Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peeps

I have been trying to get a job in the UAE for almost a year now with my main resources being Bayt and teachanywhere websites.

I have read that most people get jobs via contacts they have within organisations. How do i network with others? What is the best way to secure a job in the UAE?

I am a Computer Network Tech graduate and a qualified teacher (PGDE, and a CELTA). I was made redundant last year and have done a number of jobs since then including teaching primary school kids, developing training programs and working with the account director at an auction house.

i enjoy teaching and am willing to continue doing that in my spare time even if it is voluntary to help underprivileged kids. I am looking for a change career wise and would like to go down the sales or investment routes.
How do i get into this? What if i offered to work for free just so they can see that i am a dedicated hard worker and very quick learner?

Thanks for reading

:)

(P.S.. my LinkedIn account if it'll help: ...just realised that i can't paste links, but feel free to PM me and i will share)

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi,
Where to start!
Your chances of securing a job through the websites you mention are very slim - each job gets thousands of applicants, most people dont fit the criteria but just apply for everything going.
This makes it even harder for the employer to find the right people to interview from all the responses.
The UAE is a fairly small country, by world standards - so the job market here is fairly limited - unless you have particular skills and qualifications that are in real demand.
In addition, due to it's geographical location - there is plenty of low cost labour available from India, Pakistan, Philippines etc.
Once you understand all of the above, you will begin to see why your job hunting has not been successful.
If you really want to work here, then you need to research the types of jobs that are in great demand and then ensure your skills, qualifications and CV match these demands.
Teachers are in great demand here but wages are not that high, hours are long and schools are much more demanding than in UK.
There are a number of growth industries here - so you need to research and target these seriously.
Best of luck!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve!

Other than google, how else do i find what industries and skills are in high demand there?
Do you have any suggestions as to what skills Dubai is hungry for?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Thanks Steve!

Other than google, how else do i find what industries and skills are in high demand there?
Do you have any suggestions as to what skills Dubai is hungry for?
Hi,
I think we will be in a better position to answer this question in 5 days time - once the result of Expo 2020 city is known.
If Dubai is the chosen city - then dormant large building projects will restart.
This will bring opportunities for consruction, consultancy etc. along with support industries that go along with a bigger population - hotels, restaurants, transport, retail, teachers etc.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,

Pretty much in the same boat as the original poster!

I work in the Education IT field - and my wife a teacher. I got offered quite a good job in Dubai a couple of years ago - but due to several reasons didnt take it at the time. I just wish I had now!

I trawl all the obvious sites as studeoflife mentions too - with little or no responses. I'm waiting on a couple of jobs that I applied to via bayt but expect not to hear anything.

It's all very frustrating!! So, your not alone in your search!!

Helloworld2013

1 - 5 of 5 Posts