Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Moving to Cannes area in july.
Where to find beloved 'french' country pieces (table / buffet /dresser etc). There are many stockists in UK.

Any on Cote d'Azur?

Best regards
PAB

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
You should post this is the main forum so that it is readily seen by Forum members (however Bev may move it for you).

·
Administrator
50,413 Posts
Not a bad idea, EH. Your wish....

But now comes the big question: what exactly do the French call what you would consider "French country" furniture? I did a quick Google of the term and from the pictures I came up with, the best source would probably be either a high end furniture shop or a good quality brocante.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Not a bad idea, EH. Your wish....

But now comes the big question: what exactly do the French call what you would consider "French country" furniture? I did a quick Google of the term and from the pictures I came up with, the best source would probably be either a high end furniture shop or a good quality brocante.
Cheers,
Bev
Guess why I didn't even try to answer the question :D I have seen various overseas magazine article on French country style and even they vary greatly and I ask myself why they term "French country" style.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Perhaps if the OP gives some further explanation of the kind of furniture he is looking for, we could help. I've done a bit of research and suspect that what he/she terms French country style might sometimes be termed traditional English style here.

Are we looking more for antique (or faux antique) heavy timber furniture - eg. the armoires. bonnetieres, vaisseliers etc that usually come with a separate carved head piece and base - or something else? Highly (French) polished, or not? What about easy chairs and sofas (I have no idea at all what would be considered 'French country style' for those)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
French furniture

Hi
Thanks for your response. I am looking for simple country style wooden painted furniture- often table tops are painted cream but base left natural plus similar armoires and buffet. Not at all English but very popular in UK and is often termed provencal. Infact the wooden pieces often originate in France but then are upcycled or renovated in UK. Hope this helps?
PAB

Perhaps if the OP gives some further explanation of the kind of furniture he is looking for, we could help. I've done a bit of research and suspect that what he/she terms French country style might sometimes be termed traditional English style here.

Are we looking more for antique (or faux antique) heavy timber furniture - eg. the armoires. bonnetieres, vaisseliers etc that usually come with a separate carved head piece and base - or something else? Highly (French) polished, or not? What about easy chairs and sofas (I have no idea at all what would be considered 'French country style' for those)?

·
Administrator
50,413 Posts
OK, now we're talking! Google "meubles provencal" and you'll find a whole bunch of sites online that carry what (I think) you're looking for. Some of the sites will have brick and mortar stores somewhere and you can kind of go from there.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meubles Provencal

Thank you soooooooooo much!
PAB
OK, now we're talking! Google "meubles provencal" and you'll find a whole bunch of sites online that carry what (I think) you're looking for. Some of the sites will have brick and mortar stores somewhere and you can kind of go from there.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 10 of 10 Posts