Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm in the process of applying for a non-lucrative visa for Spain. I've had a house out there for a few decades, but only ever used it for holidays and now looking to spend most of my time there.

Anyway - to the point! We applied for an appointment with the consulate in London on 2nd September and have and nothing back other than an auto-response. At this rate I'm nervous that, by the time they respond with an appointment, the documentation will be starting to expire and I'm more than aware that, so far, it's cost £55 for the two of us to get the medical certificate, £110 for two ACROs, £13 for a new marriage certificate, a complete debacle trying to get a ruddy savings account statement stamped...and, of course, the £150 to get the ACROs, marriage certificate and health certificates legalised! £326 so far just on the documents and seemingly with a good chance of having to pay the entire lot all over again because the Consulate aren't responding.

Has anyone applied for an appointment before September and not heard back? If the delay is caused by the Consulate themselves, do they still demand that the documents are within 90 days at the date of the appointment, or do they take some responsibility for expiration themselves and look at whether they were within 90 days when you applied for the appointment? (I have a sinking feeling I know the answer to that one...)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello there,

I sent the request on the 26th of July and still haven't heard back.
I know ppl who sent an email at the beginning of July and still nothing.
The situation is that my documents are about to expire. And a lot of ppl having the same situation, unfortunately, really hard to guess when to prepare the documents.

Thanks,
Olga

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The situation is that my documents are about to expire. And a lot of ppl having the same situation, unfortunately, really hard to guess when to prepare the documents.
Hey Olga - since posting I've heard from a Spanish immigration lawyer that their office is still waiting on responses from the Spanish Consulate in London from appointment applications made in June! The lawyer mentioned that they have no idea what's going on, they think the Consulate is overwhelmed with requests and can't cope.

I'm going to chance my arm and not renew my expiring documents for a month or so because it seems to me they've got a 3-month backlog if people as far back as late June haven't yet had a response

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Olga - since posting I've heard from a Spanish immigration lawyer that their office is still waiting on responses from the Spanish Consulate in London from appointment applications made in June! The lawyer mentioned that they have no idea what's going on, they think the Consulate is overwhelmed with requests and can't cope.

I'm going to chance my arm and not renew my expiring documents for a month or so because it seems to me they've got a 3-month backlog if people as far back as late June haven't yet had a response
Thank you for your reply, yes, I also saw posts that people who sent a request for an appointment in June still didn't hear back, and also saw the BBC article on this situation and all trouble for the students. I'm already in Spain, which will make it a bit more complicated to do documents again, and will need to fly to London for an appointment. And I read that some people get a notification saying "Your appointment is tomorrow", so let's see.

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts
Thank you for your reply, yes, I also saw posts that people who sent a request for an appointment in June still didn't hear back, and also saw the BBC article on this situation and all trouble for the students. I'm already in Spain, which will make it a bit more complicated to do documents again, and will need to fly to London for an appointment. And I read that some people get a notification saying "Your appointment is tomorrow", so let's see.
You do realise that you can only stay in Spain for a maximum of 90 days?

The consulate expects you to remain in the UK until the visa is approved (or not)

·
Registered
8 Posts
You do realise that you can only stay in Spain for a maximum of 90 days?

The consulate expects you to remain in the UK until the visa is approved (or not)
Sure thing, I know, thank you. Just staying as a tourist, counting the days haha. I had a different nationality in the past, so well aware of all the Schengen area rules.
Do you know if the the Consulate will keep the passport for the time of the visa application processing?
I could not find this information anywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

I just went through all the requirements for an appointment and awaiting the answer from the Consulate and it doesn't mention that a person needs to stay in the UK for a period while the application is being processed, I checked their official website and the PDF. Will you be able to share a link where you found that information?
Also, it seems that they will return a passport after attending an appointment if the photocopy is provided.

Thanks,
Olga

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts
Hi,

I just went through all the requirements for an appointment and awaiting the answer from the Consulate and it doesn't mention that a person needs to stay in the UK for a period while the application is being processed, I checked their official website and the PDF. Will you be able to share a link where you found that information?
Also, it seems that they will return a passport after attending an appointment if the photocopy is provided.

Thanks,
Olga
Of course you don't have to stay in the UK, but you can't move to Spain until the visa is issued. Holidays are fine.

I recently heard of a British family which has moved to Spain & put the kids into school while waiting for their visa appointments :oops:

Years ago I also met an American family which had done the same, whose visa was subsequently denied once it became clear to the consulate in the US what they had done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there,

Thanks,
Olga
Hi All
I first started to apply on the 14th June and I am still waiting
I found this on you tube which is an update on the Spanish Consulate
(297) LONDON CONSULATE - APPOINTMENT UPDATE - YouTube

This might explain what's going on

I hope this helps
Russel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All
I first started to apply on the 14th June and I am still waiting
I found this on you tube which is an update on the Spanish Consulate
(297) LONDON CONSULATE - APPOINTMENT UPDATE - YouTube

This might explain what's going on

I hope this helps
Russel
Yup, I've just had an email from my solicitor on this one - each applicant needing to apply separately and directly (no longer accepting appointments booked through 3rd parties like solicitors) and you have to attach your ACRO with the apostle stamp and sworn translation. I wonder if applying separately is going to mean separate appointment fees.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am applying for an autonomo and my Spanish solicitors have said I have to get an apostllie for my diploma. Has anyone else had to do this? Which solictors in England did you use and what is the cost?
I have been quoted £309 even though the actual apostille part is only about £30 online
Any advise greatly received

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts
I am applying for an autonomo and my Spanish solicitors have said I have to get an apostllie for my diploma. Has anyone else had to do this? Which solictors in England did you use and what is the cost?
I have been quoted £309 even though the actual apostille part is only about £30 online
Any advise greatly received
Use the UK govt service directly. There's no need to use a lawyer or any other service for an apostile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts