Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was aware of 2 months automatic extension for US taxpayers abroad – but I didn’t understand that this only apply for filling – not for paying. :(

So it looks that I have to pay some interest on amount of tax I owe to IRS since April, 15. Do I have to pay any penalty?

How´s one supposed to know how much to pay exactly? Where can I calculate interest charges and any applicable penalty fee?

·
Administrator
50,382 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was aware of 2 months automatic extension for US taxpayers abroad – but I didn’t understand that this only apply for filling – not for paying. :(

So it looks that I have to pay some interest on amount of tax I owe to IRS since April, 15. Do I have to pay any penalty?

How´s one supposed to know how much to pay exactly? Where can I calculate interest charges and any applicable penalty fee?
I wouldn't do them any favors. Let them calculate it and come after you for it. If they want something extra , don't worry , they will let you know. I have had penalties waived in the past but not interest unfortunately. But I would not try to figure it out myself because chances would be my figures would be incorrect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts