Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,
I am in a de facto relationship and have been with my partner for 18months now.. I have just got clearance from Immigration to be allowed to stay here on a Sub class Temporary visa 820.
I keep getting charged this TFN tax in my bank..every month.. as I am not permanent.. but I do not work.. I am 60 and get a small pension from the UK.. Do I have to pay this until I become permanent?

Also on a totally different topic..if my partner.. who is an Australian citizen gets into debt.. will I be held legally liable for it? Or would it only happen if we got married ? I have my own bank account as well as a joint one. Thanks folks

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Bluebird:

You'll be paying the non-resident tax rate until you become a PR.

As for you becoming liable for another debts I doubt it, but check with a solicitor about that if worried.

Hi there,
I am in a de facto relationship and have been with my partner for 18months now.. I have just got clearance from Immigration to be allowed to stay here on a Sub class Temporary visa 820.
I keep getting charged this TFN tax in my bank..every month.. as I am not permanent.. but I do not work.. I am 60 and get a small pension from the UK.. Do I have to pay this until I become permanent?

Also on a totally different topic..if my partner.. who is an Australian citizen gets into debt.. will I be held legally liable for it? Or would it only happen if we got married ? I have my own bank account as well as a joint one. Thanks folks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I kinda thought that was the case but just wanted someone to tell me ..Puts my mind at rest.. much obliged to you.. cheers:clap2:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
The 820 visa subclass is a spouse visa (onshore).

Dolly

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Until a person with an AU bank account supplies a TFN the bank will take out maximum interest per ATO tax rules. Once the TFN is supplied any extra tax paid may be claimed back.

Also AU does have a non-resident tax rate.

But the OP doesn't work? Why does he pay tax through TFN?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another quick question.. My divorce will be through this weekend and I can claim on my ex..s pension..as soon as I send through the decree nisi etc.. but if I got married over here, would I get no pension at all or would I lose my ex..s pension? Thanks so much..

·
Registered
13 Posts
A few thoughts:

- Could you actually just get a TFN? There is a link on the ATO website about this which I will post once I'm authorised to post urls !

- Are you Australian tax resident (just for living there). Again there is an ATO tool that will tell you and I'll post the URL when I can.

(If you are Aus tax resident then you'll possibly need to pay tax on the UK pension)

- If you're not Australian tax resident then your bank should possibly be deducting "witholding" tax at 10%. You'd need to check with them but if this applies, it might be instead of the TFN tax rather than in addition.

Jim Hennington

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another quick question.. My divorce will be through this weekend and I can claim on my ex..s pension..as soon as I send through the decree nisi etc.. but if I got married over here, would I get no pension at all or would I lose my ex..s pension? Thanks so much..

Where you say you can 'claim on your ex..s pension', do you know how this will work in legal terms?

Ie. Is it a formal "pension share" (I'm assuming it's a UK pension you're talking about)? If so, then after an official "pension sharing order" your portion is yours to keep as it's in your name. But you should confirm this with the solicitor handling the "pension sharing order".

There are other ways of claiming on an ex-spouses UK pension, such as 'earmarking' but I'm not sure if this is used anymore.

I hope that helps.

Jim Hennington

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Bluebird:

You'll be paying the non-resident tax rate until you become a PR.

As for you becoming liable for another debts I doubt it, but check with a solicitor about that if worried.
No - long term temporary residents can be (and usually are) tax resident in Australia.

Permanent residency in a migration law sense is not the same thing as being a tax resident of Australia.

Best regards.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again.. I applied for a Tax file number ..What do I do then? Do I take the tax file number into my bank to get a refund.. or do I have to apply on some other form to the Tax Office..?
Again much obliged for all your help.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When does the current financial year end ? Will I continue to pay TFN on my interest even after I get my TFN number until I submit my returns?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Australian tax year ends on 30th June.

Once you have provided your bank with your Tax File Number interest should be paid to you from that point onwards on a gross basis - assuming you also provide an Australian postal address.

Best regards.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you very much for your help..One last question.. Does that mean that I cannot submit any of my bank details to the Tax Office until next June.. as that is my only source of income ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts