Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nglish tv in cyprus ?
There are only two real ways of receiving UK tv in Cyprus.

One is through a satellite dish and the other is through the Internet.

Satelite options are through a sky box or through a dreambox. Both options require a dish ranging in size from 2.7m minimum upto to 4.2m depending on your location. Still you will not receive all the channels you normally do through a sky box as we are just too far away from the UK to get a decent strength signal so some channels you simply will not get no matter how big your dish is.

Dreamboxes can be used for sky too but will suffer the same problems of not having all channels. It can also be used for channels located on other satellites that broadcast in English on eg Hotbird satellite. There are lots of good installers on the island I'm sure you can get lots of recommendations from other users.

The other option is through the Internet which means you will need to install Internet. A lot of people connect laptops to the tv or iPads and watch through bbciplayer or other catchup services. Websites like filmon broadcast the freeview channels live so that is an option too. All these will require you to sign up to a VPN service which basically allows you to acces the programme content on eg BBC iplayer as these only allow access if you're in the UK. The VPN makes it appear as though you are in the UK.

Another option is a slingbox which again works through the Internet, it connects to equipment in the uk eg a skybox and it sends the pictures to your tv in cyprus through the internet and and some equipment connected to your tv to receive the pictures much like a satellite box. If you have a relative in the uk they can set one up for you. Alternatively there are companies that will do it all for you if do not have anyone in the UK.

Another option some people use is to record programmes onto USBs and connect it to your tv or laptop if your tv doesnt have a USB option. You can get a USB sent over from relatives who can record things for your or download content from torrent sites yourself.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
All you require is an iPad and Apple TV and a HDMI cable to connect to a HD Tv. The Apple TV is a small box which costs about Euro 130.
Just get Filmon from apple store(free) and watch BBC ITV Dave and many others.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you go down the appletv route, several things to consider.

I do not recommend it if you are like watching UKTV in High Defintion (HD). There is no point in paying for a big screen HD capable tv and then watching in Standard Definition (SD).

Applications like filmon do no broadcast in HD (unless you pay) and the quality of the re-broadcast is not great but if this does not bother you this is a viable solution.

Of course the ipad is capable of HD, but the apps used to broadcast eg UK TV do not have and HD offering. I download movies from appletv and the HD quality offering is great, crystal clear.

You can also connect the ipad direct to the TV and save money on the appletv however this means every time you want to change channel you will have to get up and got to the ipad. If you have the appletv the ipad acts as a remote control and you can change through the freeview channels offered on filmon from the comfort of your sofa.

PS in my previous post I said you will need a VPN, just to clarify the VPN is only required for the official catch-up pages run by eg ITV, BBC and SKY etc. Unofficial sites like filmon do not require you to use a VPN as there effectively "illegal."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yiannis75 said:
If you go down the appletv route, several things to consider.

I do not recommend it if you are like watching UKTV in High Defintion (HD). There is no point in paying for a big screen HD capable tv and then watching in Standard Definition (SD).

Applications like filmon do no broadcast in HD (unless you pay) and the quality of the re-broadcast is not great but if this does not bother you this is a viable solution.

Of course the ipad is capable of HD, but the apps used to broadcast eg UK TV do not have and HD offering. I download movies from appletv and the HD quality offering is great, crystal clear.

You can also connect the ipad direct to the TV and save money on the appletv however this means every time you want to change channel you will have to get up and got to the ipad. If you have the appletv the ipad acts as a remote control and you can change through the freeview channels offered on filmon from the comfort of your sofa.

PS in my previous post I said you will need a VPN, just to clarify the VPN is only required for the official catch-up pages run by eg ITV, BBC and SKY etc. Unofficial sites like filmon do not require you to use a VPN as there effectively "illegal."
Hi what is vpn thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have lost Filmon it is no longer in Apple apps any ideas?
Do you mean the app is no longer on your ipad?

Or do you mean the app is no longer available for download in the App Store?

I've checked the app store and you are right its not there, its no longer available for download. However it does appear on my ipad and my iphone and both work.

The only thing I can think is it has been pulled either by Apple or the developer. I know they were in the courts as they are not allowed to broadcast the UK channels as they don't have the rights. Whether this is the case or not though I cannot say for sure.

What I will say though is that the app works on both my iphone and ipad. However I should add Im in the UK at the moment so maybe they have pulled it for everyone who doesn't have a UK ip address.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just had a friend in Nicosia confirm its fine on his ipad and iphone so perhaps you have deleted it?

He also confirmed it does not appear in his app store either so it has definitely been pulled. Maybe the transmission will cease shortly too or maybe a new version of the app will appear.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think I have a workaround for you if you have lost the app from your ipad.

Launch safari and go to the filmon website from your ipad, you should still be able to access your channels there. Select the full screen option and connect your ipad to your TV or access through the apple tv icon.

That should work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re the comments on this thread regarding using an Ipad to view uk. We are thinking of getting an Ipad3 before we come over to Cyprus in Sept. Would a 16gb model be sufficient for viewing or would a larger memory be needed/recommended?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re the comments on this thread regarding using an Ipad to view uk. We are thinking of getting an Ipad3 before we come over to Cyprus in Sept. Would a 16gb model be sufficient for viewing or would a larger memory be needed/recommended?
That model will be fine they all have the smae processors which is the main issue not the memory . The 16GB memory is for storing stuff like apps on your ipad, its wont affect you TV viewing.

You will need a cable to connect it to the TV so make sure you bring one with you. If not you can always order online when in Cyprus.

·
Super Moderator
12,557 Posts
We bought an IPad last week, got all the necessary cables etc to connect it to the TV. The problem is its useless as the stupid programmes keep freezing and sometimes crash completely. Its very frustrating to have spent so much money and still not to have solved the problem.:mad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
We bought an IPad last week, got all the necessary cables etc to connect it to the TV. The problem is its useless as the stupid programmes keep freezing and sometimes crash completely. Its very frustrating to have spent so much money and still not to have solved the problem.:mad:
Could be one of many things.

What speed Internet do you have?

Does the picture freeze on the iPad or just the tv while the iPad keeps playing?

Are you watching through an app? Like bbc iplayer app. If so does the whole programme crash? Ou could try removing apps and re installing them again.

·
Super Moderator
12,557 Posts
Could be one of many things.

What speed Internet do you have?

Does the picture freeze on the iPad or just the tv while the iPad keeps playing?

Are you watching through an app? Like bbc iplayer app. If so does the whole programme crash? Ou could try removing apps and re installing them again.
We are watching via film on. Maybe it is the internet speed.:confused2:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.