Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, as the title suggests, I have returned to Australia after a stint working in a pub in England. I emailed them recently to ask for either a p45 form or a Statement of Earnings....they sent me a Tax Calculation from HM Revenue and Customs (I take it this has the same purpose?). Now the problem is finding the right information on how to actually get my tax back! I have searched all over the HMRC website but keep being directed to the same useless pages. I don't really wish to call them from Australia, but will do so if I have to (lol)

I hope someone can help me! I wouldn't be worrying about this if it was just a small sum of money, but as I was taxed the emergency rate, I'm owed quite a bit!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Hi there, as the title suggests, I have returned to Australia after a stint working in a pub in England. I emailed them recently to ask for either a p45 form or a Statement of Earnings....they sent me a Tax Calculation from HM Revenue and Customs (I take it this has the same purpose?). Now the problem is finding the right information on how to actually get my tax back! I have searched all over the HMRC website but keep being directed to the same useless pages. I don't really wish to call them from Australia, but will do so if I have to (lol)

I hope someone can help me! I wouldn't be worrying about this if it was just a small sum of money, but as I was taxed the emergency rate, I'm owed quite a bit!
You need P45 from your last employer to claim repayment so ask for it again (tax calculation alone isn't enough, as it only refers to the last tax year ended on 5 April 2011), which you do on form P50 to be downloaded from the HMRC site at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf. Complete it, enclose parts 2 and 3 of P45 to your tax office, which should be on P45. You can ask your repaid tax to be credited to your UK account (if you have one), paid into someone else's UK account you nominate or to be posted to you in the form of a warrant (like a cheque) in sterling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was working there from June-October 2010, so does this still mean that I require the p45 form (as the tax calculation sent to me would still be up to date regarding all I've earnt over there)?

I'm also wondering why the pub didn't just send me my p45 like I asked them to in my email? I did have to leave abruptly, but surely they would have a p45 for me as it's the law...

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was working there from June-October 2010, so does this still mean that I require the p45 form (as the tax calculation sent to me would still be up to date regarding all I've earnt over there)?

I'm also wondering why the pub didn't just send me my p45 like I asked them to in my email? I did have to leave abruptly, but surely they would have a p45 for me as it's the law...
If your former employer has given you a statement of earnings (that's what is officially called) for each of the past six tax years you worked for them, then that should be sufficient to make a replayment claim on P50, so enclose it with your form, but take a photocopy first for your record, and I suggest you send it by recorded or insured service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.