Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, with a possible move from the uk to dc on the horizon I would like to know how much tax is going to be taken out of my salary. I've seen online tax calculators but for an accurate calculation it needs details and I don't know exactly which type of taxes I'll have to pay. Can anyone help?

Also if anyone could comment on teachers salaries, and perhaps give me some examples of low/mid range and high salary amounts that would be very useful.

Thank you

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Hi, with a possible move from the uk to dc on the horizon I would like to know how much tax is going to be taken out of my salary. I've seen online tax calculators but for an accurate calculation it needs details and I don't know exactly which type of taxes I'll have to pay. Can anyone help?

Also if anyone could comment on teachers salaries, and perhaps give me some examples of low/mid range and high salary amounts that would be very useful.

Thank you
IRS.gov will give you actual numbers on taxes. You have to look at federal, state and local income taxes to come up with a realistic number. 25-300% is a good guess.

How do you expect numbers on salaries with the information you give? Start with US Department of Statistics and US Department of Labor. The sites are a treasure trove of information.

·
Administrator
51,543 Posts
IRS.gov will give you actual numbers on taxes. You have to look at federal, state and local income taxes to come up with a realistic number. 25-300% is a good guess.
I'm hoping that's a typo - because 25 - 30% I can believe. Or else the taxes have really gotten worse back there than I imagined! :p

Teachers' salaries are usually fairly pathetic - though it depends on what kind of teaching you'll be doing. University level teaching is probably more lucrative than primary and secondary level teaching - unless you're doing "post-doc" or some other form of "teaching assistantship" thing. Teaching in the private sector depends entirely on the school that is sponsoring your visa.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
I'm hoping that's a typo - because 25 - 30% I can believe. Or else the taxes have really gotten worse back there than I imagined! :p

Teachers' salaries are usually fairly pathetic - though it depends on what kind of teaching you'll be doing. University level teaching is probably more lucrative than primary and secondary level teaching - unless you're doing "post-doc" or some other form of "teaching assistantship" thing. Teaching in the private sector depends entirely on the school that is sponsoring your visa.
Cheers,
Bev
Just checking:>)
Public school salaries are nothing to write home about. I have been dealing with secondary instructors in allied health at around 40-55k and program directors at 55-75k over the last several months. Some prep schools pay 100-125k. IT all depends on what you bring to the table.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

Thank you
..... and don't forget that Health Insurance premiums will also be taken out of your salary in addition to tax -unless you join a scheme where the employer pays the whole premium.

G

·

Thank you
Here is the pay scale for Distict of Columbia public schools, plus benefit schedule:
Compensation - DC Public Schools, Washington, DC

Here is additional benefits information for the D.C. public school system:

http://dcps.dc.gov/DCPS/About+DCPS/Human+Resources/Employee+Benefits+Information

Running one online calculator for D.C. using a salary of $60,000 per year resulted in net pay of $43,980 = about 27% taken out of your pay.

D.C. sales tax rate is 6%, and 10% on prepared food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts