Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks for all the folks who contributed to previous e book threads which I've read. I'm starting a new thread as those ones didn't really help for my situation and because technology moves on so fast there might be more out there for me to learn (before I give up and tear my hair out).

Ok, so I've just bought a Sony Reader PRS-T2, which I think is their latest model. I chose it as it came up as #1 from a survey I did as to which kind of reader would suit me best, and because a librarian friend of mine (who, like me, also loves 'real books') recommended it. She has one and finds it good to use - esp because it supports EPUB and other formats so you're not locked into buying from one source - you can also borrow from libraries and download free e books too.

Only problem is - where do I get e books in France?
I have done a lot of research and it seems pretty hard to get hold of them. Crazy Sony France sold me and ereader but will not sell me any ebooks as they only have ebook stores for customers in US and Canada! GRR.
Here in France there's FNAC but their selection is pretty limited - and boy, are they expensive! My librarian friend says you can buy ebooks from physical stores now but WH Smith etc don't sell any here and it seems near impossible to buy from overseas stores, physical ones or online stores, without a local mailing address and credit card from that country.

As you'll notice, I'm from NZ, so have no useful links with US or UK (where most English language publishers and suppliers are). I am starting to read books in French but at this stage it's still a lot of hard work for me so I want to be able to get hold of e books in English - e books so I can have instant access to them and since I've bought a jolly ereader now. (Also, no more room on my bookshelves!) My family in NZ also want to be able to buy me ebooks but I'm not sure how that could work?

I realise there are some great sites to download out of copyright books and that FNAC has some bestsellers but most of what I want to read at the moment falls somewhere between there - modern literary fiction, I suppose. And I've been lucky enough to find an English language bookclub in my new town here so there are specific titles I'll need - not just any old book in English.

I don't mind buying books, I like authors to get paid! I also wouldn't complain about freely available e books. I just need ideas as to where to look and how to buy them from France.

·
Administrator
51,574 Posts
FNAC is actually affiliated with an e-book store called Kobo, which started out as the e-book selling arm of one of the big Canadian bookstores. They have since been sold to a Japanese company - but the good news is that Kobo will still sell to just about anyone, and in several languages. eBooks and eReaders from Kobo - Kobo If you sign up from France, and use your French credit card to pay for your books, they'll quote you prices in euros, no matter what language you buy your books in. (You have to register with the same physical address as the billing address for the credit card you use to pay for the books.)

I've actually managed to get registered for the Sony bookstore in the US - but that's from when I got my first Sony reader a few years back, and you could set the thing for which country manually. But I also buy Sony gift cards from the US rather than trying to use my credit card on their site.

Two sites you should check out for more information about other e-book sellers: MobileRead Forums has a wiki with lots of information about e-books and e-book sellers and libraries and all sorts of other information.

There is also a great open source software you can get for e-readers of all types called Calibre calibre - E-book management It's for organizing and maintaining your e-book library on your computer (so that you can keep back-up copies of the books you purchase), and it has a number of other very useful functions, including converting the formats of e-books from to another. Plus, a "find books" feature that helps you locate a specific title among the many e-book sellers.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bev for your reply. That all sounds excellent - esp the 'find books' feature to help save me time. I'll look at all those links. Glad to hear there's someone else here using a Sony reader from France (everyone in my bookclub is just very organised and buys real paperbacks online - I don't want to wait for those delivery times!). Hopefully I'll soon get my head around all of this online book shopping business and may be able to help others in the future even. Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.