Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What a difference a couple of weeks makes. It's warm sunny, light evenings and just downright pleasant. There's no rain the forecast and the garden is bursting out with new growth.

Life doesn't get .........

·
Administrator
51,637 Posts
The only complaint is that we've had very little rain so far this year. And the garden is going to start complaining real soon. (According to our rain guage - only 53mm since January 1st.)

But for the moment, I'll take the sun and the lovely mild temperatures! I can hang the wash out to dry (yeah, yeah, I know) and the asparagus should be coming up soon - so loads of lovely white asparagus with hollandaise sauce until mid-June!

We had a lovely outing in the camper this past weekend - to Saint Fargeau in Burgundy.

Yes, life is good. (Though by next week, I'll be doing my rain dance.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only complaint is that we've had very little rain so far this year. Bev
I think that is going to be the story of 2012 - I well remember 1976 in England when we had a house built - it never rained from April (foundations) to August (roof on). That house had NO shrinkage problems but man the garden was a pain to work :(

Cheers

·
Registered
594 Posts
It will be dry, extra dry as never before. Water reserves are not replenished. It is a nightmare. think about moving to higher grounds before it is to late...

As for me I save water everyday, I drink wine.

·
Administrator
51,637 Posts
I think that is going to be the story of 2012 - I well remember 1976 in England when we had a house built - it never rained from April (foundations) to August (roof on). That house had NO shrinkage problems but man the garden was a pain to work :(

Cheers
Last year was bad enough - IIRC we had basically no rain during the whole month of April and only a little in May. Normally those months are fairly rainy so plants got off to a rather parched start.

We're already running a couple of years of deficit as far as rains are concerned.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last year was bad enough - IIRC we had basically no rain during the whole month of April and only a little in May. Normally those months are fairly rainy so plants got off to a rather parched start.

We're already running a couple of years of deficit as far as rains are concerned.
Cheers,
Bev
I was just told that we are on amber alert for drought - whatever that actually means :confused:

Cheers

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
O you lucky people :)

Here am dealing with the aftermath of the big freeze/thaw - ca. 4000E-worth of remedial work estimated so far, so STILL can't get down to Corsica where I should already have been for a couple of months.

Have just got the leccy bills in: 425E for here for 2 months (even without hot water/washing machine/dishwasher); 300E for 6 months in Corsica. Am pretty sure water bills are going to be outrageous too even tho' I had none for 5 weeks. Would love to be able to sue the perpetrator but God doesn't have a sue-able address for an injunction to be delivered.

Upside is that the mill-race and stream are still flowing (one could have imagined straight through my cellar when the pipes thawed!!!), and in the 10 years we've been here, even during the 2003 heatwave, we haven't seen it dry up. But, who knows?

btw Bev, am impressed you're cultivating asparagus - notoriously difficult - good going :)

But I do agree, it's nice to see blue blue skies again.

H

·
Administrator
51,637 Posts
Hils, I was just thinking about you and your recovery from the winter cold the other day.

We've had pretty good luck with the asparagus for quite some time now. They sell 3 year old roots that you plant, and then you wait 3 years for them to produce. It also helps that we have plenty of, um, organic fertilizer, in the form of donkey poop based compost.

Our little old farmer neighbor, however, died at the end of November, and he has quite a bit of asparagus in his part of the garden. We've got the ok from his kids to continue to use our part of "his" garden (no one is entirely sure who owns the piece of land), but I'm not sure how much of the asparagus the kids are going to want.

Actually, there is only one of his kids living in the area and he has said he'll be gardening in his father's section this year - but we haven't seen a trace of him yet. (His Dad would have been out here bugging my husband to start tilling by now!)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
661 Posts
Not familiar with gribiche sauce. (Will have to ask DH, who does most of the cooking.)
Cheers,
Bev
I was always having my asparagus with the "hollandaise" until I discovered the "gribiche". It is often served with meat I couldn't eat even before I became a vegetarian :)yuck:tête de veau yuck).
There are probably plenty of way to make it. Here is how I prepare mine.

I boil hard one egg then squash it with a fork. In a bowl, I mix the egg, some capers some pickles (I use cornichon) shallots, parsley (and tarragon when I have some) and olive oil. In a small saucepan I warm mustard and vinegar (probably one TBS each) and pour it on top of the other ingredients.

I find it tasting very old fashion French cuisine. I feel like travelling back to the XIXth century somehow. I think you can taste it after having spent quite some time in France. Someone who just made the move might find it really awkward.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I was always having my asparagus with the "hollandaise" until I discovered the "gribiche". It is often served with meat I couldn't eat even before I became a vegetarian :)yuck:tête de veau yuck).
There are probably plenty of way to make it. Here is how I prepare mine.

I boil hard one egg then squash it with a fork. In a bowl, I mix the egg, some capers some pickles (I use cornichon) shallots, parsley (and tarragon when I have some) and olive oil. In a small saucepan I warm mustard and vinegar (probably one TBS each) and pour it on top of the other ingredients.

I find it tasting very old fashion French cuisine. I feel like travelling back to the XIXth century somehow. I think you can taste it after having spent quite some time in France. Someone who just made the move might find it really awkward.
sorry but I can't think of anything more yucky; what's wrong with just very simple melted butter to let the asparagus do its job?

H

·
Administrator
51,637 Posts
Oh, that sounds like the sauce my husband made one time - for some sort of meat dish. I'm not wild about it, I must admit.

We also make asparagus soup with the "excess" - lovely stuff, that. I also like cold (cooked) asparagus in salads.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.