Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
50,460 Posts
Only 11/25 for me - but I fudged a couple of the questions. Have eaten snails no problem, but in Burgundy? Not sure. Depends if they were on the menu. (But if they were, I surely ordered them!) And choucroute, too (or was that question about charcuterie?) - but not in Alsace.

Strikes me as "touristy" things, not necessarily those you'd expect of the long-term residents. (It used to be a running joke that most New Yorkers had never visited the Statue of Liberty.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
9/25

I've eaten choucroute, but, not in Alsace.
Our scores, I take it to mean, all of us are the adventurous sort!
We dance to the beat of our own drum....we love to get off the beaten path!
Good for us!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Questions like:
1. Have you ever used a "toilette à la turque".. (aka the giant's footsteps!)
2. Have you ever tried "tête de veau"?
3. Have you ever driven a Citroen DS?
4. Walked the streets of Paris at night with your lover?
5. Been up the Eiffel Tower?
6. Eaten more than a dozen oysters at one sitting?
7. Been to a traditional French wedding?
8. Stayed up until dawn in the streets of Paris?
9. Have you ever been dumped in Paris?
10. Been to a Bal dansant in Montmartre?
11. Have you ever camped in France?
12. Ridden a motorcycle in France?
And last but not least:
13. Have you ever kissed a Frenchman/woman (opposite sex only I'm afraid - no bonus points!)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Questions like:
1. Have you ever used a "toilette à la turque".. (aka the giant's footsteps!)
2. Have you ever tried "tête de veau"?
3. Have you ever driven a Citroen DS?
4. Walked the streets of Paris at night with your lover?
5. Been up the Eiffel Tower?
6. Eaten more than a dozen oysters at one sitting?
7. Been to a traditional French wedding?
8. Stayed up until dawn in the streets of Paris?
9. Have you ever been dumped in Paris?
10. Been to a Bal dansant in Montmartre?
11. Have you ever camped in France?
12. Ridden a motorcycle in France?
And last but not least:
13. Have you ever kissed a Frenchman/woman (opposite sex only I'm afraid - no bonus points!)
I get 6

Have you ever spent a Sunday afternoon going round Paris on the Metro?
Have you ever taken the boat from Bastille up Canal St Martin?

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I only got 12 - but what about the thousands of other genuinely French experiences? We must all be bored to even give it a try :D

OK, I'm going to do the Tour de France one now :D

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Well I'll admit that a lot of the things I did were very specific to my own interests, as opposed to regular tourist things. And no being dumped or kissed for me (yet) because I am a weird loner!

Here how about this one...Ever walked for nine hours straight in a coastal town/farm area in Bretagne searching for a specific church that probably doesn't exist only to return home to seeing a "pig parade" happening on the pier? Yes, it was some unveiling ceremony of different giant painted pigs, with little crowds around each one politely clapping and "oo-ing" and "aww-ing" after each was revealed. Even though my legs were killing me, I still had to watch that...

Well, have you!? ;P

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I'll admit that a lot of the things I did were very specific to my own interests, as opposed to regular tourist things. And no being dumped or kissed for me (yet) because I am a weird loner!

Here how about this one...Ever walked for nine hours straight in a coastal town/farm area in Bretagne searching for a specific church that probably doesn't exist only to return home to seeing a "pig parade" happening on the pier? Yes, it was some unveiling ceremony of different giant painted pigs, with little crowds around each one politely clapping and "oo-ing" and "aww-ing" after each was revealed. Even though my legs were killing me, I still had to watch that...

Well, have you!? ;P
Actually no, I would have if you had given me a ring. It sounds like great fun. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm short, and I was in the Louvre looking at the Mona Lisa, and I heard people laughing. I was in the very front of everyone, and I felt a light weight on my head. A Japanese tourist had set his camera on top of my head, to take a photo.

Have any of you experienced this in France?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Hah no, can't say I've had someone use my head as a camera stand! I have yet to see the Mona Lisa. I just dipped in and out of the Louvre once, didn't want to deal with too many crowds...

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hah no, can't say I've had someone use my head as a camera stand! I have yet to see the Mona Lisa. I just dipped in and out of the Louvre once, didn't want to deal with too many crowds...
You should have gone when I did, in 1955, there weren't too many crowds about then, no crocodiles of clicking Japanese, either nor that silly pyramid.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
"If I could turn back time..." Definitely I would go back to Paris in the 80s, 70s, 60s, 50s, .... 20s... 10s, 1890s and esp 1880s... But alas, the earliest I ever got myself there was 2005! Ah the disadvantages of youth, lol. At the same time, I noticed differences even between 10 years ago so I feel kind of "cool" that at least I got to see some kind of time gap.

·
Administrator
50,460 Posts
I'm short, and I was in the Louvre looking at the Mona Lisa, and I heard people laughing. I was in the very front of everyone, and I felt a light weight on my head. A Japanese tourist had set his camera on top of my head, to take a photo.

Have any of you experienced this in France?
That one may be more about the tourists than about France. Tourist behavior (including American tourists) is famous (or infamous) for stories like this.

Now, rude tourists somewhat "typical" of France: a friend of mine is Chinese by origin (from Hong Kong), married to a French man and has lived in France for a good 30 or 40 years - has French nationality and all. Whenever she goes into Paris and goes anywhere near the big designer stores, she says she is approached by Chinese "tourists" who offer her big money to go into the designer stores to make purchases for them.

It seems the designer shops know and recognize the agents for Chinese manufacturers who come to Paris to buy the latest models to take back to China and produce in knockoff version.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Well, I've just done something more French than most of the the things in the list.

Last night my French wife's son arrived for dinner, the night and breakfast. He was accompanied by his wife (both in mid 40s), their two student aged daughters and their 2 student aged boyfriends. I prepared the meals.

All very French...hot milk in bowls for breakfast, bread on the tablecloth....and even surprise that 14 juillet is not a public holiday in the UK (is it not universal?).

Vive la France....DejW

1 - 20 of 50 Posts