed by Michel Hazanavicius, starring Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo. The story takes place in Hollywood, between 1927 and 1932, and focuses on the relationship of an older silent film star and a rising young actress, as silent cinema falls out of fashion and is replaced by the talkies.
The Artist received near-universal acclaim from critics and won many accolades. Dujardin won the Best Actor Award at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival, where the film premiered. The film was nominated for six Golden Globes, the most of any 2011 film, and won three; Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, Best Original Score, and Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy for Dujardin. In January 2012 the film was nominated for twelve BAFTAs, also the most of any film from 2011, and won seven, the most wins of the night, including Best Film, Best Director and Best Original Screenplay for Hazanavicius, and Best Actor for Dujardin. It was nominated for ten Academy Awards and won five, including Best Picture, Best Director for Hazanavicius, and Best Actor for Dujardin. It was the first mainly silent film to win Best Picture since 1927's Wings (the first recipient of the Best Picture Award, in 1929), the first film presented in the 4:3 aspect ratio to win since 1955's Marty, the first black-and-white film to win since 1993's Schindler's List, and the first non-R-rated film to win since 2004's Million Dollar Baby.
In France, it was nominated for ten César Awards, winning six, including Best Film, Best Director for Hazanavicius and Best Actress for Bejo. The Artist became the most awarded French film in history.

WRT Le Havre - make sure you get English subs unless you are fluent in French.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts