Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I specialize in the Insurance domain (ICT BA) and have an experience of 10+ years in India (a year in the UK). I already earn the equivalent of USD 50,000 in India.
I wanted to know how good the prospects are for someone like me in Sydney/ Melbourne- I don't think any other place is good enough for IT jobs in general. Also, looking at the various posts, it looks like any salary of <AUD 90,000 will not be worth the while financially. We are a family of 3. What do you think I can expect in terms of Salary there? Will I be able to land a job quickly?
Do let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Bangalg,

Nice to see that you have applied for 175 already.

Getting a job in sydney is sheer luck. some get early and some take time. Indian IT companies pay around 120K for a BA profile i,e if you have a PR (175 or similar) else they will go below 90. Its a safe option as you will an australia employee and will have only 1 month notice. You may get upto to 150k also.

But if really want to make money you need to go for contracting which pays you around 700-1000AUD per day but no job security.

Most important, australian companies generally ask for aussie exp. they are fussy about it. consulants try to ignore you if you dont have aussie exp.

In AUS every decent english speaking person with some communication skills becomes a BA. even some of team assistants become BA's. Sad but true. So our chances become tough. Here relationships/connections matter more than skills.

Tax in aus is higher. for some bands 180k plus will attract 47.5% tax. 80k plus attracts 37.5% tax. You will need private insurance. medicare will not help much.

cost of living is atleast 3 times that of india.

e.g. McDonald burger meal will cost you around 6-9AUD and india the same thing costs 60-100 rupees (i think chicken maharaja meal is around 90)

Petrol is lesser cost than india :clap2::D

I still feel you should try for a few years here and then decide.

Also if you wife is working then the net savings increase.

I am also a BA (banking) with an indian company but waiting to get out of it.

Hi,
I specialize in the Insurance domain (ICT BA) and have an experience of 10+ years in India (a year in the UK). I already earn the equivalent of USD 50,000 in India.
I wanted to know how good the prospects are for someone like me in Sydney/ Melbourne- I don't think any other place is good enough for IT jobs in general. Also, looking at the various posts, it looks like any salary of <AUD 90,000 will not be worth the while financially. We are a family of 3. What do you think I can expect in terms of Salary there? Will I be able to land a job quickly?
Do let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sandylewis,

That is such a useful post-reply from you. Thank you so much. In fact, your reply gives me hope!
I have been speaking to a couple of BAs who went to australia through wipro/ TCS. They told me two things:

A. Aussies have begun to embrace outsourcing in the recent past resulting in many Indian IT companies aggressively pitching for and winning deals

B. because of A. above, it is increasingly becoming difficult for freelance contractors in australia to find work. BAs who were otherwise working under contract are being terminated because Aussie Banks are sourcing their onsite (mostly) and offshore BA requirements from Indian IT companies.

What's your opinion, in general, on the above? Also, since it is so easy for a company like TCS to sponsor 100s of visas and send them to Australia, why would TCS look at us? Won't they have a better hold on employees who they send from India? You are right about the Aussie employers. We might as well not look at it as a possible option.

Hey- also, don't you think you are at risk of July 1 sol changes? Will you not be better off taking VIC SS and then going for 176 so that, hopefully, your processing is through by July 1?

Sorry for sending so many thoughts in one go....

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
202 Posts
sandylewis said:
Hi Bangalg,

Nice to see that you have applied for 175 already.

Getting a job in sydney is sheer luck. some get early and some take time. Indian IT companies pay around 120K for a BA profile i,e if you have a PR (175 or similar) else they will go below 90. Its a safe option as you will an australia employee and will have only 1 month notice. You may get upto to 150k also.

But if really want to make money you need to go for contracting which pays you around 700-1000AUD per day but no job security.

Most important, australian companies generally ask for aussie exp. they are fussy about it. consulants try to ignore you if you dont have aussie exp.

In AUS every decent english speaking person with some communication skills becomes a BA. even some of team assistants become BA's. Sad but true. So our chances become tough. Here relationships/connections matter more than skills.

Tax in aus is higher. for some bands 180k plus will attract 47.5% tax. 80k plus attracts 37.5% tax. You will need private insurance. medicare will not help much.

cost of living is atleast 3 times that of india.

e.g. McDonald burger meal will cost you around 6-9AUD and india the same thing costs 60-100 rupees (i think chicken maharaja meal is around 90)

Petrol is lesser cost than india :clap2::D

I still feel you should try for a few years here and then decide.

Also if you wife is working then the net savings increase.

I am also a BA (banking) with an indian company but waiting to get out of it.
sandylewis, I smell infy ........ :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
nope but something similar. all indian services companies are the same. my first stint with them anyway.

sandylewis, I smell infy ........ :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Answe for B - Nope. There are a lot of contracting jobs. Employers here prefer australian people PR or citizens. For companies they have to give 4 weeks notice and they dont charge low rate. max 100 AUD diff in billing. Outsourcing is still a hot topic here and it is very sensitive. So not easy for companies to win deals here. Yeah infy n TCS have got a few but very less for BA roles in aus. people here need australian folks for business analysis. So we still have a lot of chances. Managers in banks dont prefer BA's coming from offshore. union issues etc.

Also it is a total freelance. companies hires people through agents rather than direct contracting. agents charge around 20-30%. Even infy tcs wipro stayam hire people from these agents at times.

About indian companies getting people from india, its not as easy as it looks. definetly salaries are low for people coming from india but they will have to answer to the government if they dont hire locals. Companies have to advertise the jobs here in aus and if they dont find they can get people form india. it takes around 4-8 weeks to get 457. clients wont wait for long.

Also if indian companies get aus citizens or pr's, it will become easy for them to highlight it to clients and also to aus gov. so its all in the number game. also aus exp is important for a BA. But yeah the rates are falling but thatz because of europe slowing down.

This may not be true for other IT professions.

DOnt completely stop looking at aussie employers but chances are less but if you manange one dont let go. they will treat you better than indian companies. I know it as i worked for MNC's n now for indian company but mananged by client.

Looking at the numbers i feel i'll get my PR before July 1st or atleast CO allocation. So no worries. Also i dont think diac will move us to category 5 if occupation is removed.

sydney is the best chance to get a job rather than melb. purely my belief. so its better to have a free visa. no garuntee on state sponsorship. anyway my 457 will keep me here for another couple of yrs. you know indian companies right. all you need is a visa and not skills.

Hi Sandylewis,

That is such a useful post-reply from you. Thank you so much. In fact, your reply gives me hope!
I have been speaking to a couple of BAs who went to australia through wipro/ TCS. They told me two things:

A. Aussies have begun to embrace outsourcing in the recent past resulting in many Indian IT companies aggressively pitching for and winning deals

B. because of A. above, it is increasingly becoming difficult for freelance contractors in australia to find work. BAs who were otherwise working under contract are being terminated because Aussie Banks are sourcing their onsite (mostly) and offshore BA requirements from Indian IT companies.

What's your opinion, in general, on the above? Also, since it is so easy for a company like TCS to sponsor 100s of visas and send them to Australia, why would TCS look at us? Won't they have a better hold on employees who they send from India? You are right about the Aussie employers. We might as well not look at it as a possible option.

Hey- also, don't you think you are at risk of July 1 sol changes? Will you not be better off taking VIC SS and then going for 176 so that, hopefully, your processing is through by July 1?

Sorry for sending so many thoughts in one go....

Reactions: bangalg

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
they hire you because you have the visa already and they do not really have to spend heaps on the visa, there are a lot of long term temp position, the pay rate is good, if you start afresh you get about 75-80 to start with but within 6 months most people change to get to a better paying job with better salary, someone known to me started at 104k and in 2 months got another offer for 140k, for some it is pure luck, for some it is hard work and for some it is sad luck and absence of common sense.

almost everyone goes to sydney, a few come to melbourne and the rest go to brisbane, perth etc. Jobs are there everywhere, to an extent inside connections work as a lot of openings are not even advertised but in many cases networking through business networking sites worked.

we too were earning more or less the same amount as you, had a decent living standard back in India, initial thought was crazy, the first question that comes on everyones mind is, why did i move here, what was wrong with me but eventually you realise life is good here, it was all worth it. and then you get a job, you start settling in and everything falls in place. dont compare your Bangalore life with that here, you wont like it, takes a year and half to settle after that no looking back. we came here 10 months back, still settling in.

Reactions: bangalg

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a great note, Anj! Thanks.
Do you think age matters in the Aussie job scenario. I know... they explicitly state that there is no age discrimination, etc... but do you think what would happen if say there is a job opening for salary of AUD 100K but expecting 5 yrs of BA experience and I apply for that with an experience of 10-12 yrs experience... will they use the politically correct "overqualified" word to reject my application? Of course, I do understand they can explicitly reject me legally by saying "I do not have aussie experience".

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Sandylewis,
Thanks again! And I now realise that you are already over there... no wonder you expect your application to be processed by July 1 (onshore applications) under 175. I value your comments even more because you have a first hand experience of the goings-on.
As I said, you give me hope!
Although I am comfortable here... I want to move for various reasons... basically to get out of the 'outsourcing' world.

·
Registered
68 Posts
175 is not onshore. it is offshore category. It is something to do with electronic passport etc. So no preference. but people who applied in oct 2011 have got CO already and hence deduced that i will get CO by Jul 1st. (Look at the tread "Priority 3 (Now priority 4)"). You'll find useful info there on timeliness.

I think we discussed this on some other tread when i applied in feb. You went the vic state sponsorship way and me towards 175.

The best part of aus is that outsourcing has just started and loads of jobs are still here. Looks like there will restrictions on number of immigrants from next year and i am sure there will be some restrictions on 457 as well.

Good luck for your state sponsorship and 175 as well.:clap2:

Hi Sandylewis,
Thanks again! And I now realise that you are already over there... no wonder you expect your application to be processed by July 1 (onshore applications) under 175. I value your comments even more because you have a first hand experience of the goings-on.
As I said, you give me hope!
Although I am comfortable here... I want to move for various reasons... basically to get out of the 'outsourcing' world.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
no age does not matter, good thing here is that people change their field of work at any age, they study at any age and then move on. I know people who are in 50's, were working in admin, did a course and are now in IT field. another someone who is in 40's, doing PHd currently and wants to start teaching once he finishes. If the job requires min 4 years of experience and you have 10, your covering letter can get you that job if you explain why you want to start with the XYZ company and how your experience will benefit the organisation etc etc

·
Registered
630 Posts
Personally im against outsourcing, from my experiences it only does more harm than good. Its a good idea but the companies behind it and the way they run things have destroyed the IT industry in many economies. Yes there are major benefits in terms of cost savings but it usually ends there. The only people who benefit r few Indian or Chinese outsourcing companies who majorly abuse their employees, undercut markets and don't contribute much to their economy. I've seen firsthand outsourcing destroy jobs and salary rates for IT Professionals in places like the USA & Dubai.

I remember back in the days a good Sys Admin could easily rake in $7000+ USD / Month , but now no more than 4000 USD/month or so and if you don't like it companies will simply outsource your job.

I'm glad australia is resisting outsourcing (i hope it stays that way) but i fear they will cave in eventually.

Reactions: stormgal

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes. I now recollect we did exchange opinions then. I hope your application reaches the final stage by July 1. From what i see, the current lead-time to get CO allocated for 175 category is 5.5 months. So you may just about get a CO by July 1. I think I will most certainly not be getting a CO by then unless they start fast tracking the pipeline cases before the change. But I have also read some posts of previous year where an application was pushed to category 5 even after the CO was allocated when the applicant's occupation came off the SOL list. So I think the best bet for us ( more so for me) is to hope that ICT BA stays on the SOL. Why do you think diac will not move us to cat 5 even if ICT BA goes off the list? Is that just a hunch?

I may get VIC SS any day now. If I do get it and if I apply under 176, then I won't have to worry about July 1 changes as the whole process will be completed by then for 176. But then I have to shell out another AUD 3k which hurts. Also, from what you guys say, Melbourne solely may not be a great bet for job hunting. Dilemma! I think it ultimately boils down to how desperate I am!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think I read somewhere that when some occupation codes were dropped from sol in 2010, existing applicants were not moved to category 5. I am not entirely sure though.

From the other thread what I see is that oct applicants are getting CO and may be nov applicants will follow soon. I hope the process speeds up. I am 175 feb applicant and I have nominated ICT BA as occupation. I don't have ss lined up so I really need this to work out. Pray that the occupation code stays on the SOL. Solves so many people's problem.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Personally im against outsourcing, from my experiences it only does more harm than good. Its a good idea but the companies behind it and the way they run things have destroyed the IT industry in many economies. Yes there are major benefits in terms of cost savings but it usually ends there. The only people who benefit r few Indian or Chinese outsourcing companies who majorly abuse their employees, undercut markets and don't contribute much to their economy. I've seen firsthand outsourcing destroy jobs and salary rates for IT Professionals in places like the USA & Dubai.

I remember back in the days a good Sys Admin could easily rake in $7000+ USD / Month , but now no more than 4000 USD/month or so and if you don't like it companies will simply outsource your job.

I'm glad australia is resisting outsourcing (i hope it stays that way) but i fear they will cave in eventually.

Unfortunately, IT is not the only thing they outsource these days, but entire factories and anything that has to do with manufacturing - a costly mistake on behalf of the country doing the outsourcing. Even working in an automobile assembly line used to be a very good job that paid just as much as any "white collar" job. Not anymore ...

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Bangalg, whoever told you Melbourne is not good for jobs is wrong, no offense but I am very much following the job market here adn I know it is not bad, for IT field specifically, I have been around for 10 months and I know people who went to sydney first, took them 6 months of crazy interviewing, job hunting and lots of rejections to realise Sydney is not for them, came to Melbourne and had a job in less than a month.

·
Registered
68 Posts
About Cat5 its just my guess. BA roles are very much needed in aus. All development n testing is going offshore but the requirements phase wont go offshore easily. So i felt it wont go off SOL. Also from now on it is expression of interest. They will get only 'x' numbers of BA's every 3 months. so i dont think they will move an occupation off the list but it may be zero BA's for 6 months etc.

As for the dates i think DIAC is moving fast. they cleared applications of from 22hun to aug 09 within 15 days and also people in oct have got CO's allocated. I have front loaded PCC as well as medicals. So from my calculations i will get CO in June. Hope the same for you. I have a feeling that cat 5 will also be cleared before the EOI scheme for PR starts.

Yes. I now recollect we did exchange opinions then. I hope your application reaches the final stage by July 1. From what i see, the current lead-time to get CO allocated for 175 category is 5.5 months. So you may just about get a CO by July 1. I think I will most certainly not be getting a CO by then unless they start fast tracking the pipeline cases before the change. But I have also read some posts of previous year where an application was pushed to category 5 even after the CO was allocated when the applicant's occupation came off the SOL list. So I think the best bet for us ( more so for me) is to hope that ICT BA stays on the SOL. Why do you think diac will not move us to cat 5 even if ICT BA goes off the list? Is that just a hunch?

I may get VIC SS any day now. If I do get it and if I apply under 176, then I won't have to worry about July 1 changes as the whole process will be completed by then for 176. But then I have to shell out another AUD 3k which hurts. Also, from what you guys say, Melbourne solely may not be a great bet for job hunting. Dilemma! I think it ultimately boils down to how desperate I am!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Anj1976- thanks for the input on Melbourne. Great if mel is equally good if not better than syd.

Sandylewis- what you say makes sense. ICT BA may not be taken off SOL coz they can retain it on the list but still regulate the inflow of BAs. Brilliant strategy of diac I would say! On the same lines, and because of this flexibility the new system offers to diac, I think they may not take many professions off the list unless that profession very clearly has excess supply- and I think everyone agrees that ICT is not one of them.

Sanjukta- I am quite clear from my research that in the past years a CO allocation has not granted an application immunity from being relegated to cat5 when the Applicant's profession went off the SOL list. But from the discussion on this thread, I think we can safely infer that ICT BA may not be taken off. Your 175 should be safe. Yours and Sandylewis dates are quite close to each other! Are you too already in Aus as well? Sandy is in Aus.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am in USA.

·
Registered
134 Posts
About Cat5 its just my guess. BA roles are very much needed in aus. All development n testing is going offshore but the requirements phase wont go offshore easily. So i felt it wont go off SOL. Also from now on it is expression of interest. They will get only 'x' numbers of BA's every 3 months. so i dont think they will move an occupation off the list but it may be zero BA's for 6 months etc.

As for the dates i think DIAC is moving fast. they cleared applications of from 22hun to aug 09 within 15 days and also people in oct have got CO's allocated. I have front loaded PCC as well as medicals. So from my calculations i will get CO in June. Hope the same for you. I have a feeling that cat 5 will also be cleared before the EOI scheme for PR starts.
@ sandylewis
I am planning to get my medicals done next month although I do not have a CO assigned. I loged my 175 application in Feb 2012. Was your medical report uploaded online or sent through mail? What documents are required to be produced in the medical center for the medical examination since I do not have a CO assigned. I spoke to one of the medicals centers here and they only send reports to Sydney through mail. Do you know how lengthy the process is incase the reports are being sent my mail? Any other information that you think is important for medicals please let me know. Thanks a lot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.