Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the negativity floating around the forum about how abysmal the job market in Australia is (especially for IT), I'm starting this thread to get an idea of how bad the situation actually is. I'm about to move next month, and would like to have alternate plans as well. I suppose it would help other forum members who are planning to immigrate in the near future. I'm by no means suggesting that the good folk here are lying or exaggerating, so please don't accuse me of doing that.

If you or someone you know experienced any of the following, please post here and describe what happened.

1) Failed a to get a job in your (or their) area of expertise so took up a casual job, and have no plans of going back to your original profession.
2) Was particular about a job in your (or their) own field, was unable to get one, so returned to your (or their) home country.
3) The sorry state of the job market took such a toll on you (or them) that you (or they) attempted suicide, lost your sanity, went into depression etc.
4) Changed your (or their) profession and are now satisfied.

I am personally considering only the above scenarios as 'failures' (4th point, not so much). Feel free to add something else, if you or someone you know went through it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
With all the negativity floating around the forum about how abysmal the job market in Australia is (especially for IT), I'm starting this thread to get an idea of how bad the situation actually is. I'm about to move next month, and would like to have alternate plans as well. I suppose it would help other forum members who are planning to immigrate in the near future. I'm by no means suggesting that the good folk here are lying or exaggerating, so please don't accuse me of doing that.

If you or someone you know experienced any of the following, please post here and describe what happened.

1) Failed a to get a job in your (or their) area of expertise so took up a casual job, and have no plans of going back to your original profession.
2) Was particular about a job in your (or their) own field, was unable to get one, so returned to your (or their) home country.
3) The sorry state of the job market took such a toll on you (or them) that you (or they) attempted suicide, lost your sanity, went into depression etc.

I am personally considering only the above scenarios as 'failures' (4th point, not so much). Feel free to add something else, if you or someone you know went through it.
Apprecaite you starting this thread funkyzoom! I am as eager as you to hear people's experiences. I'm reaching Sydney in mid june and will start my job hunt then. Cheers!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apprecaite you starting this thread funkyzoom! I am as eager as you to hear people's experiences. I'm reaching Sydney in mid june and will start my job hunt then. Cheers!
I appreciate your appreciation! :p

I wanted to start this thread quite long back, but held the idea back until my tickets were booked.

The opinions on the job market seems to be highly polarized, so I just want to know the EXTENT to which the state of the job market is affecting the concerned people.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been to Brisbane few months back and returned back to.India becoz of no.suitable job.I was in manufacturing industry in India.I was so much depressed with job scenario that I decided to return back.They want Australian experience.
That's really sad to hear. Were you on a190 visa, which prevented you from trying for jobs in other states? Were you able to get interviews scheduled and then got rejected, or were you unsuccessful in getting interviews scheduled?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually I was on 489/visa.It was regional Queensland.I applied through seek,Gumtree and also by visiting personally. But, there was no response.I.have so many email received which says your application for job was unsuccessful. People change their name in Australia to find job.Australian employer want local experience and local names.But, I can't change my name.Its my identity.I have ielya score of 7.5.

·
Registered
41 Posts
And there is no such shortage of professions which they put on SOL.I was production manager in India and I applied 489/visa.But, there are no factories in Regional Qld.

·
Registered
208 Posts

When i was in 457 and working in Perth a year back. One of my room mate and couple of his friends were so frustrated that they are back after two years. While i will be going back in july on PR. Few things i observed in there case.

1) Don't start with places like Perth and South (especially if you are from IT) . Unless you are already getting some offer or you are from some domain like mining/ oil and gas.
2) IT jobs especially common niche area like Java, C# have plenty of the competition. So if you don't have any substantial thing to differentiate between yourself and others you will not get the job.
3) They had the casual jobs but the nature of casual jobs wont help you much and you will never feel settled.

On other side i have seen many people were able to get the job in my firm even though the company preferred the 457 guys, i found people joining in PR role in permanent positions. I tried to forward there resumes but they couldn't get the call because of domain issue.:(

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I was on 489/visa.It was regional Queensland.I applied through seek,Gumtree and also by visiting personally. But, there was no response.I.have so many email received which says your application for job was unsuccessful. People change their name in Australia to find job.Australian employer want local experience and local names.But, I can't change my name.Its my identity.I have ielya score of 7.5.
I have heard people say that usually the recruiters and employers prefer Permanent Residents or Australian citizens over other types of candidates. Maybe that was the reason why you faced issues.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
When i was in 457 and working in Perth a year back. One of my room mate and couple of his friends were so frustrated that they are back after two years. While i will be going back in july on PR. Few things i observed in there case.

1) Don't start with places like Perth and South (especially if you are from IT) . Unless you are already getting some offer or you are from some domain like mining/ oil and gas.
2) IT jobs especially common niche area like Java, C# have plenty of the competition. So if you don't have any substantial thing to differentiate between yourself and others you will not get the job.
3) They had the casual jobs but the nature of casual jobs wont help you much and you will never feel settled.

On other side i have seen many people were able to get the job in my firm even though the company preferred the 457 guys, i found people joining in PR role in permanent positions. I tried to forward there resumes but they couldn't get the call because of domain issue.:(
Thanks for sharing this! Much appreciated!
So how important is domain knowledge? I work in a startup where I don't have the luxury of sticking to a domain, since I have to do whatever my manager asks me to (irrespective of domain). As a result, I have now worked successfully on over 20 projects, most of them in different domains.
Most of the projects I worked on, had only 2 team members - a developer (me) and a tester. The load on me was immense. I was usually responsible for front end design, coding of business logic, database implementation and sometimes even unit testing. The tester handled integration testing, deployment and browser compatibility.

Reactions: samdam

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for sharing this! Much appreciated!
So how important is domain knowledge? I work in a startup where I don't have the luxury of sticking to a domain, since I have to do whatever my manager asks me to (irrespective of domain). As a result, I have now worked successfully on over 20 projects, most of them in different domains.
Most of the projects I worked on, had only 2 team members - a developer (me) and a tester. The load on me was immense. I was usually responsible for front end design, coding of business logic, database implementation and sometimes even unit testing. The tester handled integration testing, deployment and browser compatibility.
I think you must show that as your plus points. If you have worked on the entire project from scratch to end, you can sell yourself as the person with individual contributor role.
I think you should head to NSW and try your luck in some real good tech firms there looking for people like you.
You must be prepared for a intensive tech interview as you will be focusing on one .
Do you have evidences to support your claim like public git repo or your own tech blog. Participation in some hackathons or may be stackoverflow contributor kind of guy.
Many people here are 10+ experience and are looking for domain + not so intensive tech role, more of services kind of work. Which gets outsourced to place we are coming from. So if you are really techie few firms would be interested in you irrespective of what this forum and people say.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you must show that as your plus points. If you have worked on the entire project from scratch to end, you can sell yourself as the person with individual contributor role.
I think you should head to NSW and try your luck in some real good tech firms there looking for people like you.
You must be prepared for a intensive tech interview as you will be focusing on one .
Do you have evidences to support your claim like public git repo or your own tech blog. Participation in some hackathons or may be stackoverflow contributor kind of guy.
Many people here are 10+ experience and are looking for domain + not so intensive tech role, more of services kind of work. Which gets outsourced to place we are coming from. So if you are really techie few firms would be interested in you irrespective of what this forum and people say.
Thanks for the input!
Unfortunately, I don't have any of those you mentioned, to prove my skills. All I have are Microsoft certifications (I'm a.NET developer)and a referral letter from my employer (which i got for ACS assessment) which states that I do end-to-end development.
My Microsoft certifications do cover several different aspects of development, so I just hope they can bail me out.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Hey Funky

what a sad and discouraging thread. I think I know from your previous threads/posts that you are quite nervous/desperate about your job hunt but what is the point in sharing the bad news? I do not really get it. If I would be in your shoes I would start a "positive thread" asking who has been SUCCESSFUL in securing a job and try to find out how and why...

Anyway, just a thought ;)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Funky

what a sad and discouraging thread. I think I know from your previous threads/posts that you are quite nervous/desperate about your job hunt but what is the point in sharing the bad news? I do not really get it. If I would be in your shoes I would start a "positive thread" asking who has been SUCCESSFUL in securing a job and try to find out how and why...

Anyway, just a thought ;)
Please don't get me wrong. I'm still positive. Actually, this thread was meant as a sarcastic reply to all those members here who spread negativity all around and claim to be realistic. I wanted to see to what extent these people were affected. But as you see, hardly anyone who are famous for negative posts here, have replied to this thread!

Also, since I only have very few days before I immigrate, I admit that I'm slightly nervous and pessimistic, although my enthusiasm still remains the same. Perhaps my current state of mind was also partially responsible for me starting this thread, but that may be just around 5%. My main goal was definitely to be sarcastic, and also see if the so called people who suffered without jobs for months or years, would actually care to post here. As we can see, until now they haven't, and I doubt if they ever will!

P.S. I'm talking about the 'habitual' pessimists here, not the couple of people who have posted issues.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Please don't get me wrong. I'm still positive. Actually, this thread was meant as a sarcastic reply to all those members here who spread negativity all around and claim to be realistic. I wanted to see to what extent these people were affected. But as you see, hardly anyone who are famous for negative posts here, have replied to this thread!

Also, since I only have very few days before I immigrate, I admit that I'm slightly nervous and pessimistic, although my enthusiasm still remains the same. Perhaps my current state of mind was also partially responsible for me starting this thread, but that may be just around 5%. My main goal was definitely to be sarcastic, and also see if the so called people who suffered without jobs for months or years, would actually care to post here. As we can see, until now they haven't, and I doubt if they ever will!

P.S. I'm talking about the 'habitual' pessimists here, not the couple of people who have posted issues.
Good luck for your job hunt! Have you set yourself a time limit?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good luck for your job hunt! Have you set yourself a time limit?
Thank you!

Yeah, my time limit is 2 months, because I only have enough savings to last me 2 months in Oz. Also, my unpaid leave is only for 2 months. If I try hard, it may be possible to extend the unpaid leave by one more month, and also stretch the money to last for that extra month.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Hey Funkyzoom,

Appreciate the thought behind the thread, subscribing now!
Wish you all the best for your job hunt.
Get a job soon and prove the Cynics wrong once and for all, God Bless.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wanted to give a different spin to all the negativity I hear around here.

I'm from Canada, IT is hugely saturated here as well, with a lot of immigrants applying for IT jobs. I am a Lead Architect and am highly involved in the hiring process at my company. I sit in on interviews and developed both a coding test and a written test for candidates. I've been doing this for at least 2 years. Here is what it looks like from the viewpoint from someone who does the hiring:

- We get a lot of resumes for any open position we list. We're talking like 50+ resumes for an open position, all within a week of posting. Of these 50, we might get 3 - 5 that we deem "relevant". If you look at the Department of Industry Guide for 2015-2016:

http://www.industry.gov.au/industry/Office-of-the-Chief-Economist/SkilledOccupationList/Documents/2015Submissions/Department-of-Employment.pdf

The numbers numbers very closely correspond to the Australian job market for ICT. My first advice is to make sure your resume is up-to-date, and make sure it is relevant for what you are applying to. If it's not, it will more than likely go to the discard pile right away. We will put out a position such as ASP.NET MVC developer and we will get resumes with only C++ or SQL experience.

- Also related to resume writing, we see tons of resumes. They all look the same. If you can make your resume stand out with a nice layout without being too distracting, this will help catch our eye. Also, make sure you proof your resume! Nothing worse than seeing spelling and grammatical errors. If we can spend time looking at resumes, you can spend time reviewing yours to make sure it doesn't contain these type of errors.

- If you're asked to code something, make sure it is code you would consider "production"-ready. I get so many coding solutions that have no comments, contain no logging, or are just completely un-organized/lazy junk code. These are immediately discarded as well.

- During the interview, we ask technical questions relevant to the open position. We get an awful lot of answers that show us that you are either:

a) Not prepared for the interview
b) Lying about your job duties on your resume
c) Not good at explaining technical stuff

All these are bad in their own way. a) is obviously very bad. Do some review prior to the interview, being prepared is the easiest thing you can do for an interview. b) is just as bad as a), if you lie, you might as well come clean. At least we will respect you. If you don't come clean, trust us, we will know. For c), this is bad because you need to be able to communicate in your day-to-day duties. If you cannot explain what you are doing, we don't want you. Sorry, but this is reality.

In general, in the interviews, we want you to relax, we want to see a passion for what you are doing, and we are looking for exceptional communication skills. We get a lot of immigrants for interviews, and I would say, one weakness is communication skills. We don't care about accents or where you are from, but we need to be able to understand what is going on in your brain. If you can't easily convey your thoughts, this is a huge deterrent for getting your job done.

I'm not saying there is a direct correlation to the Austrailian ICT market, but there are going to be an awful lot of similarities. While I would imagine, local experience is a huge asset in the ICT market, there are other factors involved in giving out interviews and jobs. You should re-assess your job hunting process and see if there is something you can do to enhance your chances.

I do not work for any type of recruitment company, I am in the same boat as many of you, attempting to immigrate to Australia as a Software Engineer. I just thought this might give a different perspective to job seekers.

Good luck with your job hunting!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Funkyzoom,

Appreciate the thought behind the thread, subscribing now!
Wish you all the best for your job hunt.
Get a job soon and prove the Cynics wrong once and for all, God Bless.
Thank you for your encouraging words! I managed to get around 10 initial responses (calls/emails) within a fortnight of applying from India, and that too with an Indian number. None of them materialized into interviews for reasons beyond my control.

But I suppose this is an encouraging sign, so I may be able to secure a job soon after moving to Oz.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts