Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I would share a personal perspective that is growing stronger as time goes by.

I believe that almost all posters to this forum have something to contribute. I say "almost" as I have not read what all posters have contributed since the inception of this forum and I dare say that if I did I would find some posters that were right out of left field or perhaps from "outer space" in their thought process, with basically nothing to contribute except garbage.

Posters could probably be categorized into many slots but for the purpose of this post, I put them into three categories.

The first category would include those that post but have never visited Mexico but are somewhat or sincerely interested in learning more about it to determine if they would consider a visit or perhaps retirement in Mexico. They simply ask questions and build on their knowledge of Mexico. They might, from time to time, post a meaningful comment but they could also make a comment that is erroneous due to lack of knowledge or understanding of the situation. Sometimes they can be very emphatic although it is clear they are way out in left field.

The second category includes those that have progressed past the first stage and are well into their plans to move to Mexico. They have accumulated the answers to many of their questions and are starting to understand the difference in culture and daily living in Mexico. They probably have visited Mexico for a couple of weeks or months. Perhaps they have done this for several years as snowbirds. They are in a position to contribute to the forum and help those in the first stage. From time to time, due to their expertise in some avenue of life, they can benefit even those that have been in Mexico for quite some time. They can even teach an "old dog some new tricks." At the same time they may make mistakes in their contributions to the forum due again to a lack of knowledge in the finer points of living in Mexico and how things are done there. In this connection they need correction and tutoring so that they can progress onto a fuller understanding of Mexican life.

Of course the third category includes those that have already made the move to Mexico. These can range from recent arrivals to those that have been in Mexico for 10 or 20 years. It could also include those that are still in their homeland but have spent considerable time in Mexico over a period of years. The knowledge of everyday life and the hoops that someone has to jump through to legally meet all the requirements of an expat living in a foreign country is extensive and invaluable. Many of them use their knowledge freely to contribute to this forum and expand the knowledge of both those in category one and two. That in itself is sufficient but if they choose they can accept the responsibility to tutor those in category two so that they might migrate to the third category. As they get older, it would be a fine thing if they would pass on their knowledge to the newer generation although when I say "newer" I do not reflect their age but rather the experience they have of Mexico.

Many thanks to those in the third group who selflessly gave of their time and knowledge to impart both knowledge, understanding and wisdom to those in the other categories. May they continue to do so without an extreme critique but rather with a nurturing spirit.

And may those in the first and second categories always appreciate and respect those that have lived in Mexico for many years and understand that as far as Mexican living goes they have information to impart that is priceless and should be respected. Those in categories one and two are the students. Category three should be the teachers although they can still learn things from those in categories one and two as they have different and valuable experiences in various facets of life.

Whether you agree or not with what I have postulated I am sure that you appreciate this forum very much or you wouldn’t be here and reading this post. Thanks to all as I continue to learn. It makes the whole process easier.

You might want to express how this forum has benefited you?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
All message boards are the same as far as the knowledge/personality split. I will say I haven't had the urge to correct people here ... but that takes energy so I don't do it much anywhere.

Take what's good and leave the rest

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think I'm somewhere in between group 1 & group 2. We are well into our plans and are within 3 months of our move, but I still have loads of things to learn, questions to ask and mistakes to make.

I love this forum! I peruse it daily, it makes me feel closer to Mexico, and although some of what I read is just tidbits I may never use, often the discussion is about things I haven't even come to think about. I find this forum very useful and somehow comforting- maybe in my nervousness about becoming fluent as quickly as possible; there are a couple of kids and one adult in my town who speak English, (of and of course my husband), but I am focused and determined to improve my passable espanol as quickly as possible.

I am also comforted by all the stories I read here that support my impressions and experience of the Mexican people and culture- a beautiful loving and fun people. De todos modos, I am very happy to be a part of this forum and appreciate what I receive from visiting the site daily!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm just making the big move to Mexico and the information I'm finding here has been extremely helpful. I'm sure I'll be popping on here daily for the next few weeks soaking up as much info as I can.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is a fantastic place with volumes of invaluable information and helpful posters. The specific details about how to do things legally, where to find such and such product, the best route from point A to point B, pitfalls to watch for, etc. are incredibly helpful.

The one thing that can at times be difficult to get past is the occasional snippy response to a question whose answer seems obvious to an experienced expat but is not to a newbie. Or the infamous impatient response "Try doing a search first; this has been discussed ad nauseum on this message board." Sometimes search results don't turn up the exact information one is looking for, or they are so voluminous that the information is very difficult to sift through to find what one needs. This is not just here (and doesn't happen all that often here), but is seen any informational message board. I've always thought it kinder not to reply than to disparage the question poster.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Detail: Haven't you yet learned never to ask me an open ended question unless you have a good 1/2 hour to read the response? No seriously.

Your grouping are spot on and I fall in later stages of Group 2 - in my mind I already live there, it is just my body that resides in Baltimore and has to stay here until after our son gets married and my wife retires.

The "vets" here, and you know who you are (group Three-ers) are indeed good teachers and I have come to value their advice. As a Group 2er, I am not in a position to question there knowledge on a day-to-day existence, but contribute that naivete that a proselyte brings to a new convent (did I mix my metaphors?)

This Forum, and all it's characters have become my friend, I read and post daily, it and them connect me to something that has become very important in my life, beginning a new adventure and turning a page. On those days where there is no BOLD titles on the home page, it is very dark indeed, I wait to hear.

I feel comfortable here, even though I may not agree with everything that is posted, but then I don't agree with everything my kids say either. I like the civility and respect shown and given to each other...a rare thing these days.

So, how do I feel about this Forum? Only the greatest affection and care - care that is remains as it is, that it continues to educate and elucidate and provide for some of us a way to express our hopes and dreams for a future.

I thank you all - and cannot wait to meet IRL, some of you in two weeks in Lakeside!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The replies so far are excellent and are exactly what I was hoping for. Well said!

I have enjoyed this forum for several years prior to joining. (Yes, I was a lurker!!) I didn't join previously because I was too much of a newbie but after visiting Mexico and Lakeside a number of times and staying for a number of months I felt it would be appropriate to join. I continue to learn daily.

I thought this would be an opportunity for individuals to express their appreciation for this forum as to how it has helped or affected them.

Time to let those in Category three know what we really think of them and their comments!!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hmmm. I really think that, so far, the most important thing I've gotten from this board is the willingness of the group 3 folks to discuss issues that are not subject to yes/no answers.

I've tried other boards where one person can, simply by being obnoxious, drive away many others. Or boards that are so inactive as to be unhelpful. When you look for information and see that the most recent post was 2 weeks ago, that's not a good sign.

Internet boards like this, with a particular purpose, need watering and care. They also need a critical mass of posters to keep them lively.

I feel comfortable that when DH and I are getting ready to visit next fall or next winter, that any questions I have at the time will be answered, either by searching, or by asking.

I'm just grateful y'all are here!

·
Super Moderator
9,050 Posts
I feel comfortable that when DH and I are getting ready to visit next fall or next winter, that any questions I have at the time will be answered, either by searching, or by asking.
A quick question: What does DH mean?

·
Super Moderator
9,050 Posts
Dear (or dearest) Husband.

I forget that the acronyms I take for granted aren't universal. So sorry!

DD = Dear Daughter

DS = Dear Son

MIL and FIL are mother and father in law

SIL is sister in law, BIL, etc.
Thanks. I had figured out the in-law acronyms, but the others left me for a loop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have not been a member that long, but I have gotten alot of great and useful information and made some friends I hope to meet in person one of these days. This forum has made our adventure to Mexico much more enjoyable, going in with both eyes open and not blind.

·
Registered
230 Posts
As a relatively newbie group 3er, I can say that without this board my initiation into Mexico would have been stressful. With the help of so many here my transition has been an adventure. I left my American family back in the US and although I have no desire to ever live in the US again, it is comforting to have a new (mostly) American family here on the board who understand with humor and support wholely my joy at living in Mexico. (I dearly love my US family, but other than my two grown children (who think Mom is pretty cool), my family does not understand or approve of my decision to live in Mexico). Ah, who knows, maybe someday they'll change their thinking?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Detail: Haven't you yet learned never to ask me an open ended question unless you have a good 1/2 hour to read the response? No seriously.

Your grouping are spot on and I fall in later stages of Group 2 - in my mind I already live there, it is just my body that resides in Baltimore and has to stay here until after our son gets married and my wife retires.

The "vets" here, and you know who you are (group Three-ers) are indeed good teachers and I have come to value their advice. As a Group 2er, I am not in a position to question there knowledge on a day-to-day existence, but contribute that naivete that a proselyte brings to a new convent (did I mix my metaphors?)

This Forum, and all it's characters have become my friend, I read and post daily, it and them connect me to something that has become very important in my life, beginning a new adventure and turning a page. On those days where there is no BOLD titles on the home page, it is very dark indeed, I wait to hear.

I feel comfortable here, even though I may not agree with everything that is posted, but then I don't agree with everything my kids say either. I like the civility and respect shown and given to each other...a rare thing these days.

So, how do I feel about this Forum? Only the greatest affection and care - care that is remains as it is, that it continues to educate and elucidate and provide for some of us a way to express our hopes and dreams for a future.

I thank you all - and cannot wait to meet IRL, some of you in two weeks in Lakeside!
:D:D FHBoy, please watch your langauge. If you continue to use words like "proselyte" and "convert" RVGringo will not speak to you. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
There are other possible categories within the three basic levels.

Some people are very aware that their experiences are determined by where they live and their circumstances.

A few project their own circumstances and choices to all. I am well aware I can only write about certain places within my own experiences. I am also aware that few would want to live in a Third World village and try to phrase my postings based on that knowledge.

As an example, some years ago on a board was a discussion of a traditional practice of many Mexican men. In Mexico City, they say casita. In Guadalajara they say casa chica, and folks in Guad. had no idea there were regional differences in usage, which made for some unpleasant times. Just as there are sharp regional differences in the US, so there are in Mexico. That is why I think it is important that people not be shouted down or insulted for different opinions.

My main concern on this board is the fact I do not wish to mix politics with Mexico living. And, sometimes there are people whose opinions are as strong as mine, but they are less willing to avoid the political. or, perhaps they are not aware their opinions are political in nature, I do not know. So, I have to tread very carefully to avoid conflict.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
There are other possible categories within the three basic levels.

Some people are very aware that their experiences are determined by where they live and their circumstances.

A few project their own circumstances and choices to all. I am well aware I can only write about certain places within my own experiences. I am also aware that few would want to live in a Third World village and try to phrase my postings based on that knowledge.

As an example, some years ago on a board was a discussion of a traditional practice of many Mexican men. In Mexico City, they say casita. In Guadalajara they say casa chica, and folks in Guad. had no idea there were regional differences in usage, which made for some unpleasant times. Just as there are sharp regional differences in the US, so there are in Mexico. That is why I think it is important that people not be shouted down or insulted for different opinions.

My main concern on this board is the fact I do not wish to mix politics with Mexico living. And, sometimes there are people whose opinions are as strong as mine, but they are less willing to avoid the political. or, perhaps they are not aware their opinions are political in nature, I do not know. So, I have to tread very carefully to avoid conflict.
I appreciate that you could break down the three levels. As originally stated:

"Posters could probably be categorized into many slots but for the purpose of this post, I put them into three categories."

I tried to categorize them as to experience and knowledge as to how they both benefit and contribute to this forum from the viewpoint of a person wanting to become an expat in Mexico or looking for information as to how to assimilate into Mexican life in a "general" way.

Therefore, the purpose of this thread is not to put people into different categories of life's experience in every possible area of Mexcio.

So, not neccesarily looking for people's life experiences. Simply attempting to extract people's viewpoints of this forum and how they as individuals have
benefited from it. Simple as that.
:focus:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I guess I fall into category 3, having been in Mexico for five years and an expat for more than 30. I enjoy reading about other people's locations and lifestyles, some of which are very different from my own. Also, I've been used to a younger international group of working expats, rather than so many from the US who are retirement age like myself but moving to another country for the first time. That has been disorienting, but reading the forum has helped me to better understand where people are "coming from", so to speak. I suspect the initial transition was a lot easier for me at age 29 than it has been for many of you!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
How true! I do have fun with them when 'they' ring the bell on their 'missions'. They don't come back. :)
When our daughter lived in the south of Italy, we were walking near the University in Bari, our last full day with her. There were a group of young American Mormons there, with a table set up.

One of them approached us, smiling, having heard us speaking English. (Bari is not a big tourist destination for Americans). He, of course, had a job to do: try to preach to us.

We, on the other hand, had no such corresponding job. So I started to talk to him about being so far from home, and missing his mom/his mom missing him, etc.

We never did get on the subject of Latter Day Saints, and had a nice conversation, instead.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.