Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi frenz,

My wife is sincerely trying to get into a testing job here in Melbourne for the past 3 months, but she is not able to. She has more than 7yrs experience.

Can anyone pls help me with some pointers on how to approach the companies here in Melbourne.

Any details would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi frenz,

My wife is sincerely trying to get into a testing job here in Melbourne for the past 3 months, but she is not able to. She has more than 7yrs experience.

Can anyone pls help me with some pointers on how to approach the companies here in Melbourne.

Any details would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hi KingofKing,

Did your wife get a job yet. Is she in 457 or PR. Please reply.

Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Networking is the way to go here in Australia, very different from what we are used to in India. Her LinkedIn profile should be top notch, connect with recruiters there and get recommendations from previous work (a premium membership can help loads).

Also, attend Software Testing meetups in your city and connect with people in the field. I know one such meetup in Melbourne and there should be many in all cities.

Frankly, just applying on SEEK/other job portals limits your chances considerably.

Good Luck,
Rakesh

·
Registered
12 Posts
Networking is the way to go here in Australia, very different from what we are used to in India. Her LinkedIn profile should be top notch, connect with recruiters there and get recommendations from previous work (a premium membership can help loads).

Also, attend Software Testing meetups in your city and connect with people in the field. I know one such meetup in Melbourne and there should be many in all cities.

Frankly, just applying on SEEK/other job portals limits your chances considerably.

Good Luck,
Rakesh
Thanks for your response.
I'm currently on dependent 457 visa and eligible to work in Australia. I also got my invitation and waiting for PCC> In the meantime am hunting for a job. I have around 10 years of exp in software testing including Manual & Automation (selenium/QTP). I received couple of calls from recruiters and they mentioned my resume will be sent to their clients but have not been to any interviews yet.

Being in this situation - Should i wait for my VISA grant and commence my job hunt or should i continue my job hunt when am in 457. I'm really worried why am not getting to interview. Is it my VISA type thats holding up or networking (like what you said).

Please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for your response.
I'm currently on dependent 457 visa and eligible to work in Australia. I also got my invitation and waiting for PCC> In the meantime am hunting for a job. I have around 10 years of exp in software testing including Manual & Automation (selenium/QTP). I received couple of calls from recruiters and they mentioned my resume will be sent to their clients but have not been to any interviews yet.

Being in this situation - Should i wait for my VISA grant and commence my job hunt or should i continue my job hunt when am in 457. I'm really worried why am not getting to interview. Is it my VISA type thats holding up or networking (like what you said).

Please share your thoughts.
Hey Madhu,

I've heard from friends about how recruiters prefer candidates on PR. Having said that, I think you should still keep trying since you have full work rights and have applied for PR. Try networking and meeting recruiters face to face. Once you cross that initial hurdle, it should be easier.

If you are in Melbourne, try this Meet Up - #9 Zero defects at the first Autumn TEAM meetup! - Test Engineering Alliance Melbourne (Melbourne) - Meetup (this is for today, but they have one every month if you subscribe).

Regards,
Rakesh

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Madhu,

I've heard from friends about how recruiters prefer candidates on PR. Having said that, I think you should still keep trying since you have full work rights and have applied for PR. Try networking and meeting recruiters face to face. Once you cross that initial hurdle, it should be easier.

If you are in Melbourne, try this Meet Up - #9 Zero defects at the first Autumn TEAM meetup! - Test Engineering Alliance Melbourne (Melbourne) - Meetup (this is for today, but they have one every month if you subscribe).

Regards,
Rakesh

Thanks for the all the details. Yes am in Melbourne. I will try to make it for the meet up if logistics work.

This is very useful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts