Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of interest, what percentage of salary are people saving per month?

Obviously everyone's salaries are different and I'm not asking for specific amounts.

Just interested to know!

I'm on a 5 year plan and have been saving about 40% of my monthly salary since the start of the year!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
20% of total package value as a base line excluding any bonuses etc.
More when possible.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
With that said, it's safe to assume you're living beyond your means, always cut your coat as per your cloth. Many people are saving on much smaller salaries.
You can't say that as you don't know what a persons situation is. I earn in that area and virtually save nothing, as it's impossible to do so. The majority is chewed up on rent/mortgage payments/bills.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'm on a 5 year plan and have been saving about 40% of my monthly salary since the start of the year!
Same here.

On the average about 40% of combined take-home (salary + bonus, everything coming in for the year) over the last 18 years.

Some years more, some less, depending on the bonus and spending.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
With that said, it's safe to assume you're living beyond your means, always cut your coat as per your cloth. Many people are saving on much smaller salaries.
Depends on the person. Some people refuse to go below a particular standard of living even if they are not saving. I know people saving on a 6k salary as they, being a couple share a room with other couples, something that would be against culture/moral/personal values of many others who would agree to save nothing out of 6k and rather have a separate room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
70% or sometimes 80 ..because I don't drive much, I don't go to any clubs, I don't shop much..
I don't even pay rent. Most of what I spend is for traveling...or indulging.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Savings? What quaint lives you all lead.
I tried and tried and tried, just don't have enough time and energy to spend it all... ;)

If you are a Marina Mark, marrying to a Jumeirah Jane, with a few exbrats in tow, driving R8, having champagne brunches weekly, keeping up with the Mohamed's... then have fun... :)

I do know people leaving UAE worse off financially than when they arrived.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I tried and tried and tried, just don't have enough time and energy to spend it all... ;) If you are a Marina Mark, marrying to a Jumeirah Jane, with a few exbrats in tow, driving R8, having champagne brunches weekly, keeping up with the Mohamed's... then have fun... :) I do know people leaving UAE worse off financially than when they arrived.
You've really nailed Rossi there.... Have you met him?!

Reactions: saraswat

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
You've really nailed Rossi there.... Have you met him?!
No.

And I was not describing Mr Rossi :) it was a generalized "you"... especially I noticed that he is from Scotland (the country of men with shortest arms in the world)... ;)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
(the country of men with shortest arms in the world)... ;)
Be quiet oaf and for the record, I would never fritter even the salaries here on such vulgar trappings as those mentioned above.

My, the little people and their aspirations. Come to Dubai and think that even if they avoid the baubles and trinkets they will rise above their station.

Amusing. Tiring, but amusing.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Be quiet oaf and for the record, I would never fritter even the salaries here on such vulgar trappings as those mentioned above.

My, the little people and their aspirations. Come to Dubai and think that even if they avoid the baubles and trinkets they will rise above their station.

Amusing. Tiring, but amusing.
Sorry, oaf, I only understand American... ;)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
20% of total package value as a base line excluding any bonuses etc.
More when possible.
just worked out the 'cost' of two children....!

Without them, and assuming no change in rent, we'd be at around 45%
it would be a lot less fun, though!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.