Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in Barcelona for school and will need to open a Spanish bank account to link with my school for tuition. Once I go to the police station to finalise my visa I will have a NIE. The only thing I'm worried about is that I will be renting a room within an apartment--not the apartment itself. How can I prove my residency if I won't have any bills in my name? Also what documentation do you typically need to open an account?

And lastly, do they have bank accounts for students???

Thank you in advance,

Jackson

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use BBVA. You will need passport, residency and I think that is it. BBVA are excellent with their online banking especially (with English language option, as well as Catalan).

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
All you actually need is a passport and some money.

Many banks ask for an NIE but not all - you certainly do NOT need residency to open a non-resident account.

It can then be converted to a resident account later when you,ve sorted all your paperwork.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have Lupus and Need to Find a Doctor

Hello,

Second question. I have a mild form of Lupus and Sjogren's Syndrome and eventually need to find a doctor so that I can get prescriptions for Plaquenil, pain killers and prednisone just in case I have a flare that needs to be treated. I have private insurance as required by my student visa but I doubt preexisting conditions are covered.

So basically I just need a doctor to write a script for the medications. In the chance that my insurance rejects the prescription claim is it expensive to buy medications out of pocket? Prednisone is typically very cheap as is Plaquenil as they're older drugs. I'm just not sure because I'm in Spain.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Many banks ask for an NIE but not all - you certainly do NOT need residency to open a non-resident account.

It can then be converted to a resident account later when you,ve sorted all your paperwork.
Awesome thank you! I will have NIE regardless. I actually have to get the NIE before I do anything because that is how I register with the region. It's a requirement of my visa if I want to stay more than 3 months. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
36,524 Posts
Awesome thank you! I will have NIE regardless. I actually have to get the NIE before I do anything because that is how I register with the region. It's a requirement of my visa if I want to stay more than 3 months. Thanks again!
You'll need to register on the padrón & then apply for your TIE - not just NIE

As for your medications, even if the doctor via your insurance issues a prescription, it will be a private prescription & you will have to pay the full costs of the medication.

You could just take an empty packet to a farmacia. They might be available OTC, but even if not, you could find out the cost that way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Do you know which banks issue a non-resident account?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll need to register on the padrón & then apply for your TIE - not just NIE

As for your medications, even if the doctor via your insurance issues a prescription, it will be a private prescription & you will have to pay the full costs of the medication.

You could just take an empty packet to a farmacia. They might be available OTC, but even if not, you could find out the cost that way.
How do I register on the padrón? I'm a little disappointed the Spanish consulate didn't explain the intricacies involved in applying for NIE/TIE. They made it seem like I could just go to the police station within days, present paperwork, and voila. If I'm understanding correctly I have to register online for an appointment? Anyone have the link to that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts