Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Does anyone know if it is an option to break a lease/tennancy agreement in Paris? If it is possible, how easy is it to do and what are the penalties if you have rented through an agent?

Cheers

Natalie

G

·
Furnished or unfurnished? What does the small print of the 'bail' say? It should explicitly explain the conditions under which the agreement can be broken.

Otherwise plenty of agreements require, say, a month's notice from the tenant, while the landlord needs good cause to terminate the lease prior to the end of the term.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there.

I haven't read the contract (I can't read French) I could ask my husband, but I just thought there might be a general rule for a tennant breaking a lease.

We are renting a furnished apartment for 12 months but if it is easy to break a lease then it would be great to find a bigger place 6 months down the track.

Cheers

Furnished or unfurnished? What does the small print of the 'bail' say? It should explicitly explain the conditions under which the agreement can be broken.

Otherwise plenty of agreements require, say, a month's notice from the tenant, while the landlord needs good cause to terminate the lease prior to the end of the term.

G

·
My tenants in the south of France (12 month, furnished) have to give one month's notice, which is pretty standard. But individual agreements may differ. For example I have rented out apartments in the Alps for the full winter ski season, with payment (non-recoverable) up front.

·
Administrator
50,434 Posts
Renting a furnished place means you fall under a different set of laws than for an unfurnished place. You need to check your lease terms pretty carefully. And on a one-year lease, I suspect you won't have much of an out.

There is one general principle I'm aware of, and that's if you have to move because of a change in job or a transfer to another area, you're supposed to be able to break a lease with 30 days notice. It applies to a residential lease (ie. unfurnished) but I suspect you might be able to invoke it on a one-year lease. However I wouldn't count on it.

Plan your search for a bigger place to coincide with the end of the lease term.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.