Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently in Prague, Czech Republic, and are looking to move to Athens. We were wondering what would be the best way to go about finding an apartment. We did apartment sharing to start here, and we absolutely hated it (only met the people upon arrival), it would be ideal for us to pick out a place of our own to start with.

How likely is it that we could go to Athens, stay in a hostel for a couple of days and find an apartment to move into ASAP? Do they require a certain amount of time for paperwork? Are there income/employment requirements?

Or, is it possible to line up an apartment before arriving there? Any suggestions for areas to avoid, or good expat neighborhoods to look for?

Any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention we also have a small dog. Are pets commonly accepted in apartments? Are there extra fees for having a pet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I would say most likely! I agree with you that it’s definitely better to find an apartment upon arrival. Usually when an apartment is for rent the landlord puts up an advertisement at the main entrance, so you could just take a walk around the area you want to live in and look for these adds. They are everywhere. Another way is to register with a few of the thousands estate agents. I think they usually charge a half or a hole months rent. Then of course you will find many advertisements in the newspapers. There is not much paperwork except of signing the contract and pay a months rent in deposit, some want two.

Regarding your dog, I don’t think you will have a big problem with that. Dogs are common pets here in Greece and there are no extra fees.

Good luck and welcome to Greece!

Tina

·
Registered
3 Posts
And by the way... if you want to get an idea of prices and areas have a look at....

aggeliopolis.gr/attici?ca=9_s&md=th&q=&cg=1020&w=1&st=u&mre=&ros=&roe=&ss=&se=

·
Registered
3 Posts
And by the way... if you want to get an idea of prices and areas have a look at....

aggeliopolis.gr/attici?ca=9_s&md=th&q=&cg=1020&w=1&st=u&mre=&ros=&roe=&ss=&se=
I forgot to tell you that you need to put www in front of the link, but you probably would figure that out on your own. It’s a link where you can buy/sell things and I have chosen Athens and Rental. So everything you see is for rent in Athens, just if you want to get an idea of prices and areas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts