Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I'm new to this forum and wonder if you can help me. I recently needed medical treatment in France whilst house hunting in Brittany. I paid out a total of 400 euros on a GP appointment, Ultrasound and prescription.
I visited the CPAM office in Pleurmel and completed the forms required to claim part of the money back through my EHIC card.
I was expecting a refund of around £250 and have today received a cheque for £36.23. I am back in the UK.
I have tried and tried to call the CPAM telephone number given - 0033811363646 to speak to someone to query this amount, but it is constantly, constantly engaged.
Do any of you have an alternative means of contacting an English speaking CPAM advisor?
Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Can't help I'm afraid - but I'm impressed that CPAM have got flexible enough to send out cheques in GBP these days ! It's only a few years since they would only process refunds in euros into a French bank account.
Maybe the refunds for the different elements are processed separately - would this amount correspond to the amount you paid out either for prescriptions, or to the hospital/clinic, for instance?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Who advised you to contact CPAM personally?
As a UK citizen, it is my belief that you contact the DWP on 0191 218 1999 and they will then send you the correct forms to fill in. Once you have returned them to Newcastle, they sort out your correct level of refund and send it to you.
Newcastle will be working today.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Can't help I'm afraid - but I'm impressed that CPAM have got flexible enough to send out cheques in GBP these days ! It's only a few years since they would only process refunds in euros into a French bank account.
Maybe the refunds for the different elements are processed separately - would this amount correspond to the amount you paid out either for prescriptions, or to the hospital/clinic, for instance?
for many years when I had a maison secondaire my local CPAM office would only pay in sterling by cheque sent to my uk address !said it was compulsory under their regulations!

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Maybe the refunds for the different elements are processed separately - would this amount correspond to the amount you paid out either for prescriptions, or to the hospital/clinic, for instance?[/QUOTE

for many years when I had a maison secondaire my local CPAM office would only pay in sterling by cheque sent to my uk address !said it was compulsory under their regulations!
OK! so it's not being flexible - it's just a case of one CPAM does one thing, and another does another ;) should have guessed, I s'pose...

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Since April 2015 all claims for refunds are made in the country where you had your treatment not via the DWP.Secondly CPAM only pays about 70% of the cost of any treatment the rest has to be borne by the private individual via top up insurance or in your case travel insurance.Also this 70% is paid at the rate that CPAM fixes for a procedure or consultation but some hospitals /doctors charge more than the set rate.So if CPAM say a procedure costs €100 and the hospital charges 120 then you will only get 70 euros;but so saying there does seem to be a discrepancy between the amounts paid and the refund so I think you will need to persevere with CPAM I am afraid or claim off any travel insurance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts