Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at studying in Canada in September 2013 and will be applying for a study permit. My husband will come on an open work visa and our daughter will also be coming with us.

My question is, how soon can we enter the country? For example, If I apply for the study permit in January 2013, and all goes well and we receive our visas in March, can we enter as soon as we have the visas? Do we need to wait like 30 days before I commence my studies in September 2013?

Any replies from previous expats arriving on study visas would be much appreciated!

Hope everything I wrote makes sense!

Cheers,
Suzie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As soon as you have your visa
So I guess the other question is, how far out can you apply for the Study permit? If I ended up deferring my studies till Sept 2014, can we still apply Jan 2013 next year and go March 2013?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand what rules are imposed. I understand I can't work until I have studied for 6 months, but my husband can work from day 1, which is why I wanted to check.

Thanks so much!

Suzie

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Student visa is only valid if you actualy are attending the college or university. So if you want to start in September 2014, the university will give you the paperwork with that start date, and the consulate will issue a visa that is valid starting in September 2014.
I don't even think you can appply for a place/visa for Sept. 2014 yet.

I don't know about Canada, but I know for the US that, if you are having a student visa, you can enter the county a couple of weeks before the start of the school year. Don't know by heart if it's 2 weeks or 30 days or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.