Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a second hand car from a Spanish guy. He tells me that the car is not financed, but how can I as a buyer find out if this is indeed the case?

Is there something written on the registration card?

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,932 Posts
Hi,
When you go to the RTA centre to register the car in your name - the RTA will certainly know whether the seller has good title.
For this reason, many people don't hand over the payment for the car, until it is confirmed by the RTA that the car is able to be sold and registered in new buyers name.
As both parties need to be present for the registration change - then this seems to be a sensible way.
If a seller does not agree - then alarm bells should start to ring!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So does that mean if we sit at the RTA desk and the car has financing the RTA will not transfer ownership unless we both agree or something?

I'm just thinking that the seller could just be 'hiding' the fact that it is financed, and then when the ownership is transferred I'm stuck with the payments :D

·
Registered
451 Posts
So does that mean if we sit at the RTA desk and the car has financing the RTA will not transfer ownership unless we both agree or something?

I'm just thinking that the seller could just be 'hiding' the fact that it is financed, and then when the ownership is transferred I'm stuck with the payments :D
Ownership can never be transferred to you if 1 dirham is pending. If finance is still ongoing there is co-ownership of the car between the seller and the bank, in order for him to release the car, the bank has to issue a letter to RTA.

If RTA clears the ownership transfer you are good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts