Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to look at an overview of job market in Australia. Kindly post your experience of job search after coming in OZ. This will surely help new expat members to plan their travel accordingly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey

Hi

I have moved to Sydney in July 15' and I am searching for a job from like 15-20 days. No luck yet. Not even a single call even if I write each and everything that required in the job opening. Seems job market is pretty dull here for IT. I have heard from people around. Not sure how things will go further.. wish you all the best with your job search.

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi

I have moved to Sydney in July 15' and I am searching for a job from like 15-20 days. No luck yet. Not even a single call even if I write each and everything that required in the job opening. Seems job market is pretty dull here for IT. I have heard from people around. Not sure how things will go further.. wish you all the best with your job search.

Thanks
How is the market in Melbourne? Any idea..

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi

Thanks
Hope you get your job soon!

Can you share your domain, background, years of experience (relevant), technologies you work on etc. so that others can make an informed opinion? Your comment is a bit generalized, I must say.

I personally know of at least more than a dozen folks who got a job in 1-3 months of their job search start date and I know their skill set and level of expertise. In my opinion, the job challenges are more or less the same everywhere but with the right skill set, a bit of luck and foremost VERY GOOD COMMUNICATION SKILLS (especially for Aussie market & considering we're expats), you can definitely get that coveted break in a 3-4 months time frame. This is my take - others are most welcome to differ if they want to.

Unfortunately, the ones who succeed do not make much noises if not at least to motivate others.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Atlassian (rated the best technology company to work for in Australia) founder says 25% of their workforce in Sydney is brought over from overseas on 457 visas as they don't seem to find the required talent locally:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Atlassian (rated the best technology company to work for in Australia) founder says 25% of their workforce in Sydney is brought over from overseas on 457 visas as they don't seem to find the required talent locally:
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ojV6ZokECc
Lolzz...not sure if companies bring people on 457 visas because of shortage of workforce.457 visa is a big scam to bring cheap and temporary labour in oz.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Lolzz...not sure if companies bring people on 457 visas because of shortage of workforce.457 visa is a big scam to bring cheap and temporary labour in oz.
Don't know how it is a scam. On whatever visa they brings the workforce, they have to pay atleast the minimum wage. If there are many unemployed people looking for job then they won't mind to work on minimum wage and that's what we keep hearing on these forums i.e Job market is not good and many people are trying hard to find a job even with PR.

One of my friend who went on PR took 6 months to secure a job and that too almost near to minimum salary(He was working with Infosys previously).
There could be shortage of skills but still companies are not dying to compromise on their what so called LOCAL Experience which actually I feel is communication skills and little knowledge about culture.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Don't know how it is a scam. On whatever visa they brings the workforce, they have to pay atleast the minimum wage. If there are many unemployed people looking for job then they won't mind to work on minimum wage and that's what we keep hearing on these forums i.e Job market is not good and many people are trying hard to find a job even with PR.

One of my friend who went on PR took 6 months to secure a job and that too almost near to minimum salary(He was working with Infosys previously).
There could be shortage of skills but still companies are not dying to compromise on their what so called LOCAL Experience which actually I feel is communication skills and little knowledge about culture.
Alright....so here how it works!! Most of the 457 visa holders at deployed onsite for short span for 3-6 months. So most of the time they work on project offshore and they only get their home salary.

In OZ short term contract salary is much higher than full time job so its cost effective for employers to hire on 457 for contractual jobs.

Its easy to bully/exploit 457 visa holders as they can't raise voice against anything as employers have full control on their stay.

Most OZ companies dont directly hire people on 457. They get them through third party. Infosys,TCS,TechM are all 3rd parties.

It gives more flexibility and control to employers than PR or citizens.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I too have heard this about Indian companies. "Body shopping" as it is commonly known in the IT circle. Pay them their base Indian salary and some onsite allowance for working abroad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts