Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all in this forum who have helped me during the last two years. I decided to renew my Carte de Sejour, and contacted the local agency in Nice that helped me last year. They were excellent, reasonably priced and probably the o ly reason I was able to deal successfully with the prefecture. This year, after my initial meeting with them, they unexpectedly closed their business and left France due to illness in the family. I don't know of a return date, and my request for a backup contact has not been answered. I must visit the prefecture in September to meet my Carte deadline. Does anyone know of a source to find a similar agency or person? I've tried Facebook and searching the Internet with no results. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Being Nice, chances are there will be someone in the relevant section of the Prefecture who speaks English. I would suggest you call in and ask for advice.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Just another thought. If you have a record of what was submitted for you last year, it should be very similar this year. IIRC you were thinking of joining the French health system - if you have done so and been accepted, evidence of that will suffice for your health cover. Of course, you will need to update your income details.
Cheers

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,306 Posts
Just another thought. If you have a record of what was submitted for you last year, it should be very similar this year. IIRC you were thinking of joining the French health system - if you have done so and been accepted, evidence of that will suffice for your health cover. Of course, you will need to update your income details.
Cheers
Susan Marie

Until this year, we provided 3 months of our French and US bank statements as proof of our income when we renewed our Cartes de Sejour. This year, our counselor said, "No, we don't need your bank statements, we will use your French tax returns", which we've been filing for the past 3 years.

The process of renewing our CDS was simplified and made much faster 2 or 3 years ago. We used to make multiple trips to the Prefecture for each renewal (as many as 4 or 5). Now, we make one trip to present and a second trip when we're notified our CDS is ready.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for taking time to respond; I appreciate the great support I've received from the three of you during my two years in Nice. I realize I've not followed the notmal path for Expats in France, and have made many things more difficult by not fully committing to living in France permanently. Last year, the agency rep who accompanied me to the prefecture had to spend dime time persuading them to issue my renewal due to my not having a French bank account. Without their help, I am sure I would not have received the renewal. I'm still in the same situation, as I posted here several months ago. When I spoke to this same agency before they closed, they said they would again explain my circumstances to the prefecture. Without their help, or someone other than a neighbor or translator, I'm not at all sure I'd be successful. When I lived in Thailand, it was very common for expats to use a visa service to deal with all renewal issues. In France, where the process, to me at least, is more complicated, it seems these services are very rare. I don't expect more responses, and realize I'll have to proceed with what information I have. Thanks again.

agon

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
That sort of service is indeed kind of rare here in France, and actually, even using a service like you have done won't guarantee that your representative would be able to persuade the prefecture to accept your lack of a bank account this time, or to otherwise overlook your lack of commitment to living full time in France. As we've said to a number of folks here, it can come down to who you talk to at the prefecture and what sort of a day they are having when you turn up with your dossier.

In any event, good luck with the process. Sometimes simple persistence pays off.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Thanks for taking time to respond; I appreciate the great support I've received from the three of you during my two years in Nice. I realize I've not followed the notmal path for Expats in France, and have made many things more difficult by not fully committing to living in France permanently. Last year, the agency rep who accompanied me to the prefecture had to spend dime time persuading them to issue my renewal due to my not having a French bank account. Without their help, I am sure I would not have received the renewal. I'm still in the same situation, as I posted here several months ago. When I spoke to this same agency before they closed, they said they would again explain my circumstances to the prefecture. Without their help, or someone other than a neighbor or translator, I'm not at all sure I'd be successful. When I lived in Thailand, it was very common for expats to use a visa service to deal with all renewal issues. In France, where the process, to me at least, is more complicated, it seems these services are very rare. I don't expect more responses, and realize I'll have to proceed with what information I have. Thanks again.

agon
If you're willing to spend the money, you could find an immigration lawyer by Googling 'immigration lawyer nice'.

Edit:
Sorry to hear you haven't yet managed to open a bank account. Don't give up on that.

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
Just a small caveat on "lawyering up" - I found that it can very much turn off the clerks you are dealing with (for the most part) at the prefecture to have an attorney representing you. The big exception would be if you have some legal "right" to French residence that is being ignored or overlooked (say, family ties to France or something similar).

Since you pretty much acknowledge that you haven't really committed to French residence, there may or may not be much an immigration attorney can do for you. And they can be rather expensive.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Just a small caveat on "lawyering up" - I found that it can very much turn off the clerks you are dealing with (for the most part) at the prefecture to have an attorney representing you. The big exception would be if you have some legal "right" to French residence that is being ignored or overlooked (say, family ties to France or something similar).

Since you pretty much acknowledge that you haven't really committed to French residence, there may or may not be much an immigration attorney can do for you. And they can be rather expensive.
Cheers,
Bev
Yes, but, you may recall that the OP has extreme difficulty dealing with administrative issues in France, not just because she doesn't speak French, and is partially handicapped. Renewal of the CDS doesn't actually require you to commit to residing permanently in France. I'm not sure whether not having a French bank account will be an issue. Unfortunately, even if she made a tax declaration in France for last year, she won't have her tax notice in hand at the time she needs to submit her application to renew her CDS. I would say, though, if worst comes to worst, she should submit the documentation she has and see what the Prefecture says. And, as I said previously, it's well worth calling in to the Prefecture to see whether someone can advise her in English. Of course, the other option, would be to use the services of a translator - and that might well cost less than a lawyer.

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
No one is saying that she has to commit to "permanent residence" - whatever that means anyhow. By all means, she should try going through the prefecture herself. And the idea of finding a translator rather than an attorney is probably a good one.

But if she filed a tax return for 2016, isn't it about time to have a tax notice? I know we have gotten ours (online, admittedly, but it's available). It might also help if she could show some effort at having started to learn French, or attempting to register for the French health care system, or whatever else might be available to demonstrate intention to "integrate" at least for another year.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 11 of 11 Posts