Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, basically I have a few questions:

I want to rent for 6 months a house in a BEAUTIFUL village in France (region TBD - currently travelling to find my perfect area).
1. What web sites large inventory of houses for long term rent at lower prices than vocational rentals?
2. Or is the a real estate agents that can scout multiple areas and are paid by the property owner? how do I find them?
3. I hope to find some remodeled old stone house, fully equipped and furnished with WiFi Broadband Internet, 2+ bedrooms with 2+ bathrooms, at around 400-500 euros a month from May next year till October. Village has to be close to a good hospital with English speaking personal and doctors, as well as decent grocery stores, bakeries and butcher shops. How doable is it? And what areas are the most suitable?

Thank you very much for educating me...

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Hello

re wifi.....what do mean by fast? I'm in a small village way up in the mountains and I've just measured the speed....it's 5,52 m down and 0,72 up.....they are different because of the A in ADSL!

Re hospitals and docs - some nurses and doctors speak a little English - a lot of medical articles are in English only. However, don't expect 24/7 English speaking in a hospital outside Paris. They speak French in France..... it's written into the French Constitution.

DejW

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I am open for anything around $1000/month. It's just I like to look for bargains :)

So, the question is, where to look - what web sites?

·
Administrator
50,385 Posts
I'm tempted to say "dream on." Specifically:

1. What web sites large inventory of houses for long term rent at lower prices than vocational rentals?
Assume you mean "vacation rentals" - but "long term rent" in France means an unfurnished property, which rents for 3 years at a time. Over on your other thread, I see you're talking about 6 months, which is pretty much short-term here. But for web sites, it's down to the "usual suspects" - i.e. PAP, seloger, leboncoin and the other "normal" real estate sites. Take a look at Century 21 even - but I suspect you'll have trouble finding anything in your price range.
2. Or is the a real estate agents that can scout multiple areas and are paid by the property owner? how do I find them?
Good luck with that. Rental agents in France are paid by the renter, not the property owner. There aren't really any "multi-listing" services. If the agent shows you the property and you take it, you owe the agent his/her fee. (So don't allow a second agent to show you the same property. If you take it, you could very easily owe two fees!)
3. I hope to find some remodeled old stone house, fully equipped and furnished with WiFi Broadband Internet, 2+ bedrooms with 2+ bathrooms, at around 400-500 euros a month from May next year till October. Village has to be close to a good hospital with English speaking personal and doctors, as well as decent grocery stores, bakeries and butcher shops. How doable is it? And what areas are the most suitable?
Again, "dream on." Your budget is really small for 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, nevermind the wi-fi. If you want a hospital that speaks English, check out the US Consulate list of English speaking hospitals here: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/france/45994/acs/usc_paris-medical.pdf But you're talking big cities in France, mainly Paris, Bordeaux, Lyon - and those only promise "some" English speaking staff.

True story here: when I had my appendix out at a large hospital here in the Paris area, the only person in the whole hospital who would speak English with me was an orderly who transferred me from the emergency room up to the ward. I was there for 8 days (peritonitis) and although several staff told me they had studied English in school, not a one of them would even attempt a word of it with me.

Will you have access to a car? Most areas outside of the main cities pretty much require a car these days, especially for grocery shopping. It's hard to find groceries delivered - the "drive" bay is more standard here, where you order online and then pick up at the drive up bay without having to actually go into the store.

And, the ever popular: how well do you speak French? It's tough to really live in France unless you have a working knowledge of the language. If you're outside the main tourist areas, that goes double.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have to fully agree with the previous replies I'm afraid. What you are probably looking for is a holiday let, if you want it fully furnished and equipped, and with good Wi-Fi too, but your rental period goes right through the holiday season, and in August you would be pushed to find such a let at €400-500 per week, let alone per month. I don't think your budget would even cover an unfurnished two-bedroomed property in that region. Plus, you are looking at one of the most expensive parts of France. Our holiday cottage is advertised on French-Property.com, you may find some on there. We advertise lets between October and March at your desired rent. That is for a one-bedroomed, one bathroom cottage in the Limousin region, near Limoges, where rental prices are a lot more reasonable. To be fair to French hospitals, Limoges is the regional capital, and we have found most of the Doctors and nurses at the University hospital there do speak English, and they love to practice their English too! When I speak to them in French, they immediately try to steer the conversation to English. Good luck! :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Ho Obs123

I appreciate that you want answers to your very reasonable questions. You don't say from which country you are. However, I would recommend a visit to France for 2 or preferably 4 weeks to get your own answers in your own way. Besides the hard facts, there's the questions of taste and comfort which vary greatly from person to person.

You will also need to think about health care coverage and perhaps French income taxes..both are a bit complex when you meet them for the first time.

Anyway, good luck...may your dreams come true!

DejW

·
Registered
46 Posts
We are renting a fully furnished house in south of France with all bills and Internet included for 1500 euro but the house is massive with four bedrooms and three bathrooms and large garage and back yard. We found it hard before we had a car. Yes you need health insurance. The internet is fast enough to watch TV but occasionally it does not work or is slow.

The website

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some websites I looked at for long term furnished lets

rentaplaceinfrance.com
Gosouthfrance.com
Sabbatical homes
Gites-de-france.com

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
You could also try the the local tourist office - they focus on holiday lets, but often have a lot more info.

·
Registered
737 Posts
what is it that you want to do during the period of the rental ? chill ? travel ?
how fast is fast internet ?
how close to a hospital is close
how close to shops etc is close ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts