Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I had read how some people are registering as AEs in France if they are freelancers.

However, since my case is slightly different, hence I would still like to clarify what I should do.

I was married to my French spouse on 1st July 2013. Currently, I am on a recently renewed student visa and am not able to get my spousal visa until 2014. My rendez-vous with the préfecture is on 30 January 2014 to start off the process of my spousal visa application.

I don't have a social sécu number yet. And I am currently on a private international health insurance.

For a few months, I had been getting some online freelancing work. However, these work are random with no fixed monthly revenue. So far, the largest sum that I had received for one job is around 150E. Basically, I think by the end of 2013, my total revenue received would probably be around 1500E maximum.

I would like to do things the right way, which means I should declare this, even though I am not at a taxable level but I think being married for half a year, I can declare my income with my husband's to the tax office right?

So my question is:
1. Should I declare this pitiful amount?
2. If yes, how?
3. And how does my visa status come into the picture?

Thanks in advance to those who respond.

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
Actually, since you're married to a French citizen, you must declare your worldwide income along with his at the end of the year.

Now, whether you declare the amount or not is up to you and your spouse. Normally, you'd declare it as a micro-entreprise (BNC, BIC or something similar) on a special form, which "just happens" to be the one an AE uses to declare their takings for the year. And I see that they now are asking for your SIRET (your business registration number) on the tax form.

Practically speaking, I don't think you would be found out if you just didn't bother reporting the income for this year. If you were registered as an AE, you'd have to pay about 23% of the amount to the RSI for cotisations. So if you don't report it, you still have your private health coverage and you won't get any credit towards retirement for the six months.

Your visa status really doesn't come into play here at all and they don't actually ask for it anywhere on the tax forms.

Once you have your spouse carte de séjour, if you are continuing to do the freelance work on the side, then register as an AE and get on with it (paying the cotisations like you're supposed to).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was my husband who got me worried about this because there had been some recent crackdown on undeclared Paypal related earnings in France.

Like what you mentioned, the amount I am getting, which is not even a constant amount every month, it is practically nothing compared to those consultants who charge 1000E a day via their Paypal accounts without declaring it.

It is always nice to get more confirmation on what I already believed. Hence thank you again Bev for your relentless responsive attitude in this most useful forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.