Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Can I request group members to suggest how many points I can claim for education and work experience.

I have 11 years of work experience into Software Development. I had done BSC (Agricultural Economics 4 years program) and MCA. Is ACS going to consider me under ITC major or Minor?

Regards

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi All

Can I request group members to suggest how many points I can claim for education and work experience.

I have 11 years of work experience into Software Development. I had done BSC (Agricultural Economics 4 years program) and MCA. Is ACS going to consider me under ITC major or Minor?

Regards
you experience deduction will depend on your degree program by acs.
If it is closely related and ict major you will loose only two years... rest of the deduction criteria is listed under https://www.acs.org.au/content/dam/acs/acs-skills/Summary of Criteria - 2017.pdf

To consider ict major you degree program must have 65% of content from below list

Description of Closely Related Core ICT Units:
• Algorithm design and development
• Compilers - (Compiler Construction, Compiler Theory)
• Data structures
• Formal languages - (Formal Methods, Functional Programming)
• Human Computer Interaction
• Object Oriented Programming
• Operating systems - (Unix, Linux, Xenix, Network OS)
• Programming - (C, C++, Objective C, Visual C, Basic, Visual Basic, Java, Assembler, Cobol, Pascal, PL/1, Fortran, PHP,
Pearl, AS3, FoxPro, and similar)
• Software Engineering
• Systems Programming
• Testing strategies and methods - (Software Testing)

Description of Additional Closely Related ICT Units:

• Artificial intelligence
• Automata theory
• Business Information Systems
• Computer Science
• Critical Path Method
• Database design, Database implementation
• Database Management Systems - (Relational Database, Object Oriented Database, RDBMS)
• Expert Systems
• File Processing
• Information Systems
• Introduction to ICT - (Introduction to Computer Science, Computer Theory, Introduction to Business Computing,
Computer Science I)
• Introduction to Information Systems
• Management Information Systems
• Object Oriented Systems Analysis and Design
• Object Oriented technologies
• Project Management
• Quality management - (Quality Assurance, Software Quality)
• Requirements gathering
• Software validation - (Software Testing)
• Structure of languages
• Systems Analysis and Design
• Telematics
• User Requirements Definition
• Web Engineering - (Web Design, Internet Engineering)

Source: https://www.acs.org.au/content/dam/acs/acs-skills/ANZSCO-Code-Information-2017.pdf

below is my experience

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...2385-ict-major-minor-related-not-related.html

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...major-minor-related-not-related-263111-a.html

·
Registered
58 Posts

Regards
you must have 65 content from below as your job description

261313 - Software Engineer
Designs, develops, modifies, documents, tests, implements, installs and supports software applications and systems.
Description of Employment Duties:
 researching, consulting, analyzing and evaluating system program needs
 identifying technology limitations and deficiencies in existing systems and associated processes, procedures
and methods
 testing, debugging, diagnosing and correcting errors and faults in an applications programming language
within established testing protocols, guidelines and quality standards to ensure programs and applications
perform to specification
 writing and maintaining program code to meet system requirements, system designs and technical
specifications in accordance with quality accredited standards
 writing, updating and maintaining technical program, end user documentation and operational procedures
 providing advice, guidance and expertise in developing proposals and strategies for software design activities
such as financial evaluation and costing for recommending software purchases and upgrades

if above description matches 65 percent of what you do, and worst case you will loose 6 years of experience yet still you have 5 years which means 10 points

"Bachelor Degree or higher ICT Minor NOT closely related to the nominated occupation 6 years relevant ICT work experience completed anytime in past work history "-- source https://www.acs.org.au/content/dam/acs/acs-skills/ANZSCO-Code-Information-2017.pdf

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi All

Regards
You can go for ACS assessment based on your MCA course(Assuming it's master in Computer Applications). There are many examples in this forum where MCA course is assessed as ICT Major and Closely related to Nominated Occupation of Software Engineer. It could be positively assessed with 2 years deduction.

Regarding a post graduate program to be assessed as ICT major following is the snippet from ACS website.
"A post graduate qualification (Graduate Diploma or Masters) that do not require a Bachelor with an ICT major for entry into the course, must have:
• A minimum of 3 semesters or at least 1.5 years of full-time study
• At least 2 semesters or 1 year of full-time equivalent ICT content
• A minimum of 12 units or subjects (overseas degrees may contain less units or subjects)
• 50% ICT content for a 2 year Graduate Diploma or Masters qualification
• 33% ICT content for a 3 year Graduate Diploma or Masters qualification"

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can use your MCA for ICT Major, however they will assess your experience you have after graduating MCA degree. So you can claim the "skilled experience" for points after they deduct 2 years after your have achieved your MCA degree. If you have completed your MCA immediately after your bachelor degree and they you had 11 years work exp then you may not have issues.

In my case i had close to 11 years experience but had Non-ICT Bachelor degree but had Master Degree in Software Engineering. However as my Master degree was completed on part time basis only in year 2016, ACS recommended me to change application to RPL. So they deducted 6 years and also assess my education as ICT Major.

I hope this helps, you may share your education and work exp timeline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.