Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband re-applied for his UK Spouse Visa in July. The travel date we gave with accompanying itinerary and reservations was September 13 and obv that has passed.

Does anyone know how the new Visa start date will be calculated?

We expect to receive the email notification within the next 2 weeks and, assuming the application was successful, would like to have an idea of when we might be travelling to UK.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks OrganisedChaos. Since the application is being processed in the Rio De Janeiro UKBA and the passport needs to be sent back to Buenos Aires embassy to be collected, do you think they will add in a week or so for that or might these lost days already start to count as days spent outside the UK?

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Thanks OrganisedChaos. Since the application is being processed in the Rio De Janeiro UKBA and the passport needs to be sent back to Buenos Aires embassy to be collected, do you think they will add in a week or so for that or might these lost days already start to count as days spent outside the UK?
If and when the application is approved that will be the start date. There won't be any extra days added for posting to another embassy. I don't understand what you mean by: "lost days already start to count as days spent outside the UK?" You have to actually enter the UK on your visa before you start worrying about days spent outside of the UK.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought there was a problem if you didn't enter the UK immediately. It happened to me in 2009 when my husband had a spouse visa issued. We were held up for several months abroad and advised that it would mean that we hadn't fulfilled the requisite 270 days in the country per annum as the visa was active from the stamp date. Has this changed or was I misinformed?

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
I thought there was a problem if you didn't enter the UK immediately. It happened to me in 2009 when my husband had a spouse visa issued. We were held up for several months abroad and advised that it would mean that we hadn't fulfilled the requisite 270 days in the country per annum as the visa was active from the stamp date. Has this changed or was I misinformed?

You can enter the UK anytime from the valid from to the valid to date. What you were told is nonsense. A spouse visa is issued for 33 months. That gives you 3 months to get organised and move. As long as you get to the UK with 30 months left on your visa you will be on track to renew your visa for another 2.5 years and after 5 years you'll be eligible for ILR.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Under the pre-2012 rules, your initial visa was valid for 27 months - 24 months you need to be in UK plus 3 months to organise your travel to UK. Provided you entered UK within the first 3 months of 'valid from' date, you had enough validity left to be able to apply for settlement at the end of it (minus 28 days).

270 days relate to requirement for naturalisation - the next step from settlement - where you must have been absent from UK no more than 270 days during the past 3 years (when married to a Briton).
UK Border Agency | Requirements for naturalisation if you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen

I think you got the two mixed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.