Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that our visa process is underway (though still at the beginning), I slowly have to start thinking about getting a job from Australia. If everything goes well, we'll be there in a year so I'm not about to start sending out applications quite yet, but I was wondering:

1) I assume it's of no use to even apply for anything before the visa is granted. Would this be correct?

2) Is it realistic to even try to get a job while still abroad? Or during a 1-2 month survey trip?

3) I see the R-word (talks about the possibility of an imminent recession) has reached the Australian newspapers lately, too, so how tough would you predict the job market (ICT in Victoria, to be more specific) will get in a years time? A nice and easy question, I know ;)

As said, I'm in ICT with Victoria sponsorship so supposedly my occupation is in demand.. but I'd of course like to avoid the situation of shipping out with no idea of a job waiting.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Now that our visa process is underway (though still at the beginning), I slowly have to start thinking about getting a job from Australia. If everything goes well, we'll be there in a year so I'm not about to start sending out applications quite yet, but I was wondering:

1) I assume it's of no use to even apply for anything before the visa is granted. Would this be correct?
Yes most companies won't consider you unless you already have a visa or your skill is sooooo in demand that they will sponsor you themselves.
2) Is it realistic to even try to get a job while still abroad? Or during a 1-2 month survey trip?
We didn't do that but as I said with the reply to 1) I doubt that you'd get anywhere. You could save the airfare and set that aside to keep you going if you come out here without a job.

3) I see the R-word (talks about the possibility of an imminent recession) has reached the Australian newspapers lately, too, so how tough would you predict the job market (ICT in Victoria, to be more specific) will get in a years time? A nice and easy question, I know ;)

As said, I'm in ICT with Victoria sponsorship so supposedly my occupation is in demand.. but I'd of course like to avoid the situation of shipping out with no idea of a job waiting.
The R word sells papers. If people believe that there will be a recession then they will act accordingly and a recession will start. I haven't been keeping up with things since I was away in the last week but personally I would never ever rely on one form of income ever again. I had my own personal recession some years ago when I couldn't get an IT contract or any sort of work (and I mean any sort of work through agencies for anything since I was either over or under qualified). That's what got me into property investing, shares etc.
I've really no idea what the job market will be a in a years time....

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do know of people who have got jobs before coming out. It's not usually the case though, most won't take any notice until you step into the country.

Having said that, there's nothing stopping you going on a site such as Seek and applying for jobs, see how you get on !

·
Registered
194 Posts
Can someone tell me what papers need to be submitted or prepared, or any criteria that the company has to fulfil in order to sponsor an employee's Visa?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.