Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Turkish citizen, Oxford grad academic (humanities) whose wife recently found a job in Cairo at a German school in Cairo and has moved there. I have been looking for opportunities to move to Cairo as well but just can't find a proper job. The unis do not have a position for me apparently. Though, I have quite an experience in teaching English and Turkish as a foreign language, I have been working as a language teacher for some time now.

What I'd like to ask is; how can I find a job as a language teacher in Cairo at a language school and/or how can I find students whom I can teach as a private tutor?

I am not hoping to make a great amount of money, something to keep me going, maybe something around 2000LE/month.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I have e-mailed the ones I could find on the internet but there were not many of them and have not received any replies yet. Also, the term "language school" has a different meaning in Egypt, I suppose. I am not really trained to work with kids but with adults so I was thinking about a language school like Berlitz.

And I think the 'craigslist' is not very popular in Egypt as well. I have posted ads there but no one has responded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who have you tried maybe we can find some more contact details for you

Sent using ExpatForum App
I've tried a couple of ads on craigslist and the canadian school, a british school, deo, an american school and berlitz... and some more. I do not really know and remember since I have been madly sending my CV around for the last 4 months or so, hoping somehow someone would be interested or would forward my CV to somebody who'd be interested. That did not really work...

I just don't know much about Cairo and the right channels there. I thought it would not be so difficult to find some students to tutor at least considering the fact that Egypt nowadays is not the most popular spot for foreigners, but apparently it is difficult. :(

·
Registered
454 Posts
Try TIEonline--many good schools post jobs there. No fee to school or teacher, but you must pay an annual subscription to access the site.

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If my wife found a job in another country and simply moved there I think our marriage would be trouble, immediately...:confused:
not ours... If you really need an explanation; I had first found a job and moved to Greece. She is a civil servant (a primary school teacher) and could not easily leave her position in Germany. Now we are simply trying find a place we can be comfortably together.

·
Registered
679 Posts
not ours... If you really need an explanation; I had first found a job and moved to Greece. She is a civil servant (a primary school teacher) and could not easily leave her position in Germany. Now we are simply trying find a place we can be comfortably together.
Wow, complicated...Good luck:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am a Turkish citizen, Oxford grad academic (humanities) whose wife recently found a job in Cairo at a German school in Cairo and has moved there. I have been looking for opportunities to move to Cairo as well but just can't find a proper job. The unis do not have a position for me apparently. Though, I have quite an experience in teaching English and Turkish as a foreign language, I have been working as a language teacher for some time now.

What I'd like to ask is; how can I find a job as a language teacher in Cairo at a language school and/or how can I find students whom I can teach as a private tutor?

I am not hoping to make a great amount of money, something to keep me going, maybe something around 2000LE/month.
I hope this will help, this is a turkish international school in Cairo. You can try emailing them.
Home

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I hope this will help, this is a turkish international school in Cairo. You can try emailing them.
Home
thank you so so much... but I know that school and that school is not really a school I could work at. It is one of those "international" schools which are run by this extremely conservative/fundamentalist minority group in Turkey whose leader resides in the USA. They would not employ a "Turk" like me to start with and I would not be able to teach in such an environment anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Question:

Hello,

I'm also kind of new here and looking for work, but my problem is I'm not sure about what is normal as far as pay. With my background and qualifications I have been told that I should easily find a job in the teaching field. But my problem is the PAY! What is normal and what is not?

Thanks you in Advance,
KG

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Hello,

I'm also kind of new here and looking for work, but my problem is I'm not sure about what is normal as far as pay. With my background and qualifications I have been told that I should easily find a job in the teaching field. But my problem is the PAY! What is normal and what is not?

Thanks you in Advance,
KG

Hello and welcome to the forum
Are you a qualified teacher?

Once your in Egypt is is difficult if not impossible to get an expat salary as you will be considered a local hire, Local hire salaries are higher than a local salary but nothing like a package.
I would suggest you email schools and see what they are offering you might strike it lucky if you tell them you are here and available for a one to one interview rather than skype it just might get you a package

Maiden

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I have a degree and some years of experience as well. I'm thinking about going back to the US this summer (visit) should I wait and apply from there? This is what I was thinking because, then they might offer me more. I have a very good job back in America that is not in the teaching field, which I could work from 6 months and make what I would make here teaching in almost 2 yrs. however, I don't want to be away from the family. We have school age children. what do you think I sould do?

KG
Thank you again,

·
Registered
454 Posts
Do a search for threads on this--there have been a ton and I'm sure all your questions will be answered. Who knows, maybe they will contain the answers to questions you hadn't thought of yet! :)

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Yes, I have a degree and some years of experience as well. I'm thinking about going back to the US this summer (visit) should I wait and apply from there? This is what I was thinking because, then they might offer me more. I have a very good job back in America that is not in the teaching field, which I could work from 6 months and make what I would make here teaching in almost 2 yrs. however, I don't want to be away from the family. We have school age children. what do you think I sould do?

KG
Thank you again,

I couldn't possibly tell you what I think you should do however what I would do is get my resume to all the schools without giving an Egyptian address and tell them that I will be in Cairo for for a couple of weeks from? and would be available for an interview before returning home to the states. If I had an Egyptian passport I would not mention it.. using American status only.

Maiden

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do a search for threads on this--there have been a ton and I'm sure all your questions will be answered. Who knows, maybe they will contain the answers to questions you hadn't thought of yet! :)

I have tried to shearch the threads and I'm still not finding the answers to my original questions. "What is the low, normal, and high range of salary that a native speaker, with a degree in education, and over 7 yrs of teaching experience expect?" I'm currently living in Cairo so I guess I would be a local hire, but I'm leaving to go back to the states in two weeks. So if I don't get what I'm asking for then I may only come back to bring my wife and kids. I have had some offers from some of the international schools but (I have not committed to anything yet) I have heard that 10,000 L.E. is what most expats with similar qualifications would be offered along with housing allowance (3,000 L.E.) and Airfare for a family of 4 once a year? So, if I ask for 10,000 as a local hire is this wrong? I already have a place in Al-Rehab, a car and I'm paying for my own tickets for us to travel back to the US this summer and returning. and will they still take care of my visa if I'm a local Hire? I really need some answers ........If anyone can help. I think that really I'm saving them money by already living here and it is less risk because you can meet with me in person and everyone seems to love my demos. But I don't want to rock the boat and ask for to much, but at the same time I'm not will to take less just because I'm already here? I have deal with people like this before.:boxing:

Thank you in advance for your advice,
That's what we are here for right.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
I have tried to shearch the threads and I'm still not finding the answers to my original questions. "What is the low, normal, and high range of salary that a native speaker, with a degree in education, and over 7 yrs of teaching experience expect?" I'm currently living in Cairo so I guess I would be a local hire, but I'm leaving to go back to the states in two weeks. So if I don't get what I'm asking for then I may only come back to bring my wife and kids. I have had some offers from some of the international schools but (I have not committed to anything yet) I have heard that 10,000 L.E. is what most expats with similar qualifications would be offered along with housing allowance (3,000 L.E.) and Airfare for a family of 4 once a year? So, if I ask for 10,000 as a local hire is this wrong? I already have a place in Al-Rehab, a car and I'm paying for my own tickets for us to travel back to the US this summer and returning. and will they still take care of my visa if I'm a local Hire? I really need some answers ........If anyone can help. I think that really I'm saving them money by already living here and it is less risk because you can meet with me in person and everyone seems to love my demos. But I don't want to rock the boat and ask for to much, but at the same time I'm not will to take less just because I'm already here? I have deal with people like this before.:boxing:

Thank you in advance for your advice,
That's what we are here for right.

I am sorry you cannot find your answer here.. perhaps we don't know?

but I am guessing you will not get anywhere near 10,000 as a local hire...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts