Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are we as foreign visitors and expats actually safe anywhere in this country?
This article seems to give rise to the question and makes one wonder if this is Nazi Germany or the tropical paradise we have come to think it is...

{Philippine Daily Inquirer}

·
Registered
331 Posts
This article seems to give rise to the question and makes one wonder if this is Nazi Germany or the tropical paradise we have come to think it is...

Not sure why this is being questioned as a safety issue!
She was with others, allowed in as guests, who came not as true visitors but as agitators! Personally, I fully support a nation's right to deport such! Wish the US would do the same!
My opinion!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Not sure why this is being questioned as a safety issue!
She was with others, allowed in as guests, who came not as true visitors but as agitators! Personally, I fully support a nation's right to deport such! Wish the US would do the same!
My opinion!
As it appears they had lawyers at the ready it does seem there's more to her than being a poor college student in a foreign land. Same can happen in the US...

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As it appears they had lawyers at the ready it does seem there's more to her than being a poor college student in a foreign land. Same can happen in the US...
Just on a guess, the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada would have attorneys under retainer for students in foreign countries such as this. If so, then anyone could be picked up just by being in the wrong place or even for no reason at all. Considering that eight others were detained and that this girl was in the process of leaving the country in a few minutes anyway raises serious red flags for anyone traveling here and may, unless there are details not known cause fewer people to come here to live and spend their lives and retirement income.

Reactions: joenasia and M.C.A.

·
Super Moderator
3,835 Posts

Yea it's a human rights issue and just another area that vigilance is required in .... as if a foreigner makes all the difference in a protest, they don't but its backfiring on ( ? ) because now it's starting to make world headlines, apparently before that it's okay and business as usual :spy:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You guys are forgetting one of the axioms!!!! Do not get involved in politics! They are not here to live and stay. They are young, stupid and gullible thinking that they can change the world! Sound familiar???

I think that they would screw this country up even more if they had their way.

just my $.02

"don't quote me on the exchange rate"

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are forgetting one of the axioms!!!! Do not get involved in politics! They are not here to live and stay. They are young, stupid and gullible thinking that they can change the world! Sound familiar???

just my $.02

Who? Us? Were we ever that young or stupid? Hahaha. Thats for sure Jon--you make a good point...

Reactions: billygoat

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

In a very short article the governmet has turned this young girl loose and put her on a flight out of the country. I have a feeling this is one case the government wants to forget. Wonder how long she would have been held if not for the legal team making some noise in her behalf?

Reactions: M.C.A.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Jon, I am a young guy myself (24) but fact of matter is it don't matter your age you just got to mentally prepare yourself for life you will live here. It is best to have your partner family by your side. This is a family oriented country you wont last long without planning 10 steps in advance. Don't come to Philippines without a plan is what I am saying. Nonetheless never get involve in politics anyways it lead to argument wherever you go.

just my $.02

·
Registered
60 Posts
Washington, D.C. Be all the jackass you want to be!

I have to say after a week in DC (2 wks ago) I think is perfectly safe to protest, be obnoxious, display your hate of the USA, DEMAND AND GET ALL THE SECURITY AND RIGHTS of a law abiding, tax paying citizen! California lower courts just allow an illegal from Mexico educated in USA since a child then graduated from American law school to PRACTICE LAW IN USA COURTS!!! HE IS MEXICAN! ONLY IN AMERICA!!!! This young Canadian lady in the protest was a guest. I'm a guest. Careful in style of interference! I gave up basically on my home country's ideology and disregard for the constitution so the last thing I'm interested is participating in the pathetic twisted third world politics of the Philippines!! If someone has a passion or bone to pick with one group or another as a foreigner then go to the source. Donate money, time, skills, or..... :) then if your deported you actually earned it!! She was harmless and purely an easy example. Sort of like a cop stopping granny on the way to deliver grandkids to Sunday school with bad taillight!!!!! How about a car load of weaving thugs on a back street.... Hmmmm. Why not load a sinking ship in Zamboanga with deportees!!!!???? Just an observation.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have to say after a week in DC (2 wks ago) I think is perfectly safe to protest, be obnoxious, display your hate of the USA, DEMAND AND GET ALL THE SECURITY AND RIGHTS of a law abiding, tax paying citizen! California lower courts just allow an illegal from Mexico educated in USA since a child then graduated from American law school to PRACTICE LAW IN USA COURTS!!! HE IS MEXICAN! ONLY IN AMERICA!!!! This young Canadian lady in the protest was a guest. I'm a guest. Careful in style of interference! I gave up basically on my home country's ideology and disregard for the constitution so the last thing I'm interested is participating in the pathetic twisted third world politics of the Philippines!! If someone has a passion or bone to pick with one group or another as a foreigner then go to the source. Donate money, time, skills, or..... :) then if your deported you actually earned it!! She was harmless and purely an easy example. Sort of like a cop stopping granny on the way to deliver grandkids to Sunday school with bad taillight!!!!! How about a car load of weaving thugs on a back street.... Hmmmm. Why not load a sinking ship in Zamboanga with deportees!!!!???? Just an observation.
A few days ago, I read a news article in which one of the prominent and respected Philippine Senators actually made the proposal that the right to vote should be restricted to tax payers! The reasoning was that this would limited the corruption of vote buying and the Ability of political dynasties to sway "dependent" populations.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well Joe the United States is nowhere how it use to be, and will not be that way again. Say for example DC and the Mexican thing the hispanic background in U.S. is becoming one of the larger ones, also Asian, Middle Easterners and the such. I wont judge an individual on being able to live his/her dream in U.S. as least he earned his way through school and isnt mooching the government for money like alot of mexicans. Nonethless what is going on here in Philippines is common sense precautions. United States is larger open to more crime and connections. So if you want to talk safe even in manila you will likely be more safer in Pasay then some place like NY or Chicago. One thing that is drawing factor for me in Philippines is the transportation wherever you are. I dont want the up keep a car requires every month so its simpler take a bus, a tricycle, something like that.

·
Registered
405 Posts
One of the things that we all have to remember...As an ExPat, we are considered to be 'persona non grata' in this country. Because we are 'foreigners' we have no rights. I agree with 'never or do not get involved in politics.' Those who were involved in the protest didn't help the situation any. They had their 15 minutes of fame and that was it. The girl was lucky she still isn't in a Filipino prison. She is deported and blacklisted and will never, as long as she lives, be allowed to return to this country.

Reactions: joenasia

·
Registered
102 Posts
One of the things that we all have to remember...As an ExPat, we are considered to be 'persona non grata' in this country. Because we are 'foreigners' we have no rights. I agree with 'never or do not get involved in politics.' Those who were involved in the protest didn't help the situation any. They had their 15 minutes of fame and that was it. The girl was lucky she still isn't in a Filipino prison. She is deported and blacklisted and will never, as long as she lives, be allowed to return to this country.
'Persona non grata'... ? That's a bit of a overstatement, isn't it?

Why would any foreinger decide to retire here if that were, by definition, the case... or how could it even be possible to do so?

I do whole-heartedly agree that foreingers need to stay out of politics. It's not our country. As Westerners we need to remember that our rights at home simply don't apply here. Let the Western governments apply the pressure to the Philippines to create changes. I agree the 'individual' foreinger has 'no right' to get involved in this country's politics.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reactions: M.C.A. and joenasia

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's quite a story they ran in the paper. Bad here too as they don't seem to care whos in the way when they decide to attack and kill someone--and that's just one more good reason to not get into or close to political events...
More than likely, one or more of the perps known by the family! Hence the attempt not to leave witnesses to id them.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Safety An Issue Again

Things happening around the world can and will have a very clear effect on our safety here as expats. The recent happenings in Zamboanga is just one example of such. Unfortunately, here is another example that has the definite possibility of effecting safety for all of us considering the lax security everywhere in the country...

Exhibit A:

·
Registered
998 Posts
mall of asia

Things happening around the world can and will have a very clear effect on our safety here as expats. The recent happenings in Zamboanga is just one example of such. Unfortunately, here is another example that has the deffinate possibility of effecting safety for all of us considering the lax security everywhere in the country...

Exhibit A:

I was outside at Mall of Asia last Ramadan holiday evening and must say I was a little spooked when fireworks started going off until I knew what was going on. Was looking for cover just in case lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts