Tizipan El Alto
Jamay
San Juan Cosala
any others ?
?????

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The town I would pick would be about 30 miles away, I really do not think being so close to such a polluted lake is in my best interest..
I would pick the Guadalajara suburb of Tonala, famous for its artists and its twice weekly street market..
It still has a small town feel and is higher than Guadalajara thus avoiding much of the pollution plaguing GDL...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I've been wondering about ex-pat life in other towns around the Lake. Like:
Jocotepec
Tizipan El Alto
Jamay
San Juan Cosala
any others ?
?????
There are people happily living all around the lake. The only way you can get a "feel" for the various towns is to get those boots on the ground and check them out for yourself.

As far as the lake pollution another poster mentioned......whatever there is, is not going to bother anyone who isn't fool enought to drink its water or make a habit of swimming and swallowing in it. Most people here use big bottled garafons for drinking or have a filtering system in place.

I'm always amused by what I call the "reverse snobs" who say negative things about living in Ajijic as well as the regular "snobs" who think living there makes them "better than" somehow. They are both seeing things through tinted glasses.

That's true of all the towns around the lake. Just go look for yourself. You'll find a place that just feels "right".

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
There are people happily living all around the lake.
Yes I guess ignorance is bliss!
As far as the lake pollution another poster mentioned......whatever there is, is not going to bother anyone who isn't fool enought to drink its water or make a habit of swimming and swallowing in it.
Or eat the fish!
They are both seeing things through tinted glasses.
Folks that have an economic stake in the area are wearing the rose tinted glasses and are in denial...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
There are people happily living all around the lake.
Yes I guess ignorance is bliss!
As far as the lake pollution another poster mentioned......whatever there is, is not going to bother anyone who isn't fool enought to drink its water or make a habit of swimming and swallowing in it.
Or eat the fish!
They are both seeing things through tinted glasses.
Folks that have an economic stake in the area are wearing the rose tinted glasses and are in denial...
I gather that you feel others' choices are made in a state of ignorance and/or denial.
Rather a strong statement, implying that you have superior knowledge and/or clearer sight.
I'm curious about how you reached that conclusion.
Also, what factors entered into your own choice of residence, and are you satisfied with it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We live here in Ajijic. The lake is lovely. I watch children playing in it everyday while I walk . We lived on a river in the USA that you could not swim in ( (flesh eating bacteria, pollution)drink the water , and it was advised not to eat the fish. Some days the smell was so bad it would gage you. This river ran thru most of the state. I don't wear glasses of any color.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Each town has its own flavor. As suggested, it's best to check them all out to get a feel for them.
Joco for instance is all about berry production and farming. Quite different from Janay.
Regarding, expat life, however, the fact is that there are very few expats living in those towns so it's quite different then living in Ajijic where there are so many groups, clubs, activities, theaters (movie and plays), etc to take part in with other expats. If you want those sorts of things then you are not going to find them in Joco or Jamay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are living in Panama for right now. We relocated from the USA 2 years ago. We have run into the "self-anointed" privileged group in Boquete, Panama. So obnoxious that we are selling our home there and now live in El Valle de Anton, PA.

We just returned from a trip to your beautiful, lively and friendly area. We did our research and have decided we will move to your area. We would like to have a long-term lease in the Lake Chapala Country Club. Would anyone have knowledge of how to go about contacting rental agents or such? We would like to steer clear of the Century 21 offices.

We are excited about starting a new adventure, and this time we will have much more know-how in navigating in a new country.
Thanks,
Jan

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The OP writes:
"" We have run into the "self-anointed" privileged group in Boquete, Panama. So obnoxious that we are selling our home there and now live in El Valle de Anton, PA.""
Then writes:
""We would like to have a long-term lease in the Lake Chapala Country Club.""

Is it possible you might run into the same type of people you are moving away from might be the same types living at a Country Club???????

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The OP writes:
"" We have run into the "self-anointed" privileged group in Boquete, Panama. So obnoxious that we are selling our home there and now live in El Valle de Anton, PA.""
Then writes:
""We would like to have a long-term lease in the Lake Chapala Country Club.""

Is it possible you might run into the same type of people you are moving away from might be the same types living at a Country Club???????
If you want to avoid the "privileged" folks, a gated community is likely to have a fair share of them. You are more likely to find what you're comfortable with living in a mixed expat/Mexican neighborhood in one of the towns around Lake Chapala, from Chapala to Riberas, San Antonio, or Ajijic. One of the nicest fraccs in the area is Villa Nova, centrally located. Friends of mine live there and tell me that the HOA has a very light touch in rules and regs.
There are some good rental agencies in the area. Also, you could start your acquaintance by getting an online subscription to the Guadalajara Reporter, the weekly English language newpaper covering the area. Home
Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
The Lake area is large enoughto find a little bit of everything so I would not worry about any self anointd folks, they exist Lakeside but it is very easy to ignore them and they are no factor unless you want them to be.
The climate is very nice here.. I just got back from San Cristobal de las Casas which I love but the climate there is tough to take and I am sick again.. The weather Lakeside by comparaison is wonderful. It is cool right now but the sun is shining and if you stay in the sun you warm up very quickly.
In San Cristobal the altitude is way higher and you freeze in the shade and burn in the sun and that is on a good day..

I used to wonder about the villages around before I came to the area but it takes but a quick go around to figure out where you would bfeel more comfortable.. Rent and see what you think,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi PanamaJan1! Welcome to Lake Chapala. You can find all the rental agencies and real estate companies that do rentals in this blog here:

https://www.retireinlakechapala.net...jijic-Rentals-Where-To-Find-Rentals-in-Ajijic

I would suggest contacting each of them to see if they have, or are going to have available, a long term rental at the Country Club. It is a beautiful area out there! Enjoy.
It may be impossible until the snowbirds leave at the end of April but it is always a good idea to secure these things in advance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My contribution is ... I have read in many places that in Ajijic itself, noise can be an issue.

As in, Mexicans in general are not quiet people, and this rubs some expats the wrong way. I live in GDL, and many of the Mexicans here regard Ajijic as a place to visit and party. Also, there is a futbol stadium or two around the lake, and the games often run late into the night, with plenty of cheering fans and music playing.

As much as Ajijc is expat heavy, its still got plenty of Mexico going on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Chico, I am assuming that you have never seen the 'Country Club de Chapala'. It's not what the name may conjure up IMO. I would bet that no more than 25% of the homeowners there have even set foot on the 9-hole course.

The potential Panamanian folks who say they want to move there might want to visit it first as it is VERY hilly. One does NOT walk to and from their homes there (but most folks at Lakeside don't walk anywhere anyway!).

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Noise can be an issue anywhere in a town especially during the fiestas.. I live in Ajijic in a quiet area ..as quiet as it gets in a village or in a town in Mexico, you have the firecrakeers and cohetes from the churche but we do not have any noise on the street from noisy neighbors and we do not hear any traffic either , it is a question of picking your spot..The small bus runs one block from the house but we are on a dead end and do not hear it. We have no roof dogs .

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you want to be where the action is, then Ajijic is the place to be. Living in Chapala or Joco (Jocotepec) requires a car or taking public transportation to get to the action. The other villages do have activities but nothing like Ajijic.
We have only been here two winters (and one brief vacation way back in 2010) and have seen a definite upswing in new people coming to lakeside. That has made it more difficult for expats living here temporarily as many landlords are now asking for 1-year leases to secure a place. If you want to save on your rental or home purchase then living in the outlying villages is cheaper.
It all goes back to your priorities, life style, and what your budget is.

·
Registered
236 Posts
In years past almost every expat was SS age or better. That is changing. More and more 'early retirees' are there. Don't know the percentage mix but surely an overwhelming majority are SS age.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts