Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to ask those that rented a property in OZ, did you change your locks when you moved in as I'm worried on how secure the property would be and queried this with our tenancy agents - Harcourts and they said that they would assume that the previous tenants were being honest when they returned all the keys before they were handed to the new tenants. We do have permission to change the locks provided we give Harcourts a set of the new ones.

xx Satty:love:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I didn't personally, but you can as long it's cleared by owner and real estate. You need to give the real estate agent a set of the new keys as they do 1-2 inspections per year (they'll inform you before they do that).

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to ask those that rented a property in OZ, did you change your locks when you moved in as I'm worried on how secure the property would be and queried this with our tenancy agents - Harcourts and they said that they would assume that the previous tenants were being honest when they returned all the keys before they were handed to the new tenants. We do have permission to change the locks provided we give Harcourts a set of the new ones.

xx Satty:love:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Weren't you weary that it could be dodgy and you could come back one day where all your stuffs gone. I know most tenants are 99% trustworthy as they're in the same boat as us but I'm wondering if it's a big gamble to take as we have a lot of valuables and expensive gadgets. My OH has said it shouldn't be a problem but I'm not too sure. I think it's the UK in me that can't trust 100%. Lets see what the others say as maybe i'm wrong to think like this.
xx

I didn't personally, but you can as long it's cleared by owner and real estate. You need to give the real estate agent a set of the new keys as they do 1-2 inspections per year (they'll inform you before they do that).

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
That's why I got home and contents insurance. As long as the locks met the requirement from the Insurance company I was covered. For really valuable stuff (i.e. gems) I would get a safety deposit box at a bank.

The crime levels are not the same as the UK so not as worried here.

Hi, Weren't you weary that it could be dodgy and you could come back one day where all your stuffs gone. I know most tenants are 99% trustworthy as they're in the same boat as us but I'm wondering if it's a big gamble to take as we have a lot of valuables and expensive gadgets. My OH has said it shouldn't be a problem but I'm not too sure. I think it's the UK in me that can't trust 100%.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts