Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I'm serious! I'm at a loss as to how to clean my toilet. When I moved in here seven months ago, it was sparkly white, and it's getting browner all the time from the mineral deposits. I don't know what to do. Since moving in, I've tried these three products by scrubbing and soaking, and they don't work:

Product Plastic bottle Laundry detergent Liquid Bottle

Could someone please suggest another product that will work? :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Yes, I'm serious! I'm at a loss as to how to clean my toilet. When I moved in here seven months ago, it was sparkly white, and it's getting browner all the time from the mineral deposits. I don't know what to do. Since moving in, I've tried these three products by scrubbing and soaking, and they don't work:

View attachment 42578

The brown deposits are almost certainly cal (chalk) based so try some antical.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hola

Vim & Ajax powder (yes out of the ark) are still available in Spain - elbow grease and a modicum of water and they both clean to sparkling

Davexf

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I must admit, I used to either buy domestos (British bleach) from Iceland or Agua fuerte from Mercadona and just put them down the loo every morning - altho someone told me that you shouldnt use those products if you have a septic tank (which we did)

Jo xxx

·
Banned
1,832 Posts

View attachment 42578

As has been said use Salfumante/Aqua fuerte as this will remove it instantly.

Take care as this stuff is dangerous !, as you asked the question its odds on that you are unaware about it.
Outside in the fresh air pour a couple of cupfulls into a beaker, take this into the toilet and pour around the rim/bowl quickly taking care not to splash.
Leave the toilet for a few mins and then nip in and flush ........... job done.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Yes, you can feel it in the back of your throat if you stay in the room. I go back and flush after an hour or so

Jo xxx

Sent from my D5803 using Expat Forum

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I must admit, I used to either buy domestos (British bleach) from Iceland or Agua fuerte from Mercadona and just put them down the loo every morning - altho someone told me that you shouldnt use those products if you have a septic tank (which we did)

Jo xxx
Please don't use this combination.

Acid + bleach (alkali) = lots' of nasty, dangerous gasses !!!!

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
Alternatively we could leave the environment and our health intact and not bother too much about stains in the toilet bowl! These products are strong and have an impact. I know a cleaner here whose lungs bled because of inhaling the fumes from aguafuerte and she supposedly knew what she was doing! As long as we're not talking about stains from excrement I'd put the lid down (as most people said they put the lid down on toilets remembering what was said on an earlier thread about toilets!!) and walk away!

If you feel you must do something about those stains experiment with cleaning vinegar (Mercadona, other supermarkets, hardware stores...) bicarbonate of soda, lemon and rock salt. You'll also need some stout rubber gloves that are used only for toilet cleaning. Look it up on the net. Of course you'll need to invest more time and energy, but ...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Over here we've used a "borrador mágico" sponge, but it takes elbow grease and the porcelain has to be somewhat dry. (You can shut off the valve to the toilet and flush to empty the water.) We don't have super-heavy stains, though....

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for all your suggestions. You guys are awesome! I didn't have time to go shopping to get the cleaners you suggested, so I thought about what many of you said - elbow grease. So I slapped on a glove and got right dirty by sticking my hand in the bowl (toilet flushed, of course ;)). The stains were made of a thick mineral deposit caking the bowl. It looked dreadful and not at all civil looking! So I took my metal scraper, hoping not to scratch the porcelain. It looked like the porcelain was scratched with blackish-grey scratches. But I kept going anyway. There were some deposits I couldn't get to because of the angle of the scraper, so I took a hard plastic kitchen utensil to get off the rest, which also took off the apparent scrapes from the metal scraper.

So there were no chemicals used, although the disposable plastic glove is not environmentally friendly. I did use bleach to detoxify the kitchen utensil and scraper, which also isn't environmentally friendly. But the solution was as least toxic to me and the environment as possible. In case anyone else has this problem, here's a pic of the tools I used:

Tool

I'll reuse the plastic scraper only for the toilet now of course! :D The metal scraper is clean now and good to go for all the other jobs it does - including cleaning my stove, which was recommended by you guys when I first moved here.

Again, thank you all for your help. You guys rock my world! :love:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Pumice stone is the thing for mineral deposits. Despite what you might think, it doesn't scratch the porcelain, just removes the limescale. Environmentally friendly and no risks to your health, either.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Don't forget under the rim !
Yes thats where all the germs live, yes they do I have seen all the adds and P & G would not lie. :spit:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts