Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
53,400 Posts
If you're going to go the web route rather than rental agencies, I hope your French is pretty good.

Not having the usual three months' worth of pay slips and/or 3 months of bank statements showing your pay being deposited may pose a challenge. The housing market in Paris is tight enough that most landlords will have their choice of potential tenants - and they're most likely to choose the one with all the usual forms of credit verification.

Can your employer help you in any way? Or, you may want to check the ads in FUSAC (English language want ad publication - often placed by expats) or consult the bulletin board at the American Church on the Quai d'Orsay, where there are ads placed by English speaking expats who may be more willing to negotiate.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
53,400 Posts
If you stick to the RER line A area, you'll be in the western suburbs of Paris. There are lots of expats out there, and it may well be possible to negotiate on the credit requirements if your landlord-to-be is an expat his- or her-self. Having your employment contract is definitely a plus. Try to get your bank account set up first thing so you can jump on an attractive apartment or house right away.

You may want to set up your temporary accommodation in the western suburbs, just to get a "feel" for the general area. It should be possible to find one or more rental agencies that have English speaking staff. (I know you don't want to deal with an agency, but if you want to find and close on a place in a week or two, it may be far easier for you in the long run.)

Take a look at PAP IMMOBILIER - Annonces immobilières | De Particulier à Particulier - PAP which is the real estate advertising paper for buying or renting directly from the owners rather than through an agency. There is some information there in English (click on the little British flag in the upper right corner). The ads are all in French, but you should be able to work out most of the key points. If you've got someone to translate or to help you with the language, it might go a bit smoother.

Don't try to do things strictly online. The photos posted on the web can be enormously misleading. You really need to see the property in person and at a few different times of day to check out the surroundings.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
53,400 Posts
If you can find a rental agency that has some English speaking agents, you may be able to get them to accept the work contract as proof of your ability to pay (combined with the fact that you have a bank account available). At least that way you have a go-between with the landlord - and the agency might be able to suggest what will work the best. (Will your employer at least give you a letter or other confirmation of your salary? That's going to be their main concern.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
53,400 Posts
Like I've said, I've never had to look for a rental here in France. My understanding is that agencies take one or two months' rent as their fee. Then there is a month's rent as the deposit on the place. When you sign the lease, you'll need to set up the direct deposit - but that's pretty straight-forward. You give the landlord or agent your RIB (i.e. bank account info) and then you have a form you have to give your bank to validate the transaction and give permission for the landlord (or whoever) to take the rent out of your account each month.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.