Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experts,

I am planing to move to Sydney in Feb 2014 and currently I am assuming that I will be continue my job hunting for approximately 3 months.

I am open to stay in shared apartment and would rely majorly on restaurants for my food needs.

Please suggest what should be the per month expenses should I consider for an decent living.

Thanks in advance.
Ashish

G

·
Personally I would assume you need at least 6 months to find a job and get your first wages. Given all the other things you will be trying to sort out as a new migrant it wont be as easy as you think. Always better to over estimate then you wont be stuck if you are on month 7 only just starting work.

·
Registered
251 Posts
$ 10,000

Personally I would assume you need at least 6 months to find a job and get your first wages. Given all the other things you will be trying to sort out as a new migrant it wont be as easy as you think. Always better to over estimate then you wont be stuck if you are on month 7 only just starting work.

Hi,

Also I’d like to add that there is something known as an Incoming Passenger Card given to every passenger on the aircraft. U need to fill the same and handover. There are some questions asked on that card. Plz be very upfront and honest in answering any questions.

For eg. There is a question that states Are you bringing into Australia – More than 2250 ML of alcohol or 50 cigarettes or 50 g of tobacco of products. Suppose u r carrying 200 cigarettes, don’t think that it is a crime to carry more than 50 cigarettes and don’t try to give a wrong answer by saying NO. Plz tick on Yes. Its always better to be safe than sorry or a fine wud be awaiting u at the airport for a minimum of $ 220 for not declaring honestly (if they find out). Always remember DECLARE OR BEWARE.

I’ll take another eg. There is another question that states Are you bringing into Australia – AUD $ 10,000 or more in Australian or foreign currency equivalent? Suppose u r carrying more than $ 10,000, don’t think it is wrong for u to carry $ 10,000 and tick saying NO. Plz tick Yes. The point that I’m trying to make is that Its always good to declare than not declare. If the authorities find out that u r carrying more than $ 10,000 and u have not declared on the Incoming Passenger Card, U get into trouble. U wudnt want to enter Australia on a wrong foot.

Similarly there are various questions on the form. Plz be very honest. Don’t hide anything. If the authorities think that if a certain item shud not be permitted into the country, they wud confiscate and eventually destroy that item. If u declare u end up losing that item but u surely wudnt be fined because u have declared. If u don’t declare and the authorities find out certain stuff that u shudnt be getting into Australia, u r in for some questioning session :photo: and fine.

So no dramas guys. DECLARE OR BEWARE.

Mr Good Guy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Occupation - 263111* ACS Applied - 04th June 2013* IELTS Test Date 8th June 2013*
IELTS results 21st June 2013*All 7 or more* ACS results = +ve 25th September 2013*
EOI 60 points for 189 submitted 1st October 2013* Invitation 21st October 2013 * Visa Lodge ??? * PCC ??? * Med ??? * Case Officer ??? * Visa Grant ??? *
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
106 Posts
Experts,
would rely majorly on restaurants for my food needs.
This is wrong. Learn cooking. Or else be prepared to see heavy money outgo.
And 3 months time frame for job hunting it rather optimistic. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Experts,

I am planing to move to Sydney in Feb 2014 and currently I am assuming that I will be continue my job hunting for approximately 3 months.

I am open to stay in shared apartment and would rely majorly on restaurants for my food needs.

Please suggest what should be the per month expenses should I consider for an decent living.

Thanks in advance.
Ashish
Restaurants? We have some of the most expensive restaurants in the world here. To give you an example, I pay on average about $11 to get a lunch by my office. Now, there are some slightly cheaper options (Japanese udon places for example) but we're still talking about $8. When you add that up over a month, it can be quite a bit of money! Now, if you had to do this for 3 meals a day, you would realise pretty quickly that all your money is going to restaurants! Let's assume you don't bother with breakfast but you still ate out for lunch and dinner, and let's assume the average price of a dinner is $20 while lunch is $10. (These would be considered "cheap" by Australian standards.) You would be looking at spending about $900/month just to meet your basic dietary needs!

If you don't like cooking you can always buy frozen meals from the supermarket or two-minute noodles if you're really desperate.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Fair dinkum ...

Carry sufficient monies or make arrangement for the same money unless u want to live on vegemite all day :D

Yep Eating out can be very expensive and there is no pointing whinging later :smash: Learn to cook...save monies...live on 'home brand'...no dramas.

Spot on.

Mr Good Guy.

Occupation - 263111* ACS Applied - 04th June 2013* IELTS Test Date 8th June 2013*
IELTS results 21st June 2013*All 7 or more* ACS results = +ve 25th September 2013*
EOI 60 points for 189 submitted 1st October 2013* Invitation 21st October 2013 * Visa Lodge ??? * PCC ??? * Med ??? * Case Officer ??? * Visa Grant ??? *

·
Registered
177 Posts
Experts,

Thanks in advance.
Ashish
Hi Mate,
I am also planning feb 2014 to Sydney ,as per my estimates 5 k is sufficient for 3 months provided you are ready to share your accommodation with a group of 3 people as room rent is one of the big area of concern in terms of outgoing money.
Lets be in touch.PM me ur email id and no.
Thanks,
Vijay

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is wrong. Learn cooking. Or else be prepared to see heavy money outgo.
And 3 months time frame for job hunting it rather optimistic. :eek:
Totally Agree it might be optimistic. But currently I don't think I would be able to stay more than that due to financial crunch. I am assuming that 2000$ p.m would buy me a decent living (6000$ for 3 months).

I am not sure if people do work as part time on grocery stores etc just to pass on the job hunt period. Can anyone suggest what is the best way to survive the job hunt time with minimum outflow.

Thanks in advance.
Ashish

·
Registered
251 Posts
Totally Agree it might be optimistic. But currently I don't think I would be able to stay more than that due to financial crunch. I am assuming that 2000$ p.m would buy me a decent living (6000$ for 3 months).

I am not sure if people do work as part time on grocery stores etc just to pass on the job hunt period. Can anyone suggest what is the best way to survive the job hunt time with minimum outflow.

Thanks in advance.
Ashish

G’day Ashish,

How ya going?

The best way to survive the minimum outflow is not to spend money UNNECESARILY :D

I wud actually suggest u to live with international students initially….Usually what happens is that 4 or 5 students rent a Unit and stay together. Ur expenses wud drastically decrease by doing this as most international students live on a budget and I’m sure that u too wud want to live on a budget initially. I’d be very surprised if u’d really need $ 2000 per month. That’s hell loads of money u r talking for sharing a basic unit with basic facilities.

Suppose the rent for the Unit is say $ 450 per week and there r four ppl sharing including u. The rent itself wud amount to $ 112.50 per head per week. So 112.50*4.3 = $ 483.75 per month for rent per individual. For this what u mite want to do is walk into any uni in Sydney and I’ll be stumped if u don’t see rent/accommodation advertisements on the notice boards. (4.3 weeks in a month). So ur expenditure wud amt to approximately $ 500 for rent. (Basic living)

Ur other misc exp wud amt to say $ 200 a week…this includes home-made food, travel exp, bills etc. $200*4.3 = $860 per month for misc exp per individual. So ur expenditure wud amt to approximately $ 900 for rent. (Basic living).

Total monthly exp now amounts to approximately $ 500 + $ 900 = $ 1400 bucks per person in sharing for Rent, Home-made food, Travel exp, bills. Okay so let’s give some more leverage and make it $ 1500.

For starters I’ve arrived at this figure of $ 1500 for living in a city like Sydney… its always subjective and there can be endless debates but I don’t think a rookie will really go on an all out spending spree thinking abt the exchange rate in his hoime country before spending.

So from ur initial assumed budget, I’ve lessened $ 500 …. Gud job done.

The best thing to do wud be to get hold of some bloke in Australia u know as referee for a job say for eg if u want to work in Woolies or Coles till the time u end up getting a job in ur field….I’m assuming they pay alrt. Getting a job can be a difficult task initially if u know nobody.

In the meantime in Sydney, u can apply for a Tax File Number which is very important thing to do. Most employers wud ask for a TFN (or ABN) unless u r ok to work cash in hand. Usually cash in hand jobs pay less. Ur roommates there will surely guide u in this regard.

I hope this helps Ashish and I’m assuming the figures I’ve mentioned r alrt. Taking everything into account, I think I’d be alrt with $1,500 initially till things settle down slowly….

Do not get overwhelmed Ashish. She’ll be apples.

All the best to you.

Mr Good Guy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts