Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've done B.E. Computer Science. However, the college I did it from is not recognized by AICTE and further more, it stopped offering Degree courses from 2009 and now offers only Diploma courses. When I see the course structure of the B.E. courses offered in many Australian universities and also when I tally the rules related to a degree being considered as ICT Major, I think as per my course structure, my degree should be considered as ICT Major. So here are the questions:

1) Will ACS send a -ve assessment of the education as it is not approved by AICTE? I see on their website that the degree earned outside Australia should be equivalent to the AQF. As I said, as per my analysis (which might be different than ACS), it is at par. But will not having the AICTE recognition hamper my chances here? Also, remember, my college does not offer degree courses now since 2009, only diploma. Does that matter?

2) If I get a +ve assessment from ACS for my education, can DIAC still override their decision as the college is not recognized by AICTE? I'm asking this because I would like to claim 15 points for education.

3) I have 8 years of experience. So in case their are chances of my education being assessed as -ve, I've an option to either go for a vendor certificate (I would prefer Oracle Certified Master in Java Development) or appear for RPL. What do you think is a better option?

Thanks all for your time and effort!
Ankit

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi Ankit,

I am also in same situation as yours but i have recognized AICTE diploma and Not Reconginzed PG-MCA and i did got negative assessment when i applied using this qualification.

So here are my suggestions on each point.

1) Will ACS send a -ve assessment of the education as it is not approved by AICTE? I see on their website that the degree earned outside Australia should be equivalent to the AQF. As I said, as per my analysis (which might be different than ACS), it is at par. But will not having the AICTE recognition hamper my chances here? Also, remember, my college does not offer degree courses now since 2009, only diploma. Does that matter?--- Yes it does and it will be checked if is the qualification is really recognized in the country of not, in this case if you apply using this then you will surely get negative assessment.

2) If I get a +ve assessment from ACS for my education, can DIAC still override their decision as the college is not recognized by AICTE? I'm asking this because I would like to claim 15 points for education.- Cant happen as you will not get positive assessment for this qualification.

3) I have 8 years of experience. So in case their are chances of my education being assessed as -ve, I've an option to either go for a vendor certificate (I would prefer Oracle Certified Master in Java Development) or appear for RPL. What do you think is a better option?- RPL is the only option for you but have you done any diploma prior to your bachelors ,if yes and if its ICT Major or Minor please just apply directly.

Thanks all for your time and effort!

·
Registered
269 Posts
And Oracle Certified Master in Java Development is only applicable if you have prior certifications i am also working as Sr Java Developer. i believe RPL is the only option but remember they will deduct your 6 years of exp by default.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
hi

And Oracle Certified Master in Java Development is only applicable if you have prior certifications i am also working as Sr Java Developer. i believe RPL is the only option but remember they will deduct your 6 years of exp by default.
And Oracle Certified Master in Java Development is only applicable if you have prior certifications i am also working as Sr Java Developer.

What kind of earlier certifications?

i believe RPL is the only option but remember they will deduct your 6 years of exp by default.

Deduct 6 years of experience? I did not find this information anywhere on the ACS website. So why is that? If they deduct 6 years of my experience, I'll have no points at all ... Are you sure this is the case?

And yes, I don't have a diploma. But I saw on the ACS website that if you don't have any tertiary education, you can still do RPL.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi Ankit,

Yes from 15-Apr-2013 rules of ACS Skills Assessment has been changed which means even if someone has ICT Major Degree and 4 years of exp, ACS will deduct 2 years as they will mention your 'skilled' employment starts after 2 years of exp.

In your case , 8 years is the criteria for Applying ACS using RPL and then they will deduct 8 years by default as from that day they will consider your employment as 'skilled employment'

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ankit,

Yes from 15-Apr-2013 rules of ACS Skills Assessment has been changed which means even if someone has ICT Major Degree and 4 years of exp, ACS will deduct 2 years as they will mention your 'skilled' employment starts after 2 years of exp.

In your case , 8 years is the criteria for Applying ACS using RPL and then they will deduct 8 years by default as from that day they will consider your employment as 'skilled employment'

Hope this helps.
So do you mean that someone who did his ICT Major degree can claim his experience starting 2 years after the end date of the degree? Actually I completed my degree in 2002 and for the first 2 years I was not employed. I started working in 2004 and since then I've 8 years of experience. Will ACS still deduct 2 years from my experience? I know you might feel why I'm asking this question as my degree is not recognized at all. But I don't want to leave the hope.

Thanks,
Ankit

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well Ankit as i stated earlier it would be worthless if you apply for ACS with your qualification as you are sure to get negative assessment, so please think before you spend money.

Option is RPL but again with no tertiary qualification they consider 8 years of working exp= Bachelors in ICT which means your work exp will be deducted and you will be awarded 'skilled' employment from 2012 as you started working in 2004 which leaves you with zero points for work experience.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am sorry but this is reality, i am also stuck whether i should i apply using RPL or straight as i had some ICT content in my Diploma in Mech Engg.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am sorry but this is reality, i am also stuck whether i should i apply using RPL or straight as i had some ICT content in my Diploma in Mech Engg.
Ajay, thanks for the quick replies. I'm copying some excerpts from the ACS Skills Assessment Guidelines for Applicants:

===================================================
"Recognised degree" means a degree normally awarded by a foreign educational institution, after successful completion of a program of study in ICT, in which the program has been –

 Accredited by the responsible accrediting body in that country, which is a signatory to the Seoul Accord, or
 Evaluated by the ACS as being equivalent to a degree accredited by the ACS or a signatory of the Seoul Accord. These programs do not appear on the list of qualifications formally recognised under the Seoul Accord.

It clearly states that the degrees awarded by foreign educational institution must either be recognized in their own country OR evaluated by ACS as being equivalent to a degree acreddited by the ACS.

Also, this comparison is done based on your degree course structure that you submit. I've a couple of friends in Australia and they all tell me that the course structure that I submit to ACS is the only criteria to have +ve or -ve assessment of the education.

I do understand you have received -ve assessment, but before submitting your application, did you do the ground work of making sure that the course structure looks to be in inline with the AQF?

I ask you these questions because we both are in the same boat and can understand each other's situation better than anyone else can. And probably can help each other as well.

Thanks,
Ankit

Reactions: pumbaa_g

·
Registered
269 Posts
I suggest you take advice of any MARA Agents , i am sure they will be able to help you in this regards, i too was under impression that it was on purely syllabus basis but its not and it was being warned to me by my MARA agent still i went ahead with assessment.

I was wrong but after research and expert's advice on this forum i am going apply first directly with my Diploma qualification as it has 20% of ICT content and hope for positive feedback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ajay, thanks for the quick replies. I'm copying some excerpts from the ACS Skills Assessment Guidelines for Applicants:

"Recognised degree" means a degree normally awarded by a foreign educational institution, after successful completion of a program of study in ICT, in which the program has been –

 Accredited by the responsible accrediting body in that country, which is a signatory to the Seoul Accord, or
 Evaluated by the ACS as being equivalent to a degree accredited by the ACS or a signatory of the Seoul Accord. These programs do not appear on the list of qualifications formally recognised under the Seoul Accord.

It clearly states that the degrees awarded by foreign educational institution must either be recognized in their own country OR evaluated by ACS as being equivalent to a degree acreddited by the ACS.

Also, this comparison is done based on your degree course structure that you submit. I've a couple of friends in Australia and they all tell me that the course structure that I submit to ACS is the only criteria to have +ve or -ve assessment of the education.

I do understand you have received -ve assessment, but before submitting your application, did you do the ground work of making sure that the course structure looks to be in inline with the AQF?

I ask you these questions because we both are in the same boat and can understand each other's situation better than anyone else can. And probably can help each other as well.

Thanks,
Ankit
So as you mentioned, I have to provide the courses for the degree related to the ICT right? It was a 4-year process, and I am sure more than 25% of the courses were about the ICT field.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts