Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How do I Aviod Apt Rental Scams

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  movingtobcn 
#1 ·
Ive spent hours and have finally decided on an apt. Beautiful place, great location, great price.

400 euros a month.
600 security deposit, refundable.

Hasnt asked for money until now that Ive agreed to rent.

These has been the last requests from the renter:
my name
address
date of move in/out
copy of passport/id

which will initialize the rental contract.
and proceed with my full payment of 1000 euros (before my arrival)

this insures a recieipt and the lease contract making myself a legal tenant..

ok...

ive googled his name and its popped up on scam lists..

is there anything alarming abt this process. thats usually how it goes where i live and rent.

i wasnt going to pay anything until the owner and myself were physically present at the apartment anyway.

and furthermore.. when a refund is expected for the security deposit, how does that work out when the rentee has left the country??

thanks agn in advance for you help :clap2:

See less See more
#2 ·
I know its not easy, but I personally wouldnt ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever............ recommend renting a property without seeing it!! At best you dont get a true picture of the property (photos lie!), at worst you're asking to be scammed! Come over and do it when you're here

As for return of the deposit (Which shouldnt ever be more than one months rental) Most people dont pay the last months rent

Jo xxx

#3 ·
hi jo i agree with you 100%

barcelona has soo many apts. one week at a hotel is roughly the price of one month at an apt.

but i will never send money in advanve until i am physically present.

and you say i should only pay another 400 for the deposit and just not pay my last months rent :confused2:

i honestly think i wont stay longer that 2 months.. i need to conserve so that i can return in the future. this is a "test" trip

#5 ·
just saw this after my last reply - & just remembered that you want a holiday let essentially - so the 'rental laws' don't apply

I still wouldn't pay more than a month rent upfront & a month deposit at the very most - I don't know anything about the law for holiday rentals though

Reactions: movingtobcn
#4 ·
it's very simple

never pay anything until you move in

never move into a property you haven't actually visited

for a proper rental contract you only legally have to pay 1 month rent in advance & 1 month as a deposit

as far as getting the deposit back......................good luck with that - I've yet to meet anyone who has actually managed to get their deposit back

#8 ·
I ought to point out that tenants are legally ovliged to pay the last months rent and landlords are legally obliged to pay back the deposit as long as the terms have been adhered to - hhhmmmm, as Xabiachica says, we've yet to hear of that happening!!!!

Jo xxx

#9 ·
I ought to point out that tenants are legally obliged to pay the last months rent and landlords are legally obliged to pay back the deposit as long as the terms have been adhered to - hhhmmmm, as Xabiachica says, we've yet to hear of that happening!!!!

Jo xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.