Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,

i am planning to play ice hockey while living in paris and they are requiring a medical certificate. Being on a student visa (older than 26 so on insurance i purchased) is there any way to go about getting basically a physical and having it done affordably?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Most sporting associations in France ask for a medical certificate stating that you are fit to take part in the activity they provide:

Sport : un certificat médical est-il toujours obligatoire ? - Actualités - Service-public.fr

Most people in France see their GP who will sometimes insist on carrying out an electrocardiogramme before giving the certificate.

You can either see your present doctor in the US and get him to do this or wait till you are in France - the latter solution will probably be easiest as it will mean you won't have to get it translated.

·
Administrator
50,835 Posts
It's also good to know that they don't really do extensive physical exams in France the way they do them in the US. Generally speaking, you go to your regular doctor like Verité has said, and get a note saying that you're fit enough for the sport you'll be undertaking.

In the case of a new arrival to France (or a new patient), the doctor may ask you to do a few lab tests, including an EKG, but if you have the necessary medical coverage for a student visa, much of this should be picked up by the insurance. (Besides, medical treatment costs in France are much less than what you'd pay in the US - even if you just count the co-pays!)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just go to the doctor :) and choose a one that is "conventionné" as their prices are usually fixed. Then when you see the doctor ask for a Certificat Médical (pour le sport). Might sound stupid but believe me I've already been fooled so now I'm really paying attention to this.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I've always required them for running events in France, but nowhere in the requirements have I seen that it has to be issued by a French doctor. So my wife writes me one, in French and English, with her appropriate letterhead, (Australian) provider number and so on. It's always been accepted. If you're still in the US perhaps that's an easier way to go. The email it to the hockey association. Don't ask if it's OK, just say something like 'here's the required certificate, is there any other documentation you need, such as passport page for ID?'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts