Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to confirm that how many cigarettes are we allowed to carry on the airplane while boarding a flight to Australia on a PR Visa ?

I was allowed 200 cigarettes in 2007-2008 when I first went on student Visa. But now Ive heard that the Rules have changed and we are only supposed to carry 50 Cigarette Sticks, irrespective of the Visa you hold.

Do share your reviews !

Cheers
Ishaan & Aanchal

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mate! You can find cigrate anywhere in australia. so no need to carry that. You can carry other things which can useful to you.
Yes you get cigarettes anywhere in Australia but Indian brands won't be available . I don't know why but I have a strong feeling that he wants to carry Classic Regular with him :rockon:

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
It is 50 cigs or 50grams of cigars, no more.

You may as well bring them and enjoy them because at more than $20 a pack it's not cheap to be a smoker in Oz.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It is 50 cigs or 50grams of cigars, no more.

You may as well bring them and enjoy them because at more than $20 a pack it's not cheap to be a smoker in Oz.
:eek: ... and I cuss the taxes when I pay USD 4.48 a pack !
If its 20 bucks a pop, roll your own I say :smokin:

·
Registered
637 Posts
A friend of mine travels to the US with about 5 cartons (1000 cig sticks) - declares it every time. If the customs officer takes deep interest, when he doesn't believe its for self consumption or for friends, then he asks him to pay about $10 duty per carton. Even if custom duties are double in Aus, and at $20 per pack, it will still work out cheaper to carry cigarettes, yea ? Do post back on whatever you end up doing :)

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
A friend of mine travels to the US with about 5 cartons (1000 cig sticks) - declares it every time. If the customs officer takes deep interest, when he doesn't believe its for self consumption or for friends, then he asks him to pay about $10 duty per carton. Even if custom duties are double in Aus, and at $20 per pack, it will still work out cheaper to carry cigarettes, yea ? Do post back on whatever you end up doing :)
According to the Customs website, your math is off. They charge $0.35731 per stick plus GST in duties. For a carton of 200 cigarettes, that would be $71.46 + $7.15 GST = $78.61 per carton.

Assuming a carton of cigarettes costs $30 at duty free in your country of origin, the effective price per pack becomes close to $11. I guess that's still cheaper than $20 but it's still not a good deal IMO.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
:eek: ... and I cuss the taxes when I pay USD 4.48 a pack !
If its 20 bucks a pop, roll your own I say :smokin:
It's ridiculous.

Even a 50g pouch is $40 these days.
And all this has changed recently, I have been gone for 5 years near enough and before I left prices were half that.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
According to the Customs website, your math is off. They charge $0.35731 per stick plus GST in duties. For a carton of 200 cigarettes, that would be $71.46 + $7.15 GST = $78.61 per carton.

Assuming a carton of cigarettes costs $30 at duty free in your country of origin, the effective price per pack becomes close to $11. I guess that's still cheaper than $20 but it's still not a good deal IMO.
Could you please share the link? :smokin::smokin:

Reactions: felix2020

·
Registered
637 Posts
Uhmm.. I was talking about the US customs. I dont have the time right now to look up the customs website for it, but since my buddy was bringing those cartons for me, I just paid him whatever the (customs) duty receipt said. Guess I got a good deal.

But from my experience traveling in to US, I think a lot of CBP officers go by their gut and if you can prove your intent is not reselling, and if you dont have an attitude, they mostly allow stuff (other than banned items like rice and seeds etc).

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Uhmm.. I was talking about the US customs. I dont have the time right now to look up the customs website for it, but since my buddy was bringing those cartons for me, I just paid him whatever the (customs) duty receipt said. Guess I got a good deal.

But from my experience traveling in to US, I think a lot of CBP officers go by their gut and if you can prove your intent is not reselling, and if you dont have an attitude, they mostly allow stuff (other than banned items like rice and seeds etc).
You didn't say you were talking about the US. In any case, for the purposes of this forum, the American experience is irrelevant...

Expect to pay the tax if you are importing cigarettes into Australia.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You didn't say you were talking about the US. In any case, for the purposes of this forum, the American experience is irrelevant...

Expect to pay the tax if you are importing cigarettes into Australia.
Annnnnnnddddd, here is where I was specifically talking about US.
If talking about my experience with importing cigarettes to US confuses you, you should ignore having read my experience. I never said you dont have to pay taxes if you are importing cigarettes into AU !

I related my experiences with importing cigarettes into another country while travelling internationally - I think this can be a little out of context for someone to understand. And yeah, I agree, I shouldn't confuse people with what my experience was while bringing in cigarettes into another country, even if it provides a fair outline of what can be expected when doing so.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Annnnnnnddddd, here is where I was specifically talking about US. If talking about my experience with importing cigarettes to US confuses you, you should ignore having read my experience. I never said you dont have to pay taxes if you are importing cigarettes into AU ! I related my experiences with importing cigarettes into another country while travelling internationally - I think this can be a little out of context for someone to understand. And yeah, I agree, I shouldn't confuse people with what my experience was while bringing in cigarettes into another country, even if it provides a fair outline of what can be expected when doing so.
Sorry I missed that but I was giving the actual duty amounts for importing cigarettes into Australia which is far more useful than your anecdotal story about someone you know paying some amount of money to import cigarettes into another country. So I don't get where the confusion is on my part or why you keep harping on about it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sorry I missed that but I was giving the actual duty amounts for importing cigarettes into Australia which is far more useful than your anecdotal story about someone you know paying some amount of money to import cigarettes into another country. So I don't get where the confusion is on my part or why you keep harping on about it.
I would have loved to read out your posts to you and show you specifically where your assumptions kick started your confusion. But I will just keep the discussion to help the OP with the information he seeks. Which, btw, the link you provided earlier duly serves.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
I would have loved to read out your posts to you and show you specifically where your assumptions kick started your confusion. But I will just keep the discussion to help the OP with the information he seeks. Which, btw, the link you provided earlier duly serves.
Again with the pointless harping. I told you I missed it - I suggest you drop it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
So if we carry even one or two packs with us, should we declare it? Or it is allowed easily?

·
Registered
113 Posts
ohh la la....this seems to have created a fight!!
chill out....time for everyone to get on to nicotine patches,,,
i got a carton on my way here...had to pay about AUD80 at the airport
cig packs cost about AUD20 here....just not feasible to smoke anymore...

trying to give up....its been more than a month for me :)

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I never got on with the patches, they made me feel weird.

The ecigs are the best replacement tool I have found but even Australia makes that difficult in making it illegal to sell the liquid because it contains nicotine.
Funny thing is though you can import as much as you like.

My country is weird, sorry about that folks.
:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts